Best Material for a Plaque

Brien

I'm a platoon sergeant for about 50 soldiers and our platoon has been dubbed The Fighting Narwhals. I have sculpted a plaque that I plan to give out to Soldiers when they leave the unit for greener pastures. I will mold in silicone and I had planned on casting in cold cast bronze but I am somewhat concern about long term costs. Has anyone made anything like this? I thought I might be able to cast the duplicates in stone, something like Ultracal. My concern is resiliency of the material as Soldiers tend to move around a lot. I know reinforcing the cast will keep it from snapping but I am really concerned about details and edges.

I would love to get some input. I have attached a pic of the sculpt to show what I am working with.

Narwhal.jpg

How big is it? My initial reaction was to just cast it in resin. I have plenty of things that I've kicked around my shop made in resin that still look good.

It's just under 8" diameter and about 1.25" thick. I'm with you, my initial thought was resin but as this is all coming out of pocket, stone would be cheaper in the long run.

You can add filler material to resin to save on cost. An example would be sand or aluminum powder, both are pretty cheap. I think resin would be stronger and retain the details better. There are a lot of different resins out there, and they vary in price. I think stone might have a problem reproducing the lettering. How deep is the lettering? If it's really deep stone may rip up the lettering in the mold over time. You might reduce the depth of your master some to reduce cost, it's pretty thick.

It's a really cool project, I hope you work something out.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back