Justice League (Post-release)

I am confused though about Superman actually being dead. Why did the dirt lift off the casket in the BvS if he was dead? Also, why did Clark want to kill Batman? I mean... after the Martha thing, they seemed like they were okay. And correct me if I'm wrong, but did Clark blame his death on Bruce? That's kinda messed up because he chose to further impale himself to save the world. Take away everything that Batman did in BvS, Lex still would have created Doomsday.

But overall, I enjoyed it. It's not a perfect film but it's far from a train wreck.
Don’t know about the dirt, probably just a visual for Snyder to foreshadow his return, but not much afterthought. But when he got back, he was confused, and slowly remembering who he is and what happened. Until Lois showed up, and probably was remembering Batman trying to murder him, and not the really the later team up ! Seems like Batman deed traumatize him a bit, maybe more than Doomsday... And I don’t think he blames Bruce, although Bruce blames himself. Loved this whole sequence by the way, Superman’s power was off the chart, and loved his dialogue to Bruce “you won’t let me live, and you won’t let me die !”

Any way, I said what I wanted to say in the non spoiler thread, but essentially it was very enjoyable, and I really want a director’s cut, giving is back what was cut to make it 2 hours. A little bit more breathing room might be beneficial.

to answer about the scene with Alfred talking, wasn’t in the movie but I’m fairly certain it was to Superman, after he went on to Kensas, he probably went to the bat cave to help Bruce, found Alfred “he said you would come”, and Alfred directed them to Russia where the team was fighting.

I think my overall impression after first viewing is: it is not exactly what I wanted from the last film in this trilogy, especially in regards to a certain someone. Which is ridiculous as I'm the first to tell people not to have preconceptions - and I did manage to clear my head going in, and I'm fine with it now too. And yet - utterly delightful in most regards and I love what it is overall. I'm looking forward to multiple viewings, it was entertaining throughout with some awesome moments, and I was grinning like a loon at many parts. There's a ton I have to process before I settle on how I feel about it. I hope it follows the tradition of the rest of the DCEU for me and I go from enjoying it immediately to simply gets better with each viewing as more unpacks (with the exception of Suicide Squad that got a little better with 2nd viewing, but each since has remained static). I love the characters and the big beating heart in the film, and whilst I won't deny some of the CGI was uneven, most of it was utterly phenomenal and breathtaking. The villain is absolutely fine but basic, and I think what was needed to concentrate on the team.

I'll always yearn for the full Snyder vision uninhibited by anything, but it is what it is now, and I feel incredibly sad for him that he has had to endure his daughter's suicide, and then not be able to finish what was clearly a string of projects that must mean the world to him and his crew.

Main downsides for me - 2 hour runtime. I completely followed it, it was fast and lean, but I just want more time in this world. And to be honest, Danny Elfman. This is not his strongest work by a lot and I'll forever feel a bit sore about a) Hans not wishing to finish the trilogy and b) replacing Junkie XL, who was established with the previous work.

It sounds utterly cliche but if they can build on this as they expand it will make for some wonderful films in the future.

Well, I went and saw it today in IMAX.

Much like BvS, I went in with low expectations, and much like BvS, I was pleasantly surprised at how good it actually was.
I'm not saying that it was a fantastic movie, because it wasn't. It had its flaws, like most movies, but I felt that things came together better than they did in BvS, and it was overall a solid film that was worth the price of admission.

Seeing Superman being in a non-depressed state of mind was nice. By the end of the film, I could see Cavill's performance leaning towards more of the genuine nice guy we all know Superman to be instead of the depressed guy with powers who was stuck in a rut.

Still not sold on The Flash, but that might be more due to Grant Gustin's outstanding performance in the show.

Batman and Wonder Woman were rock solid, with Bruce showing more of a traditional Batman persona than the murderbot we had in BvS.

Cyborg was a solid character with room to grow, same with Aquaman.

One of the things I felt that truly stood out in the film was the score. Danny Elfman and Junkie XL did the film's music, and I was very happy to hear strains of the 1989 Batman film when Batman was in action on screen.

