Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 20, 2017, 2:54 PM - Re: Justice League (Post-release) #51

Good action, good humor, typical villain, typical plot. It was what it needed to be for a team-building movie. (Avengers was better, admittedly.)

Flash realizing that Supes could see him during the fight was perfect.
    From
    Wendell, NC
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 20, 2017, 3:39 PM - Re: Justice League (Post-release) #52

I wonder if so many people went in with such low expectations and came out surprised because it was serviceable?
    From
    Somewhere on the Salish Sea
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 20, 2017, 5:31 PM - Re: Justice League (Post-release) #53

I'm still torn as to whether I want to plunk down the $$$ to see it in theaters or just wait and pick it up on home-video, since nothing going forward will be built on this film because DC/WB are idiots with their world-building. I don't want ot like this film more than their other offerings so far only to not have it go anywhere as they carry the characters forward in their own isolated pocket universes.

--Jonah
  4. Member Since
    Aug 2014
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 21, 2017, 4:35 AM - Re: Justice League (Post-release) #54

Matinees here only 4 bucks I don't know about your area
  5. RPF Premium Member
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 21, 2017, 6:59 AM - Re: Justice League (Post-release) #55

Guess I'm in the minority here, but I didn't like it. The uncanny valley effect going on with Cavill's face made so many of Supes' scenes just too creepy. My wife, who had never read any of the articles about the mustache CGI noticed it immediately, and asked why Supes' face looked so wierd. I mean, they build up for years to this movie and we end up with bad CGI on the main character's face in almost every scene he's in? Unforgivable.

The villian was less than one-dimensional, and the CGI for him was just bad. The overall CGI quality trailed far behind the original Transformers, and doesn't even approach films like Pacific Rim.

The contrived way they brought Supes back was just one problem I had with the story. I could go on and on, but that's all I have the heart for at the moment.
    Last edited by Spyhunter2k; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:59 AM.
  6. Key Master RPF Premium Member Nexus6's Avatar
    From
    Off-world colonies (or as I like to call it: Florida)
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 21, 2017, 10:28 AM - Re: Justice League (Post-release) #56

I don't know how it could have been much better (minor nitpicks aside). I was thoroughly entertained! Some off-the-cuff thoughts:

Affleck is the greatest version of the Bat ever to appear on-screen, I hope they can keep him. I'm also really digging the digital voice-manipulation tech, as opposed to the Bale-growl thing.

I totally dig the updated [barbarian] Arthur Curry/Aqua-man character. I always found him super-lame in the comics. Would've liked to have seen more of the Amber Heard/Mera character, but I'm assuming that's forthcoming.

Barry Allen/Flash was the standout of the film for me. I loved how he was written (sort of neurotic, maybe?), & the SFX of him tapping into the speed-force was perfect. I liked how they included the notion that he has to eat constantly. Also dug the explanation of how he'd cobbled his suit together from various "pilfered" materials.

Gal Gadot was awesome, & they really upped her game to show that she can truly go toe-to-toe with Superman if needed. AND she is ASTONISHINGLY beautiful. #captainobvious

Cavill did great (but I've liked every time he's played the character so far). The only place I found the CGI 'stache removal "distracting", was in the cellphone vid at the beginning.

Cyborg CGI was done better than I'd hoped, Fisher did a great job playing the tormented persona. Nice job.

-------------------------------------------
    Favorite moments (for me):

The beginning sequence where Batman uses the burglar as bait, is QUINTESSENTIAL Dark Knight. PERFECT.

When Wonder Woman is trying to reach out to the newly-resurrected Superman, & she calls him "Kal-El, the last son of Krypton", I got head-to-toe chills. CHILLS, I says.

When Batman calls for the big guns, & it's Lois.

The scenes where Clark is reunited with Lois, & then Martha. Very touching, right in the feels.

The Bruce/Diana "You can't do this forever" scene.

Loved the scene where Superman sees Flash trying to flank him, & Barry's reaction is like "WTdoubleF???"

The ancient battle was awesome, & the presence of the Green Lantern Corp was RIGHTEOUS. If they can get Nathan Fillion to play Hal Jordan in one of these films, I swear to frak, I will officially fan-boi supernova. \m/ \m/

The Barry/Victor fist-bump shtick.

