Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe)

The full and complete version of that Asimov quote is a good read and worth seeking out. It's too bad it doesn't quite apply to what we're talking about here, which is not a strictly fact-based body of knowledge. We're specifically talking about how different individuals emotionally process the things that bring them joy and satisfaction — art, if we need to slap a label on it.

Sorry, fellas, but that's an area of life which is partly subject to intuitive opinion and can't simply be fact checked or graphed on a spreadsheet. I'm afraid there's some pesky gray between all that black and white you insist on seeing everything in.

Edit: This was in response to some posts that appear to have been deleted by the mods.

Last edited:
To boil the topic of the last dozen or so posts down: Not everyone likes every story. This in itself does not make one good or another bad. I also learned early on that just because something might be a "great" movie, doesn't necessarily mean it's a good one. There are a lot of movies I've watched where I can point out all the ways in which they're important ot the evolution of the medium, of our ability ot tell and take in stories, etc. But for most of them, they're not my go-to when I'm wanting to actually be entertained. Similarly, "simple" or "complex" do not, by themselves, indicate whether something will be good or not.

So yes there's a lot of subjectivity in the arena.

But one thing I also learned from my study of film -- both official and amateur over a lifetime -- is that the best movies are complex without being impenetrable, engaging without being frivolous, exciting without being nonstop action and explosions... They make you care about the characters and what happens to them (in this one context, I do like Bayformers for giving the military unit personality and -- shockingly -- having them survive not just one but multiple films)... And, I feel, there should be a good and memorable and well-applied score -- I strongly respond to a good interplay of music and visuals.

I'd have to think for a while, over all the movies I've seen, which few I feel are perfect or close to it. And why. But one I know is near the top is The Princess Bride. Characters, dialogue, acting, wardrobe, timing, story, music... The few things that ding it from being truly perfect for me (not quite long enough, obvious actors in rubber suits as the ROUSes, occasional difficulty understanding Andre through his accent) I can easily forgive because of all the rest that makes it so wonderful.

I can, if I felt like taking the time and making the effort, sit down and express over pages of symbolic logic how and why it is objectively a very good film (even if some people don't like it -- and I'd consider that more a psychological reflection of something amiss with them than I would a valid counterargument to my thesis)... But I won't. It's enough for me to know inductively that it's a good film and to know that, if challenged, I could elucidate as to why, without needing to lay it all out deductively to "show my work". It's enough to know there are sufficient metrics to be able to come up with at least pseudo-objective standards for what makes a good movie (absent experimental greatness), and that it can be refined further to establish what makes a good film in this or that fictional setting (I, personally, feel like I have a very high Star Wars, Star Trek, and Transformers IQ, in this sense ;) ). I think where The Wook and I are in agreement on this is that we haven't sat down to enumerate all the line-items of what does or does not make a decent-to-good Star Wars film, but we have enough of a gestalt sense of it that we feel able to assert that such a standard baseline can be established.

He and I do differ in our conclusions, however. I can appreciate the Prequels and TFA and R1 for what they were trying to do, even as I can rattle off all my structural and stylistic complaints and things I'd recommend as changes for the better. But I can still compartmentalize both of those and have re-watched both newer films several times since acquiring them on home-video. Whereas his enjoyment suffers from his appraisal of what's missing. That, then, enters the realm of subjectivity. I don't feel I'm a fool for enjoying them despite their faults, and I don't feel he's a fool for not enjoying them for the same reason. I'll leave it to a higher power to determine which of us is suffering more...

..But where I see him coming from (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that -- leaving out whether one enjoys the newer films or not -- they could have been done better, and I agree. And I'm pretty sure he and I would likely agree on the broad strokes of what that would look like, and there the balls got dropped. I can appreciate him not giving the makers a pass, and wanting to somehow force them to rise to the quality of the universe they're fortunate to be playing in. And, like me, he hates being dismissed as a crank and gets more strident when treated thus. I, also, would like a better term than "SWIQ", but I also can't think of a better and equally succinct one. *sigh*

--Jonah

I beg to differ. I saw it when I was 9 and was entranced by it. The Godfather is relatively tame. No gratuitous sex. Hardly a swear word. And, not a whole lot of violence. Just enthralling characters. JAWS is far worse and you'd show that to an 8 year old without a thought. It hooked me. My friends were watching these idiotic super hero cartoons and I preferred The Godfather. Kids are much smarter than parents give them credit for. They can handle and appreciate films like The Godfather and Cuckoo's Nest, etc. We just insist on feeding them simple Disney stuff non-stop.

