Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    South Oz
    1 Week Ago  Dec 4, 2017, 4:01 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #51

tmax said: View Post
    Ha ha, not really, wish it was done days ago. But these dang graphics...

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you good sir. I'd love to see a build thread of your Arc Gen. Hey, how are you going about the Alien Graphics?
    Ah yeah ... i haven't got that far yet, although i do have access to a laser cutter so that may be the direction i go.
    I am intending to post up a build thread, but was waiting till i had most of the gun printed and in a decent shape.
    From
    Middle Earth (aka - New Zealand)
    1 Week Ago  Dec 4, 2017, 5:18 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #52

paulsboutique said: View Post
    Ah yeah ... i haven't got that far yet, although i do have access to a laser cutter so that may be the direction i go.
    I am intending to post up a build thread, but was waiting till i had most of the gun printed and in a decent shape.
    Ha ha, yeah I use to be more like that. In fact I'd wait until the prop was finished before I posted a build thread. I've learnt it's much better to post as you go as you get loads of help from fellow members observing your build. And they don't seem to mind how long it takes to complete the build. As long as you're posting some kind of update once a week or so. Plus, I like or the compliments along the way. Keeps me motivated. ;-)
    From
    In my head
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 3:59 AM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #53

Oh man, where were you last week??! Ha ha. I'd love to see your work though. Can you post pics of your printed parts? Either here in this thread or your own build thread. I'd love to see how accurate yours is, etc.
    Yeah I check in from time to time. Some parts are proving difficult to sand (mostly due to printer issues) and I just haven't had time to get to it. I have some pics that I can post here if you're ok with that. Don't want to start my own thread.

I found the model on Thingiverse and noticed it needed a lot of work to make it more accurate. I sank in a considerable number of hours to fix it and make it as accurate as possible with what references I found or straight up remodelled some of the parts. It was difficult since editing stls are a pain. Speaking of which, I believe the man who sent you the parts is also using the same file. The missing side greeblies and the way the top cylinder sits gives it away (though he could be the one who modeled it I dunno).

One thing I'd mention off the bat, is it would be great if the model had "keyed" pieces, rather than just flat surfaces glued together.
    Oh yeah for sure. However I too just sliced the model straight. I tried exploring keys but I am still relatively new to 3d modelling and printing and getting them accurate on the stl was problematic. Not to mention all the support material that I would have had to remove which means the mating surfaces could only fit after a lot of prep work. I am anxious to get back to it but that will only happen after Jan. Good work so far!
  4. RPF Janitor RPF Premium Member Lear60man's Avatar
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 4:11 AM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #54

If my daughter brought home her man and he was stinking up my basement with chemicals............Id bring him a beer. Great build. You mentioned it dropped and broke, did you use any sort of plugs/dowels to strengthen the main parts? On solid resin Pulse Rifles, this helps a lot.
    From
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 9:35 AM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #55

Strode said: View Post
    Yeah I check in from time to time. Some parts are proving difficult to sand (mostly due to printer issues) and I just haven't had time to get to it. I have some pics that I can post here if you're ok with that. Don't want to start my own thread.

I found the model on Thingiverse and noticed it needed a lot of work to make it more accurate. I sank in a considerable number of hours to fix it and make it as accurate as possible with what references I found or straight up remodelled some of the parts. It was difficult since editing stls are a pain. Speaking of which, I believe the man who sent you the parts is also using the same file. The missing side greeblies and the way the top cylinder sits gives it away (though he could be the one who modeled it I dunno).

Oh yeah for sure. However I too just sliced the model straight. I tried exploring keys but I am still relatively new to 3d modelling and printing and getting them accurate on the stl was problematic. Not to mention all the support material that I would have had to remove which means the mating surfaces could only fit after a lot of prep work. I am anxious to get back to it but that will only happen after Jan. Good work so far!
    Yeah, post here, no probs. And yes, you are correct he used that full size one on thingiverse as the base then remodelled and modified it. Again, it's pretty inaccurate, but a good starting point.
    From
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 9:41 AM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #56

Lear60man said: View Post
    If my daughter brought home her man and he was stinking up my basement with chemicals............Id bring him a beer. Great build. You mentioned it dropped and broke, did you use any sort of plugs/dowels to strengthen the main parts? On solid resin Pulse Rifles, this helps a lot.
    Ha ha, well the basement already smelled of damp mold, so the chemicals are an improvement! Lol.