"Pet Sematary Superman"
    -------------------------------------------

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I can recall at the moment. Again, very pleased, will see again, & purchase the BD when released.
    From
    Orlando, FL
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 21, 2017, 12:55 PM - Re: Justice League (Post-release) #57

Everything felt really disjointed tonally and narratively, but at least is wasn't as drab as the other movies and I wasn't actively wishing I wasn't watching it.

The preamble to the team up felt like the individual "character trailers" that video games do, and overall the whole movie felt like a really great video game cinematic. I could very easily imagine breaks in the story where fighting gameplay like Injustice would be injected.

Seems like they don't know what to do with Batman, and they shoot his action very lazily, he always looks like he's lumbering around and barely getting by, especially in contrast to the hyperkinetic nature of Barry and Diana's fighting styles. Also playing him for laughs more times than not.

Overall I just found myself not caring where the story went, and I honestly think this crop of DC movies is going to continually feel derivative of things that came before, be they MCU, Fox's Marvel movies, or even DC's own movies outside the DCEU.
    From
    Walnut, CA
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 21, 2017, 2:37 PM - Re: Justice League (Post-release) #58

harrisonp said: View Post
    The preamble to the team up felt like the individual "character trailers" that video games do, and overall the whole movie felt like a really great video game cinematic. I could very easily imagine breaks in the story where fighting gameplay like Injustice would be injected.
    There's a reason for that and it's actually mentioned in the movie and that's Batman is starting to get old and beginning to slow down. You have to remember in the DCEU Batman is a veteran and seasoned super hero and even though we never saw an origin story movie showing a young Batman he has been at this for the past 10 - 20 years and is, presumably, around the same age as Ben Affleck is which is in his mid 40s. In most sports you're considered old and beginning to go over the hills in your 30s, in your 40s you're an old man and Bruce/Batman is doing the equivalent of what top athletes do but every day, while maintaining a day job, he has no off season, he doesn't have buy days. So imagine doing that for 10 - 20 years, it's a miracle he can keep up with the rest of the League, esp. since he's the only member of the team with no super powers.-
    Last edited by Riceball; 2 Weeks Ago at 1:18 PM.
    From
    Hull
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 25, 2017, 2:51 PM - Re: Justice League (Post-release) #59

Its not that bad.

Sent from my BLU LIFE MARK using Tapatalk
  10. RPF Premium Member CessnaDriver's Avatar
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 25, 2017, 4:25 PM - Re: Justice League (Post-release) #60

‘Justice League’ Box Office Bomb: Warner Bros. Could Lose Up to $100 Million on Superhero Tentpole

The superhero tentpole is definitely not what the DC Extended Universe needed after "Wonder Woman."

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/11/jus...on-1201900710/
    From
    Long Beach, CA, US
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 25, 2017, 5:25 PM - Re: Justice League (Post-release) #61

We know Aquaman is still scheduled, but they really should just scrap this whole universe. Stick to making good, individual superhero movies. Stick with Jenkins and Gadot in Wonder Woman, maybe Momoa as Aquaman if it does well. Give Cavill another shot at a standalone Superman movie based on how he was portrayed in this film. And if Affleck doesnt want to do any more Bat flicks, then let him leave. Start over again with someone younger. Its not like they've never done that before. Or maybe get really crazy in Flashpoint and use that as a way to bring back and tie together as many past Batmans as possible. Bring back Keaton, Clooney, Bale. Whoever will suit up and play. Then start over with a new one.
  12. Member Since
    Nov 2017
    From
    Seattle
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 25, 2017, 5:50 PM - Re: Justice League (Post-release) #62

I feel both justice league war and justice league action, among other justice league movies have covered this movie way more than this two hour film could, idk it's my opinion that this movie just feels a little rushed is all, I have my own opinion on what characters they chose for this movie,but hey who's to judge the wise works of producers who thinks its a good idea to include a teen titan in a justice league movie, that's just my personal opinion to be honest, i'm going to probably wait and buy the movie for it's digital copy then sell it at another store. i've been told that the directors wanted the new version of the justice league, from the comics but oh well.
    From
    Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 25, 2017, 10:27 PM - Re: Justice League (Post-release) #63

Haven't seen it yet.
    Not worried about spoilers. Any hint at other heroes for the next JL movie? Green Lantern or Martian Manhunter?

