A L I E N Narcissus *Completed*

Apart from a couple of minor non-structural pieces, the acrylic is now done.
On the whole, it went together very well.
I did find a couple of areas that I could improve on (in terms of the way it goes togther) and have adjusted the model and files accordingly.

The top front of the ship has been made removable and is fixed in place with magnets.
This leaves the possibility of doing an interior in the future.
The underside panel at the rear (between the engines) is also removable - as per the original.
This allows removal of the airlock area and again the possibilty of adding details there too at a later date.

The next step is to spend some quality time with a sanding block patching/blending the panel seams and joints...

Capture114.jpg

Capture115.jpg

Capture116.jpg

Capture117.jpg

Wow. Impressive work. Thanks for posting all the progress shots. It's great watching it all come together.

I spent the weekend filling and sanding (and filling and sanding)...
- you know you've done a good weekends work when you have sanded down your fingertips until they bleed!).

*note to self - check the best before date on the bondo/filler before using, as product that is 11 years out of date doesn't set anymore...*

The top engines are now attached and look great - very happy with them.
They still need to be blended into the main hull at the top.

The top of the ship is pretty much done, but I'm spending the extra time to make sure I get this stage looking spot on.
It would be much harder to fix later on.

Starting to become a little more recognisable now....

Capture124.jpg

Capture125.jpg

Capture126.jpg

I've been working on and off during the week to finish off the filing and sanding.

The top is pretty much done now.
The engines have been blended into the main hull and the nozzle support "upstands" have been added (to the area below where the main engine nozzles will sit).
The piping for the small side thruster nozzle has been put in place too.

I'm currently working on the lower engines and will add them to the ship shortly.
Most of the filing and sanding on the underside is done too.

I'll update with some more pictures once the lower engines are attached.

Capture127.jpg

Capture128.jpg

The first stage of the build is now complete and the main hull acrylic is done.
Very happy with the way it's turned out so far.

I've added the engines to the underside and they fitted well.
They look sharp and clean with good definition in the panel lines.

I added all four nozzles to the engines and they fit nicely over the top of the supports (exactly as per the original model).

The only items that were molded and cast on the original ship were the engines and nozzles, eveything else was hand made.
Although I'm sure the intent was for the nozzle supports (and the trapezoid pieces below them) to be the same, I have confirmed via my CAD model that they each have subtle differences and are mostly unique.
All of the parts I have produced, replicate these variations.
I have used dowelled registration holes in the ship and in the parts to ensure that each part is located as it was on the original.

The underside has seen the addition of the turreted strips on either side at the rear.

I am currently printing the clamp attachments that fit on each side of the ship.
I have designed an armature plug that will allow them to have a push fit into the armature.
I will be able to use this on all four of the armature openings.

I've managed to track down another donor kit I was chasing.
That leaves just one more kit (with only a single piece left).

I will start work on producing the layouts for the styrene now and transfer them to the blank sheets I've purchased.

More updates soon...

Capture129b.jpg Capture130b.jpg Capture131b.jpg

Capture132.jpg Capture133.jpg

The docking clamps are done.
I wont attach them to the armature plugs until the styrene is in place, as they they need to be positioned over the styrene on the top side of the ship.

The parts layout is done and I will look at transferring it over to the plastic in the next few days.
I have also had my layouts printed out full size onto paper so that I can use them as templates for locating the (many!) parts as accurately as possible.

Capture135.jpg

Capture136.jpg Capture137.jpg

Capture138.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back