Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe)

Re: Ryan Johnson to write the next trilogy and direct Ep X

It's news like that which is really diluting my love of the originals, can't anyone come up with anything new nowadays. Disney really is milking the franchise to death.
Got that feeling with Blade Runner too. Great film 2049 but so open for an episode 3. Aargh!!!

It's news like that which is really diluting my love of the originals, can't anyone come up with anything new nowadays. Disney really is milking the franchise to death.
Got that feeling with Blade Runner too. Great film 2049 but so open for an episode 3. Aargh!!!

You can't have this argument just NOW. Star Wars was based on serial adventures which constantly added to the story. Lucas himself started things up again by doing the PT and CW, and games, and books, etc.

Disney didn't buy the franchise for $4billion dollars to just let it sit idle.

Point being, outside of the time between ROTJ and TPM, Star Wars was never meant to sit idle. Constant expansion has been part of its DNA from the start.

I really like this part from the article

In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored.

Star Wars is such a huge universe. It only makes sense to start telling stories from different POVs or even different eras. Lets hope there are no Jedi whatsoever or any talk of rebellions or anything like that.

Really hoping for Old Republic era stories...

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I really like this part from the article

Star Wars is such a huge universe. It only makes sense to start telling stories from different POVs or even different eras. Lets hope there are no Jedi whatsoever or any talk of rebellions or anything like that.

Agreed-- I'd love something completely new and removed from the Saga as we know it.

As someone who loved Rian Johnson, I love this news.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I dont think this will be Episode X, though. The article says this trilogy will be separate from the Skywalker saga.

It's in another part of the galaxy not explored by the films before, not Skywalker involved. Might need to edit the topic here.

A fresh start and new story ideas in a galaxy far, far away? I think this is potentially great news and probably why Johnson turned down Episode 9.

I dont think this will be Episode X, though. The article says this trilogy will be separate from the Skywalker saga.

Yeah i wasnt percise in my language for the title of the thread, apologies.

- - - Updated - - -

It's in another part of the galaxy not explored by the films before, not Skywalker involved. Might need to edit the topic here.

Fixed it. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. Just came here to start this thread and of course Bryan beat me.

I had been listening to the Disney earnings call. :)

Re: Rian Johnson to write and director a new trilogy of films..

Wow, they must be really convinced of his work on TLJ!
Can't wait!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

They said it's after the current trilogy, so hopefully it's WAAAAY after. I don't see a point in having another 3 flicks about another resistance group fighting the FO - who, in theory - should go down in IX.

People having been asking for this for a long time and now, people are complaining about it...go figure.

I really wish they would go the television series route instead of endless movies.

Or maybe they've found in him the perfect "Yes" man--a writer/director who follows KK's orders to the letter.

There it is. There's the cynical attitude towards LFL and KK :rolleyes Haven't even seen Rian's work and you're already doubting everything.

And is this new trilogy on top of any planned standalone films?

Star Wars movies every year until we all die!

And is this new trilogy on top of any planned standalone films?

Star Wars movies every year until we all die!

Hard to say, it doesn't say when they're launching. Maybe they're using it as the break between IX and X? 6 years of real saga, 6 years new saga, 6 more years of real saga...still lets you sprinkle in stand alones every other year.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back