Listening to the score. Agreed with one post that it's not Elfman's best. The classic Superman and Batman themes seem forced in at this point.
  14. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    From
    CNY
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 25, 2017, 10:51 PM - Re: Justice League (Post-release) #64

Father said: View Post
    Haven't seen it yet.
    Not worried about spoilers. Any hint at other heroes for the next JL movie? Green Lantern or Martian Manhunter?

Listening to the score. Agreed with one post that it's not Elfman's best. The classic Superman and Batman themes seem forced in at this point.
    Martian Manhunter, no. Green lantern...sort of. Green lanterns are seen in a flashback battle scene; one of them is killed and the ring flies off. That's about it though.
    From
    Irvine California
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 25, 2017, 11:41 PM - Re: Justice League (Post-release) #65

Some of the blandest dialogue Ive ever heard.This was a big giant meh for me....
    From
    Chicago, Il
    1 Week Ago  Nov 30, 2017, 10:28 PM - Re: Justice League (Post-release) #66

Took my 16 yo son and 22 yo daughter. There are not many movies that we can watch together. So...it didn't suck. As reviewed, it was better that BvS.
    I would watch WW read the phone book.
  17. Coldhands RPF Premium Member Sundowner's Avatar
    From
    Midwest
    1 Week Ago  Nov 30, 2017, 11:55 PM - Re: Justice League (Post-release) #67

I just saw it and I felt it was “meh”. It was better than BVS but not much. I was dozing off during a few fight scenes. Superman’s de-mustached face was really bad with CGI. But it was cool seeing a Green Lantern and seeing Deathstroke. I’m a huge fan of the DC tv shows but not DC movies as it turns out.
  18. RPF Premium Member
    1 Week Ago  Dec 1, 2017, 6:36 AM - Re: Justice League (Post-release) #68

As with many films, I needed a few viewings to solidify some feelings on it. I have a multipass thing for Cineworld so have seen this three times now.

Good:

Characters
    Action is solid
    SOME gradiose/feels epic type stuff.
    The history feels ingrained into the world
    Feel good film
    Most of the humour lands
    Does not get boring - 3 times in fairly quick succession and I was never feeling like I could/wanted to skip ahead

The world building is great and I love the distinct places theyve created now. I love how Heroes Park is central to the trilogy. Themyscira is gorgeous. Gotham's backdrop is sublime.
    Some of the visuals are just utterly beautiful - my favourite of which is the League shot overlooking the regrown fauna after the victory. Out friggin standing and I NEED it on my wall.

The setting up of the Hall of Justice being the old Wayne Manor - thematically awesome.

Cyborg reconnecting with his father and gaining an even closer comics representation physically, even with a C on the chest and the smooth plates. Brilliant. Love his whole design and evolution.

Flash getting his foot in the door at CCPD. Great step to start his journey solo. And that he wasnt an almighty powerhouse here is great - young, learning. Leaves lots of space for development and future adventures.

Not so good:

That runtime. It feels like it's over so quickly. And the result is densely packed "themes" that are nowhere near explored enough. And you can tell that theres stuff right there ready to unpack.

The music. The soundtracks are one of the best things about the DCEU - this was not. And I cannot believe that Elfman was allowed to do it like this. It baffles me. The score is on point maybe 2/3 times in the film, when it should be knocking on emotional doors for 90% of it. Really massive missed opportunity. Why the FECK does it open with Star Wars notes? Really can't get over this one. You have an absolutely phenomenal inbuilt theme and musical tone that is tossed aside. Using that music for 30 seconds at the Kryptonian Ship was ****ing criminal. I did not mind the incorporation of '78 Supes and Batman themes at all, I do not see why that could not have been done with the previous scores too. Genuinely gutting for me.

