Fallout 4 Laser Rifle build thread

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ok first I haven't started, I need some feedback. I hate when people start build threads with nothing, but I need some help. :lol
7Q7chXO.gif

I noticed the metal "rails" that run under the rifle barrel aren't in the same spot. I think the model is messed up. They look like they have a nub that is supposed to attach to the grip, but one is farther out. The arrows show what I'm referring to. The one on the right looks like it's out too far. The pics are larger so right click and "View" if you want to see the uh big picture...

gkwW5Sk.jpg

Now the pew pew end. Do you think that circle in the emitter would be a lens or is it an indented cone with a hole in it? It's a flat texture so I have no idea. It seems kind of lame to just paint a flat detail.

B9R6jX3.jpg

Do the round areas look indented? I think so, but I was sure if I'm seeing it correctly.

Wyix1Kc.jpg

I'm building this to be modular, just like it is in the game. So I have a few other questions on ideas, I just don't have pics until tomorrow. Mainly the lower area where the stock section connects on the barrel section isn't thick enough (the "fin" in the pic above). It's basically as thick as the stock piece, so I'm thinking about making it as thin as possible, but a little wider so the metal won't bend. You wouldn't notice any difference from the side, but it would be somewhat noticeable from the back when it was taken apart. I don't know any other way around that because they fudge it in game when the parts stick together.

I'm going to start ordering supplies, but I'm planning on making the whole front of the barrel (that sits recessed in the middle pic) out of 1/4" aluminum and then the surround out of something like 1/16" aluminum with an aluminum rod screwed into that and running the length of the bottom with the other various size tubing also aluminum sitting on that. The barrel and stock will be mostly MDF with styrene or ABS making the rest of the parts. I *might* make some accessories, I'm not sure yet. I'm making three of these, one for me, one for my nephew, and an extra...

Having built one of these several years ago based on the Fallout 3 version, I have to weep at how much better the reference is now.

What I can tell you about the Fallout 3 version is that there appears to be several instances of zero-thickness geometry on that model in the game. Like you say, they cheated a little bit, and one of the instances of the zero-thickness geometry is the area surrounding the trigger guard, under the barrel, in front of the stock. On most of the Fallout 3 builds, including mine, that was made the same thickness as the stock itself (without the rather wider rim which wraps around the top and butt plate of the stock).

So, for the model itself - we get to the age old question. Are you looking to reproduce the ingame, screen-accurate model, or are you looking to create the idealized model of what the laser rifle was intended to be? Do you want the bumpy, asymmetrical Vader helmet, or do you want the helmet that Vader actually would have had in-universe? Personally, I'm more in the idealized-camp myself, but I know a lot of us here want the bumpy helmet, warts and all.

As for the flat detail on the front face of the rifle - I would absolutely make that a lens. That'd be a neat detail that makes sense in-universe... and then you could install light in the barrel, too.

can you post more pics of your dilemma? I'd think about a stove burner for the 8 pronged pew pew endburner.jpg

Also, 1/4' aluminum is gonna be heavy. Maybe piping for less weight. 20171113_134612.jpgI really love Fallout 4. How you use the aluminum depends on what you are comfortable doing with it. I still need to add capacitors no stuff.

EDIT : I know I posted a 6 pronged stove, just posting a quick idea

Thanks for the input. I decided to use a piece of 1/4" aluminum because that rod at the bottom has to freely hang if it's taken apart so it needs to be strong. I think a similar thickness of plastic would start to bend after a while. I can't remember exactly, but it's like 1 1/4" wide by 6 3.8" long with a big hole in it. So it probably won't be that heavy. That piece and the front stock/grip area will be 1/8" aluminum for strength. I'm doing the detail cuts on those using a Dremel and files, so that will probably be the most challenging part. I've got most of the metal on the way and I'm going to go get the MDF this week. I want to try and cut the wood outside before it's too cold. It's in the 40s now.

Wish I could help you more, brother. I'm afraid I don't know much on how to go about scratch building. As it stands, 3d printing one has it's challenges as well, I've found.

One such challenge, that I'll add here, was mentioned above. The receiver area around the pistol grip, and the trigger area are paper thin in the 3d models. I believe these parts are meant to be thicker gauge sheet metal. As noted above, making the stock from wood often forces builders to make this area at least as thick as the stock, when in reality it's supposed to be thin, like sheet metal.

Have you thought about using sheet metal for this area? Hell, I've mulled with the idea of using metal for mine, and maybe making the pieces pin/rivet to it as shown in the renders.....

Fallout_4_Laser_Rifle.png

Here are my inputs:

Make the rails symmetrical. Most likely they are offset in the game to allow the various weapons addons without clipping issues.

Since it is laser weapon, I always imagined the center as a lens, or flat mineral glass. It can be located behind some "sheet metal" with a hole exposing the glass.

Yes, I think those round areas look to be indented.

Wish I could help you more, brother. I'm afraid I don't know much on how to go about scratch building. As it stands, 3d printing one has it's challenges as well, I've found.

One such challenge, that I'll add here, was mentioned above. The receiver area around the pistol grip, and the trigger area are paper thin in the 3d models. I believe these parts are meant to be thicker gauge sheet metal. As noted above, making the stock from wood often forces builders to make this area at least as thick as the stock, when in reality it's supposed to be thin, like sheet metal.

Have you thought about using sheet metal for this area? Hell, I've mulled with the idea of using metal for mine, and maybe making the pieces pin/rivet to it as shown in the renders.....

View attachment 773365

I'm making the whole front of the stock section, into the grip out of 1/8" aluminum sheet, so that should be no problem. I'm going to use those beveled oval details on the grip to hide where the aluminum part of the grip goes into the wood. The lower "fin" where it connects to the barrel is just about the same thickness, so they cheat when the gun is together in the game. So I'm going to make that a little thicker. Maybe like 1/16" on each side. I'm not sure whether aluminum would work for that or whether steel would be less prone to bending. Only part of that "fin" is open to receive the stock section so that would help strengthen it, I would think. We'll see.

For the under barrel rails, I thought about using aluminum strips, but that's like 22" inches per gun, so it would get expensive. It doesn't really do anything to the structure of the gun, so I think I'll just use some styrene strips.

I was looking at the emitter end again and it's hard for you to see without having the model to move around, but I'm convinced now that the emitter is actually an inverted cone with a hole in it. Here's a pic that shows it a little better.

mGLwQXp.png

I'm planning on getting the MDF this week. I ordered the wrong size router bit, so that will take a little longer too. I decided to glue a piece of .060" thick styrene to the top MDF piece of the barrel square so I can scribe the two lines into it. Everyone said MDF won't scribe that well so that should work. Hopefully I will have some actual pics within the next week.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back