Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe)

Sounds promising:

Rian Johnson: “I mean honestly, (the new trilogy) came from getting toward the end of this film, end of the process. I mean, it kind of felt like the last week of senior year. We were all packing up our desks, cleaning out our lockers and we’d had such a good experience. Not just with this movie, but with (Kathleen) Kennedy and with the folks at Disney, Bob Iger, Alan Horn. We just had a really good collaborative relationship with everybody and we all were just kind of looking at each other and saying, ‘How do we keep working together?’ And so that was when I said, ‘The most interesting thing to me would be new trilogy. A new story told over three movies. To go a new place, new characters, clean slate. Let’s come up with something new.’ And there was nothing that seemed more exciting to me, and they were really excited about it.”

https://theplaylist.net/star-wars-the-last-jedi-new-trilogy-20171204/

Sounds promising:

Rian Johnson: “I mean honestly, (the new trilogy) came from getting toward the end of this film, end of the process. I mean, it kind of felt like the last week of senior year. We were all packing up our desks, cleaning out our lockers and we’d had such a good experience. Not just with this movie, but with (Kathleen) Kennedy and with the folks at Disney, Bob Iger, Alan Horn. We just had a really good collaborative relationship with everybody and we all were just kind of looking at each other and saying, ‘How do we keep working together?’ And so that was when I said, ‘The most interesting thing to me would be new trilogy. A new story told over three movies. To go a new place, new characters, clean slate. Let’s come up with something new.’ And there was nothing that seemed more exciting to me, and they were really excited about it.”

https://theplaylist.net/star-wars-the-last-jedi-new-trilogy-20171204/

Wait, this can’t be right, the only reason he is being allowed to do this is because he is a KK yes man....according to the hugely uniformed.

Wait, this can’t be right, the only reason he is being allowed to do this is because he is a KK yes man....according to the hugely uniformed.

No comment, rabble-rouser! ;) It's good to hear they're all in agreement about striking out in a new direction. But I suppose a lot of future goodwill towards Johnson will hinge on how well TLJ is received. Here's to hoping he's made something special.

Last edited:
Like there was ever any chance that Disney would not start planning another trilogy after this one wraps up? It was a given.

Disney is franchise-building. They are doing OT sequels. They are doing what they can with prequels in between the sequels. The natural next step is doing clean-slate inventions.

Like there was ever any chance that Disney would not start planning another trilogy after this one wraps up? It was a given.

Disney is franchise-building. They are doing OT sequels. They are doing what they can with prequels in between the sequels. The natural next step is doing clean-slate inventions.

Yes, this was all planned PRIOR to the purchase in '12, when they were crunching the numbers. Basically, we're looking at a film per year for...forever.

They also got a commitment from Ford prior to the purchase, that he'd do the first film, and promote it heavily and happily. In exchange for that, they'd kill him off, and pay him fat stacks, yo. Harry took a loooooong hit from his bong, held it in for 10 seconds, exhaled a giant cloud of smoke, and grumbled, "Deallll.".

The Wook

And that's why people don't trust stuff they read on the internet. Because people post fake stuff like this... as has been stated before, if you're going to post this as fact, back it up.

And that's why people don't trust stuff they read on the internet. Because people post fake stuff like this... as has been stated before, if you're going to post this as fact, back it up.

(To borrow something Hawkeye once said to Frank Burns...)

JD, you're ten of the most boring people I know.

Last edited:
Did no one see the article from yesterday where he said he'd consider bringing back jar-jar? Or is everyone pretending it didn't happen? :)

The biggest problem I have with that is that they don't seem to be ruling out another trilogy between ROTS and TFA which is a huge mistake IMO. I think you have to go well outside that range unless you do a set in the ROTS to RO area with vader hunting down the jedi - and they said it'd be apart from the existing area/characters....so what's the point of a trilogy in the same range with no jedi/sith, no emperor, vader, snoke, or Kylo? There's such a broad range out there to work with - get out of the existing timeframe!

