Help for Dragon Age Grey Warden scail mail

Shaggera

Hi !
I'm new here, and i don't seem to find an answer to my problem.
I want to do the grey warden armor pictured in Dragon Age Inquisition which have scails all over the fabric like here :
071bfca7dd3f216e5a32a31df68c4e2f--dragon-age-alistair-grey-warden.jpg 34db6d9ad6304f09c2f418dd7abff2f3--alistair-dragon-age-alistair-theirin.jpg

I know the basics of making a scail armor but I don't know how can I sew them like the costume, because no borders are visible and the fabric between two portions of scails is not very large. For short, how can I hide the borders of the scails ? And should I sew them directly without rings or making it normaly with ring and sewing later ?

I'm a bit lost here. I'll take any advice :)
(sorry for my english, not my first language)

Thank you

You can get EVA foam cut in the shape if scales, they even come with sticky backs to attach to fabric. It would probably be a lot lighter and cheaper too.

Back in the 80s, when I wore a leather jacket. I had a section on my jacket that is idnetical to that...we used Pyramid Studs, low profile flattish studs.
4-Claw-Pyramid-Studs-Made-From-Copper-Never-Rusty.jpgThese are brass, but it shows the sizes, they mostly come in silver anyway. A quick ebay search will find bulk purchase prices fairly cheap. We had to buy them individually back in the day, from the leather shop, they weren't as expensive as Rocket studs :)

Last edited:
I would recommend going for a shiny quilted material (and maybe try dry brushing corners to add depth) instead of trying to get actual scales or studs. a quilted fabric will give you those tight layer lines without the weight. with some careful drybrushing you can weather and give texture to the shiny material to make them look more natural and worn-in.

This rpf-forum member [Link to their thread] has material similar to what I would recommend.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back