Fantastic Beasts 2 - Dumbledore’s Wand?

And so the plot thickens...

Here’s part of a new poster released for The Crimes of Grindelwald, featuring Newt and Dumbledore standing back to back.
0137b9399a5c7d058aafd32e22633bee.jpg

The wand that Dumbledore is holding looks very different to the one we saw in the first teaser poster alongside the Elder Wand (as well as the second “cast” poster.)

So I guess the question of the day is, why?! Does Dumbledore have two wands?

Last edited:
Or they read about the confusion of people about Dumbledore's wand being so close to the Hallows wand and did something about it.

On Pottermore, (see photos) there is recent posting of the explaination of the wands in the logo in Crimes of Grindewald, so I don't think there are any errors on the moviemakers part.
YoungGrindel.jpg Dumbledorewand.jpg

Not sure but the trailer has Dumbledore with the wand at Hogwarts (I believe) at some point. The issues all lie in the timing but my theory is the boring one. It was his before he acquired the elder wand and was simply a better dueler then Grindewald. (Just like Dumbledore couldn't simple beat Voldemort because he had a more powerful wand). I do prefer this wand from the Elder and I like the simple black coloring.
DUmbledore wand 1.JPG

I also noticed the similarity between the two wands and that the wand shown in the new poster looks different to the first images we saw of Dumbledore’s wand before he possessed the elder wand. I read that JK Rowling said that the elder wand is sentient and will yield to a wizard it thinks is worthy. It’s also possible that Dumbledore had more than one wand. I think Alistor Moody had more than one.

Here's my Fantastic Beasts - Dumbledore Wand -
attachment.jpg

I made a mould of a cabinet knob and and made a 2 color epoxy casting as the pommel, a piece brass tubing from an antique lamp for the band, and added a tiny switch for the LED.
attachment.jpg

The LED probably sticks out a little too far, but I wanted to be able to see the blue light from the side.
attachment.jpg

ATL

Attachments

• 1 Both.jpg
    1 Both.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 859
  • 2 Pommel, brass band and switch.jpg
    2 Pommel, brass band and switch.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 596
  • 3 Blue LED.jpg
    3 Blue LED.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 508
This was just posted on Pottermore’s official Instagram account:
c2583feee93c7b3019f899f97ab47426.jpg

According to Pierre Bohanna, “When designing Dumbledore’s wand for the Harry Potter films, we didn’t know it was going to be revealed as the Elder Wand. This is the one we had before - it’s a very practical design.”

It’s definitely a cool-looking wand and certainly one I want to replicate at some point in the future. But does this mean Dumbledore will have two different wands in Fantastic Beasts 2 (pre-Elder Wand)? To me, this looks like the wand we saw on Dumbledore’s desk in the trailer, and not at all like the one seen on the first teaser poster.

Another idea I had was that some point after the first poster was released, they changed the design because of how much it seemed to resemble the Elder Wand (in all of the new character posters, social media posts and promotional material, the first design is now nowhere to be seen.)

Thoughts?

Last edited:
IMG_4997.PNGIMG_4994.JPGIMG_4993.JPGIMG_4991.PNG
Here are some more pictures from the Pottermore Twitter account and from the Leaky Cauldron Instagram story. I'm going to work on carving it out of wood myself, I just wish we had a little bit more reference material, but this is the most we've seen since the poster. In the comic-con trailer we see Jude Law actually has this wand tucked under his right arm in the Boggart lesson with young Newt. In the screenshot of the first moment of the video on twitter, you can see there is an inscription on the end of the wand that looks like an H in this picture, but I haven't seen anything from the screencaps I took of the trailer. Let me know if you have ideas on how to incorporate the metal around the ends of the handle

It looks like there may be something engraved on the top metal part aswell? Thinking it may be his initials, as this kinda looks like a D?

letter-maybe.jpg

The new trailer may give some better indications. Id guess the wand goes through the middle of the handle somehow? It looks like it may wrap around it a little at the top aswell. Kinda reminds me of his deluminator.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back