Don’t know about the dirt, probably just a visual for Snyder to foreshadow his return, but not much afterthought. But when he got back, he was confused, and slowly remembering who he is and what happened. Until Lois showed up, and probably was remembering Batman trying to murder him, and not the really the later team up ! Seems like Batman deed traumatize him a bit, maybe more than Doomsday... And I don’t think he blames Bruce, although Bruce blames himself. Loved this whole sequence by the way, Superman’s power was off the chart, and loved his dialogue to Bruce “you won’t let me live, and you won’t let me die !”

Any way, I said what I wanted to say in the non spoiler thread, but essentially it was very enjoyable, and I really want a director’s cut, giving is back what was cut to make it 2 hours. A little bit more breathing room might be beneficial.

to answer about the scene with Alfred talking, wasn’t in the movie but I’m fairly certain it was to Superman, after he went on to Kensas, he probably went to the bat cave to help Bruce, found Alfred “he said you would come”, and Alfred directed them to Russia where the team was fighting.

I'm already starting to build up my defenses on the film. Haha.

Currently after one viewing, I'm happy to accept that for that scene, we saw Kal El unleashed. We saw someone who was confused, angry and lashing out at what he thought were threats. Going to show just how much he holds back usually (a variation on the cardboard speech without the speech)

I still have to process so much of this! But I must admit, I absolutely loved it when his eyes started turning towards the Flash.

I also believe that a young, impetuous Flash who trips on stuff occasionally will eventually be so far beyond Superman's speed it will be laughable. At this stage, I think it worked, just about, although it would have been good to see Flash having that edge of speed.

Cyborg was a solid character with room to grow, same with Aquaman.

One of the things I felt that truly stood out in the film was the score. Danny Elfman and Junkie XL did the film's music, and I was very happy to hear strains of the 1989 Batman film when Batman was in action on screen.

Cyborg stood out a lot to me, really enjoyed his introduction.

And I'm fairly certain Junkie XL is only responsible for the previously done stuff like the Credits music - I dont think they used/he got chance to put anything together for the score?

- - - Updated - - -

My overall thoughts are: It's fine.
I'd middle of the pack for MCU movies. Characterizations were GREAT! No understatement there. One thing I was worried about was the characters actually talking to each other but that was great. I also LOVED the Amazon part.

However, didn't care for that family in Russia, the whole unity thing was dumb. Separating the boxes was dumb and I didn't like how they resurrected Superman. It's like if any character dies now we can revive them like that.

Surely a step in the right direction and definately the end of the Snyder era. Can't wait to see what Johns and Wan do with Aquaman!

They specifically mention that Kryptonian cells don't degrade - hence why Clark's body is pretty much perfect condition when they dig it up. So I don't think just anyone can be brought back. Especially if you dont have massive power available and a Motherbox/birthing chamber. :thumbsup

Cyborg stood out a lot to me, really enjoyed his introduction.

And I'm fairly certain Junkie XL is only responsible for the previously done stuff like the Credits music - I dont think they used/he got chance to put anything together for the score?

- - - Updated - - -

They specifically mention that Kryptonian cells don't degrade - hence why Clark's body is pretty much perfect condition when they dig it up. So I don't think just anyone can be brought back. Especially if you dont have massive power available and a Motherbox/birthing chamber. :thumbsup

Well... They have the motherboxes. They have the Flash and the ship is still there.

I saw it last night and my first thought was "what in the world is Rotten Tomatoes talking about"? It was a very fun movie. Did it have problems? Sure. But everyone was spot on, the music was great, Superman was finally hopeful. I had a great time! I honestly do not understand all the negative reviews about the movie. I hope they make a sequel and that Affleck stays on as Batman.

I thought it was good. Not sure what the fuss is... Good and bad. To me, this was a decent super hero movie. Not life changingly good, but worth the price I paid for the ticket. I think most here will like it if they see it. I'm glad I saw it. It was good enough that I might even give BvS a try, since I never saw that one.