Did no one see the article from yesterday where he said he'd consider bringing back jar-jar? Or is everyone pretending it didn't happen? :)

The biggest problem I have with that is that they don't seem to be ruling out another trilogy between ROTS and TFA which is a huge mistake IMO. I think you have to go well outside that range unless you do a set in the ROTS to RO area with vader hunting down the jedi - and they said it'd be apart from the existing area/characters....so what's the point of a trilogy in the same range with no jedi/sith, no emperor, vader, snoke, or Kylo? There's such a broad range out there to work with - get out of the existing timeframe!

I like jar jar in the new canon. Last we saw him, he is a bum, living on the streets doing tricks for spare change

The galaxy basically blames him for giving palp’s the emergency powers, and causing the empires evil dictatorship

The locals who don’t know who He is refer to him as the street clown lol

The Libyan terrorist racist stereotype, stops it being a perfect film

giphy.gif

Back to the Future is a perfect movie. Other films, such as ESB, do come close... :D

I love BTTF -- and the entire trilogy -- but can't call it "perfect" when it's entirely predicated on bad science. A paradox is not some fun little logic puzzle to think your way around -- the universe is simply not so structured as to allow it to exist. Marty could not go back and prevent his parents from conceiving him, as he would not exist to go back to prevent them from conceiving him. Period. None of that "fading out" artificial countdown drama. If that hadn't been in there, and it was a bit more Quantum Leap-y in approach ("Well, I'm still here, so I haven't irrevocably screwed things up -- there's gotta be something I have to do yet to get them together before I go back to 1985..."), I'd have less of an objective issue. Fun? Hell yes. Perfect. Nope.

I'd elevate Princess Bride or Sneakers closer to that descriptor, as their flaws are a lot more minor and more easily overlooked.

--Jonah

People are pissed because Johnson "didn't care about the fans," but we had a movie that was fan-focused. It was called The Force Awakens, and the fans hated it because it pandered. I think Johnson is good for the franchise. George Lucas never gave two ****s about what the fandom thought. Ever. He made the movies HE wanted to make.

I think Johnson is good for the franchise. George Lucas never gave two ****s about what the fandom thought. Ever. He made the movies HE wanted to make.

Exactly, which is why I think rians trilogy should be good. He wanted to make his own movie with TLJ, but he didn't want the material JJ gave him

Exactly, which is why I think rians trilogy should be good. He wanted to make his own movie with TLJ, but he didn't want the material JJ gave him
Yeah, he'll be better writing his own trilogy start to finish instead of having to deal with the middle arc of somebody else's.

I still hold out hope for this trilogy. Despite how badly I think Rian handled TLJ I still know he is a very capable film-maker. I hope that he deals with heavier themes and can manage the comedic aspects a little better. I know as a writer he knows how to put together twists and create scenes with deep emotional value, so I'm hoping that with complete creative freedom he can make something that is more cohesive than TLJ. I have more faith in this than I do in Ep9, which is really bittersweet.

People are pissed because Johnson "didn't care about the fans," but we had a movie that was fan-focused. It was called The Force Awakens, and the fans hated it because it pandered. I think Johnson is good for the franchise. George Lucas never gave two ****s about what the fandom thought. Ever. He made the movies HE wanted to make.

I think people are showing their anger and frustration towards the film not because ‘ he didn’t care about the fans ‘ , but because he ‘ didn’t seem to care about what came before in the OT and TFA ‘ . He was responsible for the 2nd film in the final (?) Skywalker Saga / Trilogy right ? . He’s been offered the next Trilogy , with the freedom to take it anywhere he wants to in the Star Wars universe . So why’d he have to damage aspects of the saga that many held / hold in such high regard ?

And regarding GL - people could argue that since he owned and developed the concept of Star Wars , he had pretty much every right to do as he pleased - rightly or wrongly . When RJ develops a franchise from scratch , then the same would apply .

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back