Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe)

Disney have to be doing some serious house cleaning if they are to stop SW slipping into obscurity. Certainly not rewarding the guy that broke it.
He wants to tell stories in another galaxy? Then it can’t be Star Wars. It’s just sci fi that rips off someone elses IP.
What a f- wit!

Interestingly, the article cited in the Express article doesn’t mention anything about the Rian trilogy: https://www.cinemablend.com/news/24...atooine-was-part-of-an-upcoming-spin-off-film

The Express article quotes Lamont as saying: “We were just starting on our work on another Star Wars spin-off and yeah. We were actually just making our mark on Tatooine, which would have been interesting, and some other new galaxies.”

But that’s not the whole quote. Here’s the full quote from the Cinemablend article, written by the person who actually spoke with Lamont: “We were just starting our work on another Star Wars spin-off and yeah. We were actually just making our mark on Tatooine -- which would have been interesting and some other new galaxies. So hopefully, if that comes back, we'll get the chance to be able to do that further.”

...see the difference? The Express article uses the “other galaxies” part of the quote to make it seem like he might be talking about Rian’s trilogy, although even then it’s a flimsy argument, which is why the article is full of statements like “appears to be” and “appears to confirm.” Heck, even the headline of the article is a question, not a statement. In reality it’s clear he was just talking about the spinoff film. Singular.

I’d say it was interesting that a tabloid like Express would purposefully trim the quote in order to leave some uncertainty about what the person being quoted meant, but as this is their 4th or 5th article about the whole TLJ/Rian/Kennedy rumors, I guess it’s not that surprising.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cinemablend is a well known shill site for Disney so its not surprising that they left out the Johnson angle either. "Other galaxies" is the exact same term used to announce the supposed Johnson trilogy on the Star Wars.com website shortly after the release of TLJ actually. Go find it. I doubt very much that Lamont was referring to the D and D trilogy when he was referring to other galaxies.

Your use of bold font does not make your opinion any more impressive either just by the way

Addition.. Tattooine is not in another galaxy so he obviously wasnt just talking about the spin off film. Clearly NOT singular. The line "So hopefully if it comes back, we`ll get the chance to be able to do that further" is a nothing line, fairy dust.

Last edited:
Well, it’s the source for the Express article in any case. Express edited the Lamont quote in their article. The quote in the Cinemablend article provides the actual context for what Lamont meant when he said “other new galaxies.” He says “if that comes back,” referring to “another Star Wars spin-off,” as mentioned two sentences earlier.

It’s abundantly clear that he’s not referring to any trilogy. “If that comes back.” What is “that”? The spin-off film. Again. Singular, not plural.

As for bold text, any irregularity in the font is from copying over the quote from Cinemablend, not any adjustments I made. I don’t need to use bold fonts to make my point. The Cinemablend quote (in its entirety, as I posted it) really speaks for itself.

Abundantly clear? Speaks for itself? Sounds like more of Schrodinger's tea cup to me.:lol

You really should be more selective on the things you chose to ignore me on.

You really should be more selective on the things you chose to ignore me on.
You may be right :lol

It isn’t unclear, but in order to avoid turning the thread into an English language discussion of singular (that) and plural pronouns (they/those), and their antecedents, I’ll jump out here and let someone else have a go.

I guess "and other new galaxies" is singular then. Lets put the reference to going back to that as him saying there`s no going back to "other new galaxies. Oh well, cya.

Last edited:
I never got the 'other galaxies' bit.

We've not seen the ability or existence of other actual galaxies in SW have we? The FO was hiding in the unknown regions or whatever it was called. Tatooine is in the outer rim where the empire/republic barely went...They don't know they're own galaxy why go to others? And in the case of RJ's theoretical trilogy, why would people in a different galaxy be fighting the same opponent in a different galaxy?

If that article is true, which i know it may very well not be, it might bode well for IX. If you they're stopping stuff due to the reaction to VIII, you'd think getting a positive reaction to IX would be high on the list.

Disney just lost money on a Han Solo movie. You think they want to commit $750 million for a trilogy about all-new characters created by Rian Johnson? Who pitched it with zero story, basically his hat in one hand and optimism in the other, promising something totally new and unconnected from anything else in SW? It was a sly PR move for Disney to announce the trilogy before TLJ, but it's never going to happen. Ram Bergman said they may start preproduction in 2 years, "Maybe". That's a long time for something that's not an Avatar sequel.

Rian Johnson is too much risk.....Disney wants their screenings in the cinemas with everybody happy.....they are in damage control now

J

Disney bosses were in their own little "Happiest place on Earth" after TFA and obviously thought they could do no wrong with Star Wars giving Kennedy free reign and thus Johnson a trilogy. Boy did things change a week into TLJ screenings and here we are today. He wont be allowed near a Star Wars movie ever again. He couldnt even get his head around an established universe let alone create a successful new one.

1WF1Qg8.jpg

There has been too much violence, too much pain. None here are without sin, but I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Leave the box office, the Bluray, the toys, and the whole franchise, and I spare your dignity. Just walk away. I will give you safe passage to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror. I await your answer. You have until December 2019 to decide.

RJ was right in his comments on his trilogy though. When he said it'd be much better to do all three flicks himself.

That's the thing. There HAS to be an overall story people have to stick to if one guy isn't doing the whole thing. If there was, they wouldn't have moved IX back 6 months just because they changed directors.

I'm very interested to see what 9 brings. Do they make a mea culpa to any extent? Do they double down on TLJ? etc. That will likely be their answer to the legit things people hated about 8.

https://i.imgur.com/1WF1Qg8.jpg

There has been too much violence, too much pain. None here are without sin, but I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Leave the box office, the Bluray, the toys, and the whole franchise, and I spare your dignity. Just walk away. I will give you safe passage to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror. I await your answer. You have until December 2019 to decide.
As a Mad Max fan this comment put a huge smile on my face. Well done sir.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back