District 9 Assault Rifle Build - Finished! (Pic heavy)

Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit)

Final primer sealer...

ihyqHox.jpg

Multiple layers of satin white...

MIAw3RA.jpg

Done for the day. I'll let it all sit for a day to let the paint cure before applying masking tape for the orange and black.

Also, hoping to get some alien "logo" stencils from a previous builder, or at least his print file. Will keep you posted.

Hey @Sewbacca can you please tell me what paint finish is on the rifle - gloss, satin or mat (flat). From what I can tell from the pics I’ve seen it’s either satin or mat, but hard to be sure. I’m using satin white, semi-gloss back and gloss orange but will then clear coat the body of the rifle in satin clear. Unless it’s meant to be flat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For sure, ill get some closeup pics for you soon, try for late this eve if I have a moment after working. It appears mostly a satin finish, the shiniest parts are the alien goop on the small tube canisters along the shaft of the rifle. The black, white and orange finish are pretty flat with just that satin finish. Also has some metallic brushed weathering used on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you @Swebacca for the pics! Very helpful. Looks more mat than satin in these pics.

Went to check on the rifle and found the white paint had finished a lot "bumpier" than desired. I mean, I can't spend hours and hours sanding out the print lines, only to leave a rough paint finish! So, more sanding and a repaint. This time a nice wet coat to ensure a smooth finish. The grain from my iphone in these pics makes it still look a little bumpy, but trust me, it's smooth as...

if8E4V9.jpg

N5qgcYr.jpg

mHr5fU2.jpg

MSPQsDs.jpg

2Ua6Gxw.jpg

Means I'll have to wait another day for it to dry again, but worth it. Besides still waiting to hear back about the alien "logos"...

You always make me jealous dude! :lol looking fantastic already, going to be a killer addition to your collection. :thumbsup

You always make me jealous dude! :lol looking fantastic already, going to be a killer addition to your collection. :thumbsup

Ha ha, I live to make you jealous sean! Call it payback bro. What goes around comes around. [emoji12]

Part of the fun of prop making. Repaint, sanding and repeat. Looking good.

The Weta paint finish to me is flat but has a very soft sheen to the finish.

@sewbecca sir would you mind doing me another favour, would you mind taking a close up pic of each side of the rifle where the black greeblies are...

0cc60dd97c7198a0ebd21168a6d6c9f1.jpg

Each side as I believe they are different.

Also, would you mind taking a pic and also measuring the raised portion of the “rail” that the 2 scope type pieces sit on...

a3d9068d0d8ecfc00b156674f64642dc.jpg

Bit hard to see in that pic but hopefully you know what I mean. The kit I have has no raised part for the scopes and I think it’s something I want to add.

Thanks so much mate!

Nice build, love seeing all the progress shots, just incase you havent seen this thread (https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=77512), it had lots of pics of what i assume was a screen used rifle, just thought they might be good for referencing

Thanks for the link. Shame none of the pics appear due to the photobucket issue. [emoji19]

I had already saved them onto my pc if u want them, i can post them here or email u if ur keen, nice shots of the fuel cannister thingy aswell

That would be great. Post them here as others may find them useful for future builds. Thanks!

What I’m really struggling with is how to do the alien markings. If anyone has some ideas, please speak up.

Perhaps you have already seen this, if not then maybe this will help with finishing your build.

Bill Doran of Punished Props made a video series of his District 9 Assault Rifle Build in 2015. In the following part 4 video (after the 3:40 time mark) he talks about using stencils with his vinyl cutter for the alien markings.

Mike J. shared some of the alien glyphs here in another build thread back in 2014.

I am glad another member is taking a crack at this. We rarely see any custom District 9 build these days. Looking forward to its final form.

Prop: Shop - Tested's District 9 Rifle Build: Part 1 Designing & Fabrication - YouTube

Prop: Shop - Tested's District 9 Rifle Build: Part 2 - Lathing and Molding - YouTube

Prop: Shop - Tested's District 9 Rifle Build: Part 3 - Matrix Mold - YouTube

Prop: Shop - Tested's District 9 Rifle Build: Part 4 - Casting & Painting - YouTube

Tested then did a final video covering the whole build.

Making a District 9 Alien Assault Rifle Prop Replica - YouTube

@sewbecca sir would you mind doing me another favour, would you mind taking a close up pic of each side of the rifle where the black greeblies are...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171126/0cc60dd97c7198a0ebd21168a6d6c9f1.jpg

Each side as I believe they are different.