Unfortunately, each place it broke was just either side of the joins. So the actual joins (which were all flat surfaces) didn't break. The flat surfaces stayed together and the breaks were just beside the join. Very frustrating! So dowels would not have worked (although I did consider them) as the 3D filament is next to impossible to "drill" into. And even if you could it all just breaks loose anyway. I'll just have to consider this prop as fragile.

I did however use dowel in all the joins on my D9 Arc Gen resin kit from @wondersquid (unfinished)...

From
    6 Days Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 9:04 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #57

Got a couple hours on it tonight. Time to mask for the orange...

Laid down the orange...

Freaked out a bit here. The colour I am using is Pumpkin Orange by Krylon and I fear it's a touch pastel. But when I compared it to an orange warning label in the basement I found it wasn't that far off...

What do you guys think? I reckon it's not quite right, but then by the time I weather it with a couple washes, would you even tell...??? Thoughts?
    From
    Jacksonville. Fl
    6 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 2:12 AM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #58

You could try spraying a test on scrap with gloss black then you're orange. May dark it a pinch
    From
    6 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 9:01 AM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #59

sean said: View Post
    You could try spraying a test on scrap with gloss black then you're orange. May dark it a pinch
    Yeah, I'd considered that too. Tried a test on black this morning. Always a bit hard to tell with varying light, etc, but you can see it's a touch darker...

Also, figured I'd take it outside into daylight as it will look different again in natural light...

Looks pretty good here. But then compared to Olaf's orange nose it's still a muted orange.

Olaf is out in the light, I'm standing under the porch overhang (it's raining), but you get the idea. This orange just doesn't pop like it should. There were 2 types of Krylon orange at Canadian Tire, pumpkin and I think mandarin. Might pick up a can of Mandarin and try that. Don't want to go to all this effort and not be happy with the flippin colour. Lol.
    From
    6 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 2:51 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #60

Ok, so picked up the Mandarin and also a "Real Orange" by Rust-oleum as a back-up...

The difference between the Pumpkin and Mandarin is subtle, but the Mandarin definitely has slightly more "pop" to it...

So yeah, glad I changed the colour. Was only $5 per can as it's on clearance. Pretty happy with the overall colour now...

Last edited by tmax; 6 Days Ago at 3:38 PM.
    From
    Jacksonville. Fl
    6 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 3:42 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #61

Definitely better I believe. looking good. I think you need to send it across the pond so I can get a better look.
    From
    6 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 3:51 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #62

Definitely better I believe. looking good. I think you need to send it across the pond so I can get a better look.
    Ha ha, well we have fam in Lakeland FL. We'll be road-tripping down there on our way to Texas next year with all our stuff... might have to make a quick stop in Jacksonville.
    From
    Jacksonville. Fl
    6 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 3:55 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #63

your more than welcome my friend. but I wouldn't suggest it. I live In a very bad area. they call It sin city. and its true to Its name.
    From
    6 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 4:06 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #64

your more than welcome my friend. but I wouldn't suggest it. I live In a very bad area. they call It sin city. and its true to Its name.
    True?! Thanks for the heads up. How do you go about keeping your prop collection safe and sound? Must make you nervous. Then again, my collection is sitting in a shipping container on a trucking yard in the rough part of the city I'm from... I guess at the end of the day you gotta resolve that it's all just "stuff". As cool as it is of course.
    From
    Jacksonville. Fl
    6 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 4:14 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #65

True?! Thanks for the heads up. How do you go about keeping your prop collection safe and sound? Must make you nervous. Then again, my collection is sitting in a shipping container on a trucking yard in the rough part of the city I'm from... I guess at the end of the day you gotta resolve that it's all just "stuff". As cool as it is of course.

I worry about it most days. but I worry about my real firearms falling In the wrong hands more. gotta take It as It comes...
    From
    4 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 7:02 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #66

Ok, some good behind-the-scenes progress today! Finally found some Matt Clear (or "Clair" in French), also a nice dark metallic gun-metal grey. The grey is for the ends of the large canister and the tip of the small end canister.

