ADVICE- Batman begins cowl / trying to sculpt a replicate

PhilBegins

Hi I am new to sculpting and I am currently in the middle of trying to sculpt a replica cowl of batman begins. This is my first time sculpt and I still havent had the chance to work with any proper clay sculpting tools as I waiting for them to come in the mail. I would love some feedback on my sculpt and im open to criticism. This is not complete theres obviously still more work to be done. I was going to just buy the begins cowl from gauntletfx but he says his mold is not in gopd condition and wasn't able to pull me a copy anytime soon so I decided I would have fun and try to do it myself. Started with doing a lifecast of my head and built on top of that.

Thanks! Any suggestions or advice to get it closer to the actual movie cowl? I have pictures that I compare with and try to match the angles and planes and thickness. Im not sure if the sides of neck should blend in more with the jaw line..? And I think the ears still need to be trimmed right?

I think it's looking great. I know your still working but I can't believe it's your first try. I can't really see anything obvious I would change. Really impressive work.

Try sketching a straight line down the center of the face. Helps with symmetry. So would a pair of sculpting calipers. When you get further along, silicone tipped tools and metal and rubber kidney tools will really help with the planing of the surfaces.
It's coming aling great as is, just keep at it.

Thanks for the tips I'll definitely try sketching that line down the middle for better symmetry! Anyone know if the jawline should be more blended with the neck and less defined..?

New pictures. Making progress. Still some work to do though. Feel free to comment and give some input!

Attachments

• 20171126_210859.jpg
    20171126_210859.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 255
  • 20171126_211021.jpg
    20171126_211021.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 241
  • 20171126_210949.jpg
    20171126_210949.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 238
  • 20171126_211103.jpg
    20171126_211103.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 221
Final sculpt of my Batman begins.

Final clay sculpt. I've molded it in rebound 25 using the trial kit and only had enough to get a good enough thickness but I didn't have enough to make keys on the mold. Fiberglass mother shell over that and did a smooth cast onyx resin copy which turned out not bad but some spots where the mold saged. Going to try bondo and sone sanding to fix areas. 20171228_202547.jpg20180109_212038.jpg20180109_212123.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back