The OK and gets better with each viewing:

Superman. You can absolutely tell that there was more of his story in there. It was butchered and reshot to accelerate and pander to people and it's gutting. At first it really jarred with me, but on further viewings it got much better. I thought at first he was smiling as he stood over Steppenwolf and pummeled him but it was a grimace so that was OK. And I wasn't a fan of freeze breath just appearing out of nowhere. His speed was a slight issue but I can accept that he is simply more powerful than ever before. However - I wish we had spent the time needed to actually transition him from one emotional place to another properly. His "recovery" is comical in its speed. I heard a rumour that Ma Kent arrives at the Farm earlier and reiterates the "listen to my voice, pretend it's an island" to help bring him back with Lois - this would have been 10000% better (and if it also had the MoS/BvS music....holy ****) - buuuut it is what it is. Rushed recovery was disingenuous and another casualty of run time I think.

Cyborg - great structure and arc for him, but it feels like there should have been more and I would have preferred that. I find myself much more compelled by the character and Ray Fisher's awesome portrayal much more than I had imagined. He absolutely stands toe to toe with these other heroes and thats great.

The story is pretty tight and things are actually paid off - the problem is the speed at which you're supposed to pick that stuff up initially. The studio mandated runtime really doesn't do a single thing to improve the film in my opinion. Nothing at all.

I can't be arsed with director wars and such - all I'll say is that I hate that Zack didn't get to finish off his trilogy and his vision properly, and in such **** circumstances. I wish him and family luck in finding peace with what happened. And I really don't envy the position Joss Whedon ended up in, whether it was planned or just evolved that way. It must be a **** thing as a creative to have to bend to so many different viewpoints in that sense. I don't agree with some of the stuff he has done (Elfman being the biggest mistake IMO) but I also respect that he managed to finish off and help create a film that works for the most part with reportedly a lot of studio meddling.
    From
    Palo Alto, CA
    1 Week Ago  Dec 2, 2017, 6:39 PM - Re: Justice League (Post-release) #69

I haven’t watched it yet and, based on the reception, I’ll probably wait for the blu-ray.
    Is it true that The Flash didn’t have a single line of dialogue that wasn’t a joke?
    1 Week Ago  Dec 3, 2017, 3:59 AM - Re: Justice League (Post-release) #70

dascoyne said: View Post
    I haven’t watched it yet and, based on the reception, I’ll probably wait for the blu-ray.
    Is it true that The Flash didn’t have a single line of dialogue that wasn’t a joke?
    For the most part, they were jokes. But he does have some real and heartfelt lines here and there.
  21. RPF Premium Member
    1 Week Ago  Dec 3, 2017, 2:16 PM - Re: Justice League (Post-release) #71

dascoyne said: View Post
    Isn't really a joke when he is having one of the most emotional scenes in the film as he talks with his incarcerated father, no. He is traditionally a more humorous character, and they do play to that though.

Probably best not to listen to hyperbole, chief.
    From
    Palo Alto, CA
    1 Week Ago  Dec 3, 2017, 3:02 PM - Re: Justice League (Post-release) #72

Fawbish said: View Post
    Isn't really a joke when he is having one of the most emotional scenes in the film as he talks with his incarcerated father, no. He is traditionally a more humorous character, and they do play to that though.

Probably best not to listen to hyperbole, chief.
    Which is why I asked in the first place.
  23. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    From
    CNY
    1 Week Ago  Dec 3, 2017, 5:05 PM - Re: Justice League (Post-release) #73

Personaly I'd look at audience reaction vs critics, which is considerably more positive.
  24. RPF Premium Member kevin926's Avatar
    1 Week Ago  Dec 3, 2017, 10:43 PM - Re: Justice League (Post-release) #74

reelprops said: View Post
    Cut out!!! Non existent

Reel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It wasn't cut out. He was talking to cyborg when he climbs into the night crawler

I really enjoyed it. Can't wait for more
  25. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    From
    CNY
    1 Week Ago  Dec 3, 2017, 10:55 PM - Re: Justice League (Post-release) #75

kevin926 said: View Post
    It wasn't cut out. He was talking to cyborg when he climbs into the night crawler

I really enjoyed it. Can't wait for more
    I think he was talking about the scene where Alfred is fixing the car and Superman shows up.