Wanted to make a stand as this thing is pretty fragile. Ultimately it'll probably hang on a wall, but not while staying at the in-laws. Ha ha.

The U-hooks are rubber coated which is perfect. I'll paint the metal legs with some orange stripes and maybe some alien markings. The question is what to do with the base-board. Thought tread-plate could look good over the top. Considered the stick-on fake stuff, but at $20 a roll??

Then spotted a rubber mat that could work, painted silver.

But then flagged both of those for now and thought I'd see what's lying around my father-in-law's workshop. Stay tuned.

But the big news... Bill from Punished Props came back to me and was kind enough to send me his vector file for the alien graphics. Huge props to Bill for the hook-up. (Double pun fully intended! Lol.) Thanks Bill, so much appreciated.

Took the file to a local signage company and the stencil graphics will be ready to collect tomorrow. Stoked as!
    From
    Jacksonville. Fl
    4 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 8:51 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #67

Sweet! What form will they be in? Stencils you tape down an spray or stickers?
    From
    4 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 9:59 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #68

Sweet! What form will they be in? Stencils you tape down an spray or stickers?
    He basically provided a vector file, so a cut line for the shapes and graphics. So they will just provide a sheet of vinyl with the graphic stencils cut into it. I'll then cut a patch around each graphic (just roughly), then stick each patch where it belongs on the gun. Then I have to remove the graphics within each patch, mask around the patch and then go ahead and paint. Not sure if that all makes sense, but I'll take some pics as I go. :-)

My only real concern at this stage is that they don't have low-tack vinyl, it will just be standard vinyl. So I'll have to heat it up when removing it and hope it doesn't remove any paint. Eeek!
    From
    4 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 10:06 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #69

Removed the masking. The lines aren't as clean as I'd like, but once weathered they will sit well and look deliberate. Pretty dam happy with my angles though as these were done mostly by eye.

The metallic gun-metal grey is perfect! Stoked with this colour...

Spent the rest of the evening remasking for the black butt-plate and the stripe that goes around the tail end of the gun.

Hoping to have this finished by the end of the weekend as we're off to Toronto on Monday for a week and I really want it done before we go.
    From
    4 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 11:38 AM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #70

So much effort for so little pay-off! Lol...

Again, not fussed about the over-runs as these will get sorted in the finishing process.

And back to more masking...

And THREE hours later!!! Not kidding, took 3 flippin hours!

What a mission! Sheesh! But the final colour is down...

As hoped, the greeblies turned out pretty nice...

So that will be it for today (I think) as I'll let the black dry properly. Plus I need to get back to script writing.

Tomorrow will be Alien Graphics and weathering before final assembly. Whoop whoop!
    From
    4 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 5:48 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #71

Got the vinyl. As you can see it's only been cut, nothing "weeded" as yet.

Again, big thanks to Bill Doran for the hook up!
    From
    NSW, Australia
    3 Days Ago  Dec 9, 2017, 1:32 AM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #72

Looking good!, youve got me tempted to start a summer scratch build of my own!
    From
    Jacksonville. Fl
    3 Days Ago  Dec 9, 2017, 6:09 AM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #73

Ditto....
    From
    3 Days Ago  Dec 9, 2017, 11:05 AM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #74

Thanks guys. Getting there! Spent a few hours on it last night. Ready for graphics...

Ok, so first I cut the patch around the graphic...

When pulling off the vinyl it left behind the inserts, this made it a trick to place on the gun, but saved me then having to "weed" them out after...

Then masked around the patch...

Same for the front...

Ready for paint...

A bunch of coats later...

First remove the masking...

The end result...

I'd started with this guy which was seriously concerning as the orange paint was peeling off with the vinyl. Too many coats maybe?

But found the white on black was better (didn't have to heat up the vinyl either), as was the black on the white cylinder...

I had to modify the graphic for the cylinder, obviously it's a slightly different size than the one Bill had made...

But happy with the end result...

Finally, ready for weathering...

From
    South Oz
    2 Days Ago  Dec 9, 2017, 7:30 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #75

Wow that's looking great !! - have you cleared in Mat? or are you weathering first then going over it in clear?