Fine Molds 1/48 X Wing Build

Murph

I built one if these a few years ago, one of the first models I finished after getting back into this as an adult. It had probably been at least 15 years since my last model. This was right before Bandai got the licence so it was a great time to get back in the hobby. My skills are WAY sharper now, about 10 models later, so I decided I wanted to build another one. (Plus I accidentally left the one I finished at my ex's place after I moved out so it's probably in a landfill now.) I think Revell has stopped producing the reissue now so I grabbed one at a decent price when I could this summer. Finally ready to get moving on it. I was smart and washed all the pieces before building.

20171106_220832.jpg

I've always wanted to build an X with an original paint scheme, so I'm gonna go for that on this one. I think I'll mark it as red 4, and I'm going to follow a little bit of the markings on that studio model but not much. I have a pretty clear idea of how I want it to look, and I'm going to take some elements from the Rogue One markings and combine with ANH studio style to hopefully get something that looks original but still could easily be in flying by in the OT. Here's a pic of everything assembled. Love those small panel lines!

20171022_195357.jpg

I got some 3D printed parts from Gus, which are amazing! I got 2 pilots (had to grab that standing Luke to paint later!) and an R2 plus the cockpit chair.

20171028_150831.jpg

Rough day for this poor guy so far!

20171029_113807.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Ah crap, I'll sort out the sideways pics on future posts, I can't deal w it right now, lol

Pilots are Falcon 3D Parts, highly recommended! Cockpit pretty much done. Falcon 3D makes a super accurate (to full size set) replacement cockpit that he said he could do in 1/48th for me but I decided I didn't want to deal with the surgery required to put it in, plus couldn't really afford it since like many others I just spent $400 on you-know-What, haha.

The cockpit on this model kinda sucks but I did my best with some decals and paint. Didn't even begin to bother trying to make it accurate in any way.

20171105_133412.jpg

20171105_133445.jpg

20171105_134517.jpg

Used Vallejo black primer straight out the bottle at like 30 PSI, worked p well. Base coat is Tamiya mixed very close to AS20. The standard recipe, basically. Came out great. I'd like to thank Ikea for providing the beautiful backdrop for this photo.

20171111_182150.jpg

G’day Murph ,
I recently got one of these ( Master Series ) , that I’m hoping to include for my Deago MF build diorama ( Echo Base ) . I’ve had an original MPC X-wing sitting on my wardrobe for 20+ years and thought to use that , but after getting some advice on using either the more accurate Finemolds/Revell or Bandai ( Electronic ) instead , I was lucky enough to pick one up over here for $50AUD .

Anyhoo , just wanted to say thanks for sharing your build ( I’ve subbed ) , and I’m looking forward to seeing how you tackle the exterior paintwork . Your pilot and cockpit look beautifully finished .

Cheers Ged :thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ged! I'll post some more tomorrow- hoping to finish a bunch of the colored panels, but probably not the red wing markings. Masking on those always takes ages.

You can see in that pic that one of the cans cracked when putting it on. Luckily it's one of the bottom ones and on the inner side. Not too worried about it.

I have basically all the colors finished now, will put up some pics later. It took me forever to make final decisions because things always looked slightly different than I had pictured once I saw them on the actual model. I ended up repainting a few panels once or twice to find the right balance of interesting-but-not-too-busy. I'm pretty happy with where everything landed. I think it looks pretty "Rogue One". I also used a lot of the small markings decals, which I've never done on an X Wing before.

Nice update Murph . Could you share what paints / type / brand - you’re using for the exterior panels / markings i.e. red ? yellow ? .
Also , I checked out Gus’ 3D Falcon site . He’s got some terrific products there ( gotta save up for those Deago MF exhaust replacements ) , but I didn’t see any 1/48 scale pilot figures ? Larger scales yes . Were they a special made request ?

:cheers Ged

Thanks! Yeah that pilot brings everything up a notch for sure, way better than the stock blob.

Finished all the colors, except I can't decide between a yellow or white nose cone. I'm gonna complete the weathering and finishing on both and decide later. Open to suggestions:

20171123_154421.jpg

20171123_154332.jpg

Took both of those right before misting with the base coat. Unfortunately the misting went further than I meant it to and knocked everything back too much for my taste. I'm really disappointed. Oh well. It doesn't look BAD, just way duller than I had wanted. I'll be more careful in the future I guess.

Anyone have any tips on that step of the process that I can file away for next time?

Nice update Murph . Could you share what paints / type / brand - you’re using for the exterior panels / markings i.e. red ? yellow ? .
Also , I checked out Gus’ 3D Falcon site . He’s got some terrific products there ( gotta save up for those Deago MF exhaust replacements ) , but I didn’t see any 1/48 scale pilot figures ? Larger scales yes . Were they a special made request ?

:cheers Ged
Yeah, I just emailed and asked if he could do 1/48th - figured it wouldn't be hard to do.

For the red I just used Tamiya XF7. The yellow is a mix of Vellejo green ochre and yellow ochre. It looked way nicer before I misted the base coat, as mentioned, lol.

Yeah, I just emailed and asked if he could do 1/48th - figured it wouldn't be hard to do.

For the red I just used Tamiya XF7. The yellow is a mix of Vellejo green ochre and yellow ochre. It looked way nicer before I misted the base coat, as mentioned, lol.
I also used Tamiya XF 7 red on mine, turned out a little bright IMO , I'd add a little red-brown to knock it down next time.

I toned down my Tamiya XF 3 yellow by adding some XF 4 Yellow-green and liked how that muted the color.

979be6469b3482f4dfc26095b9f7fc6a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

For misting over with base colour I mix a little of the base colour with clear then spray. That way I can slowly build the colour until I am happy with it.

Hey Murph ,

How’s it going mate ? Just wondering if you managed to rectify that misting problem you had , and if you’re planning to share any further ( final ) photos of this beauty ?

:cheersGed

p.s. Which nose cone did you end up going with ?

Hey! I actually AM basically done w this, just have been way too busy to post anything lately. My company had record breaking sales the last 2 months and I've been so busy.
I'll try to update after work tonight. Went with the grey nose cone.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back