Also, would you mind taking a pic and also measuring the raised portion of the “rail” that the 2 scope type pieces sit on...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171126/a3d9068d0d8ecfc00b156674f64642dc.jpg

Bit hard to see in that pic but hopefully you know what I mean. The kit I have has no raised part for the scopes and I think it’s something I want to add.

Thanks so much mate!

Here ya go tmax.

D66CAF6E-1A93-46ED-9555-7F90DA7799C0.jpeg

F838933A-6C77-4CF2-9459-BFD25032CC93.jpeg

80A74254-3A57-40DC-8BC3-3D8FA846955D.jpeg

39140C3F-40D5-40F1-9765-BC7671C2BD77.jpeg

3878F7C5-B352-48BA-941A-023EE6672B62.jpeg

5DFC46C3-991B-4D42-8976-F67136A807F8.jpeg

FF1D6FBC-6895-453F-9FD8-51C7F5AB751A.jpeg

621C3B0F-24A8-4C8D-9E92-38C2A1A66E1F.jpeg

3DED0751-FBD8-4F7D-96CC-58E141FBDD0A.jpeg

7CA29709-8900-4CFC-AB70-7B37F0EB9C15.jpeg

Might be usefull, might not be but anyway be heres the rifle pics
District9gunbuttwriting.jpgDistrict9guncartCUpo'po'.jpgDistrict9gunhandleMSiiiiii.jpgDistrict9gunLS.jpgDistrict9gunmuzzleCUp'pp.jpgDistrict9gunmuzzlewriting.jpgDistrict9gunsiteCUi;oliuo;.jpgDistrict9002.jpgDistrict9003.jpgDistrict9050.jpgDistrict9049.jpgDistrict9047.jpgDistrict9046.jpgDistrict9043.jpgDistrict9023.jpgDistrict9020.jpgDistrict9017.jpgDistrict9053.jpg

Im curious if the weta replica is the same but not owning one myself im not sure, youd think it would be though

Perhaps you have already seen this, if not then maybe this will help with finishing your build.

Bill Doran of Punished Props made a video series of his District 9 Assault Rifle Build in 2015. In the following part 4 video (after the 3:40 time mark) he talks about using stencils with his vinyl cutter for the alien markings.

Mike J. shared some of the alien glyphs here in another build thread back in 2014.

I am glad another member is taking a crack at this. We rarely see any custom District 9 build these days. Looking forward to its final form.

Prop: Shop - Tested's District 9 Rifle Build: Part 1 Designing & Fabrication - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGjfXovQhL0

Prop: Shop - Tested's District 9 Rifle Build: Part 2 - Lathing and Molding - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN_umqdguS4

Prop: Shop - Tested's District 9 Rifle Build: Part 3 - Matrix Mold - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjwvak9XjcU

Prop: Shop - Tested's District 9 Rifle Build: Part 4 - Casting & Painting - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIl15IjrLQk

Tested then did a final video covering the whole build.

Making a District 9 Alien Assault Rifle Prop Replica - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY6k6foXEN8

Bill from punished props is the maker I mentioned earlier that I've contacted. Still waiting to hear back from him. And Ziga's rifle build was one I followed closely at the time and made numerous comments along the way. He also had trouble with the markings and ended up doing a lot by hand. His builds are awesome. In fact I own his Angel of Verdun Sword from Edge of Tomorrow. Amazing prop and one of my favs!

Thanks for posting. Obviously great minds do think alike. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Sewbacca and Tuckanator you guys are awesome!

2 parts that were missing in the 3D kit was the "rail attachment" that the scopes are mounted to. And also the black detail on the back of the handle. I felt both of these were important to have. With what I have on hand, wood was definitely my best option...

S96upkV.jpg

7W8PGXQ.jpg

XOk8TgV.jpg

OBw1qyF.jpg

w497oPn.jpg

o3uZtnY.jpg

I decided it would be cool for the rail attachment to sit over the rail, rather than just on top.

NkY2c8a.jpg

Off to the workshop to use the table saw...

pyhmFm4.jpg

gJFiL89.jpg

Taken outside the workshop so you can see how cold it is here! Brrrr.

Fits well...

zIh9kEl.jpg

L9zqLcU.jpg

nG6rjCX.jpg

X90AyGz.jpg

Next up will be the greeblies either side above the trigger. I'm not going to go with 100% accuracy, but rather do my own thing. Found a box of electronic bits in the basement.

YMzQxlD.jpg

That'll work!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back