New Star Wars paints

attachment.php

Nice

J

Attachments

• 6006b5244e2f9cd6fa4ed0f812bab741.jpg
    6006b5244e2f9cd6fa4ed0f812bab741.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 926
The weathering I mentioned is the paint work, what we call "weathering" to make a model look dirty. It's white with various over sprays of black to dirty it up, resulting in the final gray appearance.

aye. having done paint and build-ups for clients through monsters in motion more than 20 years ago, i'm well aquainted with what weathering is heh(and had a probably fair eye for color and greyscales at the time, i reckon). thus, my intense interest in going to magic of myth to get to the bottom of it all.

40 year old pics that have been more than likely "corrected", brightened, enhanced, rephotographed, shared over and over, however accurate the color to be believed to be true at the initial photograph, recycled, spit out, recycled again. stored on a server for who knows how long, sent over the internet and displayed on a monitor of myriad calibrations will not change my mind on the matter lol. there's also that factor of humans differing perceptions as well.

Last edited:
hey, remember this boxart of a falcon now being conceded not being white? looks white in the picture. yeah, it's not white either....s-l400.jpg
when my neighbor gave me one of these that he's already started, the main hull was painted flat white cuz you know, the box top.(in way back ancient times graphic art of this nature was done with photographs of photographs resized, rephotographed, cut with x-acto knives and taped...taped! together and rephotographed many times over to get images like these not using digital means. crazy cavemen, eh?)

anyhow, i fear i'm veering this further and further off topic.
good day, gentlemen.

Last edited:
Reefer Gray is a wild color it seems. In some photos it looks bluish, in some photos it looks neutral, and in others it looks greenish.

I've seen the 5-footer on display in two different venues, both times I was struck by how white it looked to my eye. Far more monochromatic than I had been expecting. It also had plenty of overspray -- tiny sand-like micro dots of paint all over the surface. From my TV prop making days, it looked exactly how we would "knock down" a light-colored prop so it looked better under studio lights. That was my impression at the time.

To me, the specific base color is less important than the contrast of the grays and weathering that go over it. You can use the exact Reefer White sent forward in time that ILM used in 1975 and if the grays, reds, and weathering put on top of it are too dark or the wrong hue in comparison it's going to look off.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back