Justice League (Post-release)

Steppenwolf does mention Darkseid, but just once.
Watched it for the second today...still didn't hear that. Also, someone needs to point out to me the upper lip thing because I only noticed it in two scenes and not nearly enough to pull me out of the movie. And I was looking for it!

Watched it for the second today...still didn't hear that. Also, someone needs to point out to me the upper lip thing because I only noticed it in two scenes and not nearly enough to pull me out of the movie. And I was looking for it!

I've seen JL 5 times (yep liked it that much)... and Steppenwolf mentions Darkseid once.

Haha... I didn't notice it either. Maybe on a bluray or 4k when you can pause it and really stare hard?

I've seen JL 5 times (yep liked it that much)... and Steppenwolf mentions Darkseid once.

I didn't notice, but if he did, he did. It wasn't much of a connection either way. I feel like he should have been acting as the harbinger for the next phase of an invasion from Darkseid. Maybe I'm thinking too much into this.

I also didn't see the Lex end credit scene... by the look of it, though, I didn't miss much.

WB destroyed this movie themselves. They should have left the deleted scenes in, in particular scenes which explain the Flash and Cyborg's origins.
They should have released what was originally intended instead of trying to please people who are never happy even if you give them what they want. They always make some excuse to hate on the film, so should have went with Snyders original movie.

On top of that, Joss Whedon (I think) or whovever was reshooting failed to check Continuity of basic things like the actors wigs and clothing. His lack of visual flair and almost generic style TV filming was jarring in contrast to the cinematic scenes from Snyder. Also, the not so subtle forced humor was at times embarrasing. I felt sorry for Affleck at points, some of the script written by Joss Whedon was insulting, it didn't belong in this universe,especially after viewing the previous two Snyder movies.

Another messy aspect is the music. I thought the Elfman music was completely innapropriate and at times bordering on embarrasing, and the previous Zimmer and Junkie XL scores were more suited to these characters. Elfman has a big ego and couldn't handle that other composers have come up with themes that are more suitable for this particular incarnation than his 80s themes.

Another thing that pisses me off is the blame being banded about on Snyder. You have to remember, he was originally only a director for hire on Man of Steel, that movie was Nolan and Goyer and all Snyder did was direct. WB had a mandate of continuing the real world style realism of Nolan's Batman trilogy.

The fact they then pin the blame of Snyder who delivered exactly what they wanted on Batman v Superman, then was continuing on Justice League smacks of a disgraceful studio inteference. If they wanted a jovial Marvel type universe then they should have done it from the start, not mess around and hound the director for building a vision.

From what many have said, the finished Justice League cut by Snyder was no where near as dark as Batman v Superman, it just didn't have the cheap jokes that Whedon likes to have in his movies. It seems like WB lost their balls and allowed mythical internet critics to dictate what should be put out as a final product.

Big shame really.

What's the point of a franchise if you don't create some connective tissue. Seems like this was written with no long game in mind like the Marvel films.

Well, that's the biggest problem. WB/DC have taken exactly the wrong conclusion from the various criticisms they've received, and have announced that there pretty much is no "DCCU". The films that come out after this will be their own things. Some things will connect, but there will be no effort made to make sure there's continuity between them. Not to mention the ones that are specifically and deliberately outside even that loose universishness (like th enew standalone Joker film). It wasn't even until after the very mixed reception BvS got that WB finally even started listening to the input from DC and the guy overseeing all the cross-platform stuff, like the TV series and animated stuff, as well as the Rebirth event in the comics. His focus is more on creator-controlled content, and he feels universe-building interferes with letting the writers "do their own thang".

Yeah, that resulted in a very hands-off approach to Wonder Woman, which had minimal tie-in to the existing DCCU thus far. Justice League was too far along, and too reliant on the newly-established Batman and Superman we'd been seeing since 2013, but going forward? Well, these are now the same guys who brought Joss in to chance the tone of Justice League. This was even before Zach's daughter died. There's... so much dissention at higher levels. Time Warner is mad Warner Brothers keeps bringing Snyder back after the general reception of his DC movies hasn't been what they hoped for, and the director of DC Entertainment feels Snyder's filmmaking tone is wrong for the DC heroes. So it doesn't surprise me that a lack of consistent vision at the top has led to lack of coherent presentation of the end product. Affleck will still most likely be back as Batman in the standalone Flash movie, but he will probably not be back in the next Batman movie (director Matt Reeves wants to cast "fresh talent").

They've got Aquaman and Flash and Wonder Woman 2 and Shazam lined up to come out, along with Batman and the Joker. A Suicide Squad sequel is still in limbo. But Justice League 2 is off the table, and there're a whole lot of questions as to when and how Superman will show up next. But a continuation building on where things were left at the end of Justice League? Don't bet on it.

--Jonah

I don't think they said the movies would be completely separate from each other, just that they won't be for example putting a c-plot in aquaman that will pay off in Justice League 2. They will be self-contained stories but they'll still count towards the whole.

They've said they're putting creator control of the story over making sure the plot points line up. They are likely to get more divergent as time passes, not less. Just like the original heroes' comic universes.

Seems the most relevant place to put this... Henry Cavill just posted it yesterday:

[video]https://www.facebook.com/henrycavill/videos/1760801373940711/[/video]

Caught this on HBO last night. It was just about what I expected. I like Cavill as Superman and Wonder Woman is great, but nothing else in these movies is working for me.

Eh, I rewatched it yesterday, I still think there is a metric ton of wasted potential, but overal it's ok. No great, not bad, just ok. But I can't help but feel that Whedon brought some goofiness that really is out of place though, the russian family is completely unnecessary for one, and the whole Batman/thief section, while the idea is great, the execution is way to goofy.
Plus Steppenwolf is a weak vilain for sure. Zod was the only one of the whole DC slate that was fleshed out, that's a shame he's dead.
But next to that, some sets are spectacular, like the Gotham PD roof, with Comish Gordon. Glimpses of the great, comic accurate movie it could have been.

And with the complete uncertained future of the DCEU, we don't even know if there will be a second one... Or any kind of continuation... Such a shame.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back