Saw Reverse Bear Trap

SATELLITE74

I wanted to try using oxidising paint, so I made this. It's 95% metal, mostly aluminium and is pretty heavy.I was able to source some of the correct detail pieces, the printer head on the rear was the best find as it would have been hard to duplicate. The bits I couldn't find, I made. The rusting paint is good to use but it's a dirty job prepping it before activating it.
I'm quite happy with the result and am thinking about making the MK.2 as a complimentary piece.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 12,698
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 8,147
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 16,432
What a beauty! I keep saying I want to make one of these for a halloween costume one year. Dont think my neck could deal with a 95% metal one though, teehee. Well done!

Thanks! You would need a strong neck, yes. The good thing with that rusty paint is that you could make it out of any material and once painted it would look fine.

Looks great! How were you able to find out that printer parts were used? I would be interested in knowing what model and any other parts that you know of.

This was the first prop I ever made, I was about 90% complete and somebody stole it! It's what got me into the prop making game and I always said I'd go back and make it again, but after seeing this, I'm not sure I could, this is ****ing gorgeous!

Also curious about the sourced parts? When I built mine you couldn't even find a high res image on the internet :/

Looks great! How were you able to find out that printer parts were used? I would be interested in knowing what model and any other parts that you know of.

Thanks, many hours of googling found me most of the parts.The printer part actually comes from a mid 1970s' German printing calculator an MBO TRS 1300P or models either side of it. Mine was from an Olympia CA120, same era but with slight differences, a lucky Ebay find. The bicycle brake parts are copies of vintage MX style ones.The sprocket on the left side is from a 1996 vintage Shimano 6 speed freewheel. The other side is not as accurate, I couldn't find the right type(went through lots of freewheel sets to try) The things on the piston are retort stand clamps. All the other smaller detail parts and the stopwatch box I had to make. There are other easily available bits on it, like the braided hose on top and the pnuematic fittings. Hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

This was the first prop I ever made, I was about 90% complete and somebody stole it! It's what got me into the prop making game and I always said I'd go back and make it again, but after seeing this, I'm not sure I could, this is ****ing gorgeous!

Also curious about the sourced parts? When I built mine you couldn't even find a high res image on the internet :/

Thank you, Screenused sold the prop a while back and had fantastic pictures of it that were invaluable in the making of mine.

- - - Updated - - -

This is so awesome, if you told me it was the real thing i'd believe it!

Thanks, I appreciate that.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that looks spot on to the movie! I've always wanted to make a real-world, steel version myself.

Thanks I am quite pleased with it. You should give it a go, it's a tricky but fun project.

Whew! You have no clue how much this has helped me out,I found the MX bicycle breaks on my own,but this is spectacular!!! The printer pieces drove me crazy for months,I was thinking it was part of a cassette player lol!! I hope mine looks half as good as yours!. I'm doing mine in aluminum(some brazed on pieces) and doing certain parts in resin,but I'm trying to locate as many source parts as possible and this is a tremendous help! Again, amazing work!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-02-13-04-18-00-924.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-02-13-04-18-00-924.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 428
  • Screenshot_2020-02-13-04-17-18-750.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-02-13-04-17-18-750.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 1,077
I wanted to try using oxidising paint, so I made this. It's 95% metal, mostly aluminium and is pretty heavy.I was able to source some of the correct detail pieces, the printer head on the rear was the best find as it would have been hard to duplicate. The bits I couldn't find, I made. The rusting paint is good to use but it's a dirty job prepping it before activating it.
I'm quite happy with the result and am thinking about making the MK.2 as a complimentary piece.
Wow! Just Wow!!! Would you consider making for others to purchase?

Wow! Just Wow!!! Would you consider making for others to purchase?
Hi, thanks. This was a difficult build, I don't think I could find the real world parts again, especially the mechanical calculator mechanism, so I think it's going to be a one off. But I appreciate the ask.

Whew! You have no clue how much this has helped me out,I found the MX bicycle breaks on my own,but this is spectacular!!! The printer pieces drove me crazy for months,I was thinking it was part of a cassette player lol!! I hope mine looks half as good as yours!. I'm doing mine in aluminum(some brazed on pieces) and doing certain parts in resin,but I'm trying to locate as many source parts as possible and this is a tremendous help! Again, amazing work!
Missed this one! Happy to help, hope yours came out ok.

Hi, thanks. This was a difficult build, I don't think I could find the real world parts again, especially the mechanical calculator mechanism, so I think it's going to be a one off. But I appreciate the ask.
Thanks for the reply & your honesty. You’re very welcome. & understandable, would’ve been an awesome piece to have added to my mini collection. Not sure if you have any social media but if you do & it has more pictures of it & other items you’ve done, I would love to see them (if you don’t mind). Also would you happen to know someone who does a great reverse bear trap that you’d recommend? I’ve seen one on Etsy for $500 but I’m iffy on it. But if you ever for some reason decide to try again, to make a few to sale, please let me know. Enjoy your day

& or if you ever decided one day to sale your piece!!! I’ll be interested :) once again, thanks for the reply & sharing your lovely work

& or if you ever decided one day to sale your piece!!! I’ll be interested :) once again, thanks for the reply & sharing your lovely work
Thanks again, I have done a few other pieces that I posted here that you may be able to find, the werewolf in my pic is one of them. To be honest, I haven't kept up with the current times as to if there are any other bear trap makers, I made mine because I wanted a challenge, I hadn't even seen the film at that time!
If I ever do sell it, I'll let you know, here's a some more shots of it.
1.JPG4.JPG6.JPG

Thanks again, I have done a few other pieces that I posted here that you may be able to find, the werewolf in my pic is one of them. To be honest, I haven't kept up with the current times as to if there are any other bear trap makers, I made mine because I wanted a challenge, I hadn't even seen the film at that time!
If I ever do sell it, I'll let you know, here's a some more shots of it.
View attachment 1439821View attachment 1439822View attachment 1439823
Wow!!!! You have TALENT!!! I really mean that. I had to make an account to hopefully converse with you about it. The fact that you didn’t see the film at that time & made this, skills to the max!!! Thanks for sharing these photos, amazing work. I’ll admire your lovely work. Hopefully you had some new challenges?

Last edited:
Wow!!!! You have TALENT!!! I really mean that. I had to make an account to hopefully converse with you about it. The fact that you didn’t see the film at that time & made this, skills to the max!!! Thanks for sharing these photos, amazing work. I’ll admire your lovely work. Hopefully you had some new challenges? I’ll share one of my pics with you, if I could one day add a well done version of the reverse bear trap with them but I’m awaiting a digital countdown clock similar to the film, red sheet cover silk and seeing about a well done pig mask.
Nice collection you have started there, good luck with adding to it. I'm always looking for new things to do, but something very different each time.

Nice collection you have started there, good luck with adding to it. I'm always looking for new things to do, but something very different each time.
Thank you, I appreciate that. I look forward to your next different project. Keep us posted :) Enjoy your week.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back