Just got back from seeing JL in 3D on the big XPlus screen. Like many others here I can't understand the generally poor reception... I thought it was a terrific film, with great action sequences, really nice dynamics between all the cast and real heart - perhaps something lacking to an extent in the two previous films in the trilogy (though I thought they were actually better than given credit for). It was nice to have the peril and conflict leavened with humour and cameraderie.

I've always liked Afleck's Bruce Wayne/Batman, and he's really good here, with a very nice line in deprecatory self-awareness lightening the necessary grimness. And his growing relationship with Gal Gadot's Diana Prince/Wonder Woman is a very nicely portrayed adult, platonic friendship. WW herself, of course, is the shining heart of the film, blazing out of the screen in every scene she's in. I thought Henry Cavill was the best he's ever been as Superman here. Jason Momoa, Ezra Miller and Ray Fisher were all great and made me really look forward to their respective solo outings indeed, I could have done with seeing more of Atlantis in particular in this film). Nice to see the wonderful Any Adams and Diane Lane get some lovely emotional scenes too. And J K Simmons is a splendid Jim Gordon.

All in all a really enjoyable film. I've never understood the whole Marvel vs DC side-taking. I grew up reading comics from both universes and I like both cinematic universes. While not quite on a par with Wonder Woman, Justice League is a perfectly decent and thoroughly entertaining film and I can't help feeling that with some of the more extreme nay-sayers there's almost a desire for films like this to fail. Which is such a shame if that means that we don't get further instalments ((particularly in the light of who's introduced in the final post-credits scene!)

(Oh! And how cool was it to see the Lantern Corps in action... even if only in flashback!) :)

Last edited:
I thought it was good. Not sure what the fuss is... Good and bad. To me, this was a decent super hero movie. Not life changingly good, but worth the price I paid for the ticket. I think most here will like it if they see it. I'm glad I saw it. It was good enough that I might even give BvS a try, since I never saw that one.

If you're gonna watch BvS, watch the extended cut. It's the theatrical cut that had so much problems

Saw it last night and I thought it was a good movie, had a good time. Thoughts after, so cops were standing around when they revived Superman and people were calling him Clark, oops. Then how are they going to explain Clark Kent is now alive after they buried him?

Also, was I the only one that missed how Flash got injured and then nothing after?

Saw it last night and I thought it was a good movie, had a good time. Thoughts after, so cops were standing around when they revived Superman and people were calling him Clark, oops. Then how are they going to explain Clark Kent is now alive after they buried him?

Also, was I the only one that missed how Flash got injured and then nothing after?

I noticed, but it's easy to assume he heals quickly - fast metabolism and all that as stated during pizza time. They probably addressed it before they started chopping for the two hours, can imagine a little bit of dialogue like that making the floor.

Honestly, even I can't come up with a good enough reason (yet) for Clark being alive and seen by other people. It can be explained away in a movie down the line of course and I think it will be. Second viewing might show something.

I know why Henry mentioned Rebirth in an interview now though...perhaps he is alluding to the "old Supes" taking the "new Supes" place and things/documents being falsified and such.

I noticed, but it's easy to assume he heals quickly - fast metabolism and all that as stated during pizza time. They probably addressed it before they started chopping for the two hours, can imagine a little bit of dialogue like that making the floor.

Honestly, even I can't come up with a good enough reason (yet) for Clark being alive and seen by other people. It can be explained away in a movie down the line of course and I think it will be. Second viewing might show something.

I know why Henry mentioned Rebirth in an interview now though...perhaps he is alluding to the "old Supes" taking the "new Supes" place and things/documents being falsified and such.

This movie did require a lot of suspension of disbelief in injuries. People recovered faster than in old westerns. Batman was actually worst for this. A couple times he suffered what should have been paralyzing injuries, then acted a bit sore for one scene, had a glass of whiskey, then bank in the saddle.

I decided to just let go of disbelief for this one. I knew I wasn't going to get anything super well thought out. Silly can be fun if you accept the silly.