Lighten up, Francis. I was joking around. Sorry I didnt dumb it down for you by adding some inane emoticon.

1090dc1fdc42e58d45dc1a374db6fbdb2292d5fcaba942aeddec8558b50a70b6.jpg

T I think where The Wook and I are in agreement on this is that we haven't sat down to enumerate all the line-items of what does or does not make a decent-to-good Star Wars film, but we have enough of a gestalt sense of it that we feel able to assert that such a standard baseline can be established.

But it will still be a baseline standard of two, or three, or thousands but it will still be entirely subjective. There's nothing unique about STAR WARS as a film, specifically ANH, that is actually unique at all beyond the visuals. Any attempt to create a baseline is just parroting all of the genres and influences that GL had in mind while making the first film. There will come a day, possibly sooner then later, when there will be new films created that are entirely devoid of your baseline but they will still be STAR WARS films, just ones not for you. And that's ok, because there are no objective truths in art.

Been resisting delving into this, but I think that I might play :)

I do find (as most people who know the ins and outs of star wars) @The Wook that I do generally, even mostly agree with you and find your posts generally entertaining, and therefore I hope that you take this as part of the hypothetical playfulness that I’m sure you enjoy.

I found the concept of the “SWIQ” interesting briefly but after even the 3rd time I had read the term “SWIQ” I found it was already really, really, really dull.
Now I just hear “practical effects.... practical effects...” whenever I see it and switch off.

So here is the play.
If there are only absolutes, which is better Star wars? or Empire? because you can only have one by your rules of an absolute perfection (unless you think they are exactly the same, which would seem weak given the myriad of variables).

By naming one, the other is lesser and therefore it is lower on the scale than the better.
Absolutes obviously have no scale.

I promise not to judge you by your answer, but I am interested.

I know you addressed this to The Wook, but I'll also take a whack at it, as I feel it's relevant. ;)

If there are only absolutes, which is better Star wars? or Empire? because you can only have one by your rules of an absolute perfection (unless you think they are exactly the same, which would seem weak given the myriad of variables).

IMO? Neither is perfect. Both are very good. Both have issues in the narrative that I feel could have been addressed. How quick is hyperspace travel? It seems like the trip from Tatooine to Alderaan lasted maybe an hour. How close was the Anoat system to the Hoth system that the Falcon could get there without a hyperdrive? How long was the trip to Cloud City/how long was Luke training on Dagobah? Empire had a more compelling story, but it depends on Star Wars to establish the setting and context. Star Wars has the better Millennium Falcon model. Et cetera, et cetera. There's a reason in my rewrites I touched those two the least, and most of that was to tweak little things to fit the larger episodic sequence/narrative my rewrites established. But neither of them did I feel was perfect enough as to be sacrosanct and untouchable.

I have a much easier time forgiving these minor quibbles, though, than my issues with RotJ onward, and thus enjoy the first two better than any other since.

--Jonah

Thanks and sorry Jonah, I do fully understand and even agree with your points but just to be clear, in this hypothetical question I only need the name of a film... :)

Thanks and sorry Jonah, I do fully understand and even agree with your points but just to be clear, in this hypothetical question I only need the name of a film... :)

As previously stated, ANH is the only perfect Star Wars film even with its imperfections....for me, your results may vary.

ESB is a perfect movie.

(pre special additions)
While I do agree, but it cant exist without the first though. When I was a kid, the imagery from ESB was a big deal to me. Granted I was born in 82 so I didnt even see this until I was maybe 6? I personally like ESB more than ANH, so the absolute for me is ESB for sure.

I love ANH, but ESB is a cinematic masterpiece.

All of which continues to prove the point, sometimes a SW film is a great SW film, sometimes it’s a cinematic masterpiece but perhaps a less SW film and it’s entirely subjective and dependent on which you prefer.

ESB is probably my favorite, but as a kid I wouldn't say it's perfect. The whole Dagobah sequence, when I was 3 in 1980, was boring to me because I didn't fully understand it. I got that Yoda was training Luke, but I didn't really understand the Vader part and it kind of slowed the movie. As an adult, it works.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back