Bade Runner 2049 Badges

Gordon Gekko

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Decided to get going on the badges from 2049. First up is the standard officers badge:

90ybtCh.jpg
i0Cy8V0.jpg

Next up will be the Detective badge.

Comments always welcome.

-GG

Last edited:
Re: BR 2049 Badges

Dont know how I missed this! Looks great! I have a few blurry stills of the badge and it looks like you nailed the design!

Just a bit of an observation about the LA city seal. It's a bit more visible on pictures of the patrolman's hat badge:
View attachment 772248
There is a visible shield outline at the top and sides, and dividing lines between the quadrants. The other thing is about the heraldry of the lower quadrants, which can also be seen in this scan of the badge photo from the art book:
View attachment 772249
The lower left element looks to be a modified version of the California flag, except the grizzly bear is rampant sinister (on it's hind legs with it's forepaws outsretched facing the 5-pointed star on it's right) as opposed ot the normal at bay posture, like this:
View attachment 772255
That may be what's on your design but the render isn't that clear. The lower right quadrant doesn't look right though, from the photos it looks like it's based on the Mexican Eagle in the real LA seal, an eagle displayed reguardant (upright with it's wings outstretched an head turned to the right), biting a snake. However, the style of the eagle in the badges looks a bit a bit more like the USA coat of arms eagle, with it's wings raised level with it's head and legs outstretched - this sort of shape:

eagle1.png
You can also just about see the lines between the quadrants in the scan from the art book too.

All these may acually be there on your model, but not visble in the renders in the OP though.

Just a bit of an observation about the LA city seal. It's a bit more visible on pictures of the patrolman's hat badge:
View attachment 772248
There is a visible shield outline at the top and sides, and dividing lines between the quadrants. The other thing is about the heraldry of the lower quadrants, which can also be seen in this scan of the badge photo from the art book:
View attachment 772249
The lower left element looks to be a modified version of the California flag, except the grizzly bear is rampant sinister (on it's hind legs with it's forepaws outsretched facing the 5-pointed star on it's right) as opposed ot the normal at bay posture, like this:
View attachment 772255
That may be what's on your design but the render isn't that clear. The lower right quadrant doesn't look right though, from the photos it looks like it's based on the Mexican Eagle in the real LA seal, an eagle displayed reguardant (upright with it's wings outstretched an head turned to the right), biting a snake. However, the style of the eagle in the badges looks a bit a bit more like the USA coat of arms eagle, with it's wings raised level with it's head and legs outstretched - this sort of shape:

View attachment 772261
You can also just about see the lines between the quadrants in the scan from the art book too.

All these may acually be there on your model, but not visble in the renders in the OP though.

Thanks for the comments. More eyes are always better.

I think there are some differences between the seal on the hat badge and the PO badge. I don't see the shield shape on either badge, it looks like laurel leaves on the sides with maybe 4 stars at the top and I see no indication of the quadrant lines on the PO badge.

In the lower right, I have changed my eagle a bit.

In the lower left quadrant, I think they are using the rampant lion from the L.A. seal but have added a star.

Upper right, 4 simple vertical lines.

Upper left, I have no idea. On the hat badge, I see a field of stars, on the book scan, very faint whatever it is??

Right now I'm running a test to see how well these details print even at 35 microns. :eek

Thanks for the comments. More eyes are always better.

I think there are some differences between the seal on the hat badge and the PO badge. I don't see the shield shape on either badge, it looks like laurel leaves on the sides with maybe 4 stars at the top and I see no indication of the quadrant lines on the PO badge.

In the lower right, I have changed my eagle a bit.

In the lower left quadrant, I think they are using the rampant lion from the L.A. seal but have added a star.

Upper right, 4 simple vertical lines.

Upper left, I have no idea. On the hat badge, I see a field of stars, on the book scan, very faint whatever it is??

Right now I'm running a test to see how well these details print even at 35 microns. :eek

I'm assuming the real badges were either 3D printed, or cast from a 3D printed master. I think the seal on both badges would have used the same model, though resized for the wallet/lapel badge to make it a smaller diameter and also possibly compressing the height (for a thinner fit inside the wallet) .Compressing the height vectors on the model would explain why the details on the wallet badge are less distinct (hence why the stars in the upper left quadrant have almost disappeared).

Regarding the shield outline, i can definitely see it on the cap badge (it's only the sides and top sides that are visible - the curved bottom is covered by the laurels). Here's an enlarged image of the cap badge seal - I've pointed out the lines that are the edges of the seal and quadrant dividers:
cap_badge_seal.jpg
Here's a similarly-enlarged image of the seal on the PO badge in the art book:
LAPD_Seal.jpg
The lines are much lest distinct (Distinct!) than the cap badge ones (which as I suggest would be due to being resized for a smaller diameter and height compression), but you can still just about see them.

I think you may be right about what in in the lower left quadrant - it looks like they have combined the rampant lion of León from the Crown of Castile with the star from the California flag from the real LA city seal.

I hope the print comes out OK - I guess you will be having a go a the Detective badge if it works?

I hope the print comes out OK - I guess you will be having a go a the Detective badge if it works?

Thanks again for the input. Your graphics have convinced me! I totally agree they would not have created different artwork for each badge. I just couldn't see some of the details because I was only focusing on the PO badge. So what do you think,upper left quad = field of stars?

And yes, Once I have this badge nailed, it will be on to the detectives badge,

And for anyone who has asked - I'm heading toward a complete metal cast badge in a leather wallet with backlit I.D.

Thanks for the comments buzby... Keep 'em coming.

Reminds me of doing the Knights of the Cruciform Sword Pin back in the day. Mind you a pin barely over an inch tall and we were discussing tiny angles. Good times!!!

Thanks again for the input. Your graphics have convinced me! I totally agree they would not have created different artwork for each badge. I just couldn't see some of the details because I was only focusing on the PO badge. So what do you think,upper left quad = field of stars?
Cheers! Yes, the upper left quadrant looks like stars, 4 rows of 4, 3, 4, 3 in a diamond pattern. It looks like they have split the Stars and Stripes from the US Shield in the upper left of the LA seal and put the 2 parts in the 2 upper quadrants.

I guess the problem is matching the level of detail in the model with what can actually be output by the printer's resolution. If it gets too complex is there the risk it will just come out as a unrecognisable blob?

And just a general question since I have no idea. Are LAPD wallet badges generally flat, or do they have a slight curve?

-GG

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back