This movie did require a lot of suspension of disbelief in injuries. People recovered faster than in old westerns. Batman was actually worst for this. A couple times he suffered what should have been paralyzing injuries, then acted a bit sore for one scene, had a glass of whiskey, then bank in the saddle.

I decided to just let go of disbelief for this one. I knew I wasn't going to get anything super well thought out. Silly can be fun if you accept the silly.

And Bale strapping a leg brace on and suddenly able to break bricks or getting his back broken and then able to jump and climb walls isn’t silly?

Reel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And Bale strapping a leg brace on and suddenly able to break bricks or getting his back broken and then able to jump and climb walls isn’t silly? 浪浪

Reel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah - if you apply genuine thought to a lot of the stuff we love it can fall apart quickly, which sucks. It can also stand up well by seeing things we haven't before as long as we are open minded. I enjoy discovering whether things do or not. I'm unsure on this one because I've only seen the film once.

I don't agree with the sort of standard response for films such as these along the lines of "it's about a talking tree, like just go along with it" really. All decent films should follow a fairly well done verisimilitude, I think. Despite what many think of their content, MoS, BvS and WW are great examples of this. Not sure if JL is yet, and thats part of my issues with it so far.

Some of the best in the MCU and X-Men films establish excellent in universe consistency (this doesn't necessarily mean accuracy) too, such as First Class, Winter Soldier etc.

I'm just going to repost my "review," edited for the more forgiving atmosphere here, from the pre-release thread.

Eff the critics, I had a damn good time watching this movie.

A big complaint with this movie is the villain and sure he's pretty generic, but no more generic than [insert Marval villain here]. And the way they defeat him was pretty dumb really.

But I go to these big team-up movies for the team, not the enemy they face, and in that aspect the film delivers. The characters were all pretty much given their due, even if I did want a little bit more of each.

Thankfully, the color palette was given a ton more vibrancy this time around (probably due to Whedon tbh). The only downside of that was Affleck, who in his scenes as Bruce Wayne looked way too made-up. I'm not sure why it was only him and not everybody else that looked that way.

Also: yay! Super breath is back!

All in all a pretty solid film. Does it compare to Marvel movies? No, but why should it? This is a different universe with very different characters, it doesn't need to be a Marvel clone. It's got its own tone (which has been lightened significantly) that I and very many others appreciate. Let Marvel be Marvel and let DC be DC. If you don't like what DC is offering, stick to the animated stuff or Marvel movies.

Last edited:
The movie is ok but its less than what it should be.

WB has butchered it totally by deleting key scenes which would enhance the movie. There are many scenes filmed and deleted because WB mandated a under 2 hour cut, which is ridiculous.

This is what a Vfx artist says about it who worked on the movie.
https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/7dhu3f/official_discussion_justice_league_spoilers/dq05bf7/

"No, vfx houses don't see or have anything to do with cutting the films together. We deliver shots, and find out if they're being included or not. A lot of lovely work was omitted, unfortunately, in favour of what we had to rush from the reshoots. Having seen the film now I'm massively disappointed that 95% of Superman's scenes are from the reshoots."

Even in the trailers, deleted scenes where Alfred supposedly meets Superman are missing from the final cut.
Looks like WB totally massacred this movie to try please people, instead of sticking to the vision of the director.

Apparently, Snyders original cut is 3 hours but WB didn't like it so got Whedon to rewrite some additional scenes.
Snyder's family tragedy meant he had to abandon it completely and so Whedon directed these scenes.

You only have to look at the reshot scenes, Afflecks wig is terrible compared to the original Snyder footage shot and many of the trailer scenes are missing in the final release.

The color grading is also way too bright IMO.

You can tell which scenes are Snyder and which are Whedon quite easily.

1AtlF5j.jpg

Oh yeah, for anyone interested, here are leaked deleted scenes, including a Barry Allen and Iris scene which has unfinished CGI. God knows how they leaked this.

https://vimeo.com/album/4863137

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back