Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe)

I have strong feelings for and against TLJ. I want to like it more, but I can't accept the way it crapped all over so much of what had been set up in #7. TFA now feels like sort of a half-abandoned storyline.

Go back and watch the closing minutes of TFA now - it's wrecked. It feels like this big intense moment, with the lost lightsaber, the legendary lost Jedi master . . . maybe the most emotional moment in Rey's whole life . . . she is yearning for meaning & finding out who she might really be . . . and now the opening of TLJ basically has Luke saying: "Da Schwartz? Whatevah! I found that lightsaber in a crackerjack box!" How did this even get past the brainstorming stage? Between that, and the blue milk teats thing . . . the real theatrical version of Ep#8 basically opens with the SNL version of the first reel.

It is too obvious that they did this trilogy with no plan from one movie to the next which is inexcusable. Star Wars is not Fast & Furious. People expect some kind of multi-movie plot structure from SW.

Exactly,....Solo4114 said earlier "If you don't like the next movie, don't worry! Another will be on the way soon that you'll probably like more!",......I'm not a fan of that idea.....I've been spoilt by the superior Marvel Cinematic Universe where everything cleverly fits together perfectly,....each director is able to stamp their style, but the movies don't clash against each other the way that TFA (& all the previous films) & TLJ did

J

Exactly,....Solo4114 said earlier "If you don't like the next movie, don't worry! Another will be on the way soon that you'll probably like more!",......I'm not a fan of that idea.....I've been spoilt by the superior Marvel Cinematic Universe where everything cleverly fits together perfectly,....each director is able to stamp their style, but the movies don't clash against each other the way that TFA (& all the previous films) & TLJ did

J

I've mentioned before that within the next decade there will be more films released since 2015 then from 1977 to 2005, not including streaming tv series. I don't think the Marvel comparison is apt simply because the Marvel film universe is based on decades of comic books which established the universe. Marvel isn't deviating very far from what the comics have already provided as a road map. Star Wars up until 2015 was the singular vision of one man who only made 6 films and one cartoon series. There is a lot of wiggle room in how various creative people will interpret that work and it is inevitable it will branch out into different directions.I think it's intentional Lucasfilm is hiring a talent pool of very differing styles and previous work as they see the SW universe having far more flexibility and opportunity then Marvel. I would agree with that assessment.

It's not the source material that Marvel is drawing from that I'm talking about,....it's the delicate masterplan that binds their films together,...nothing clashes,....I'd prefer Star Wars to flow smoother,....the difference between TFA & TLJ is jarring,.....like sibling rivalry,...I couldn't dream of such an occurrence happening in Marvel or even in DC.....it's almost like 'Octopussy' vs' Never Say Never Again'

J

It's not the source material that Marvel is drawing from that I'm talking about,....it's the delicate masterplan that binds their films together,...nothing clashes,....I'd prefer Star Wars to flow smoother,....the difference between TFA & TLJ is jarring,.....like sibling rivalry,...I couldn't dream of such an occurrence happening in Marvel or even in DC.....it's almost like 'Octopussy' vs' Never Say Never Again'

J

I think I'm the only Bond fan who digs "Never Say Never, Again. :) What I mean is that the rich history of the comics IS the Marvel master plan and it's always been there. Perhaps in a decade there will be enough SW content to have that depth of source material. I understand where you are coming from, however, I have some OCD and want things to fit together as well.

The fact that Disney didn't get a road map with their SW purchase is no excuse for them to start rolling cameras without one. We're not talking about the stand-alone side projects, we're talking about Disney's main (and first) new trilogy.

It's disappointing because I liked a lot of things about TLJ. I don't hate the movie at all.

Just like with the prequels, these new SW movies have big strong points but they also have frustrating clumsy mistakes.

Last edited:
Whether you like the direction of Luke's story or not, you cannot deny that Mark knocked it the hell out of the park with his scenes. Put another way, Mark's performance itself completely sells and makes believable what the character is doing and feeling in the moment. It's grounded, it's emotionally very, very real, and it never comes across as "fake" or "just pretending" or whathaveyou.

Each time I saw it in the theater (and, I expect, every time I watch it on home video), it wrecks me the way he says "Where's Han". :cry

I can absolutely understand why some fans can't swallow a pill this big. Not everyone wants their art to challenge them.

I have no interest whatsoever in Rian Johnson's Star Wars. I didn't much care for Looper - found it to be pompous and not worked out completely. Most of all I found it kinda boring. The same with TJL. I wasn't challenged. I didn't find it to be big and epic. I was bored by the story, the chase that was more like a crawl, by the obnoxious people and the total disregard with what came before. Sure, many of the problems was set up in the ANH remake called TFA, but even that movie's build-ups were not only deflated, they were destroyed.

They feel more like fan films to me.

Both Looper and TLJ feels like they think they are some form of clever great art, when they just feel like splatter on a canvas to me. It feels like snobs trying to sell me a crappy painting for a lot of money because it's supposed to be "high art". Of the two films I've seen of his, I'm not a fan of his style, so have no interest in seeing anything else he does. There are very few directors I just don't want to watch movies from, such as Michael Bay, Zack Snyder (mostly the DCEU), and Uwe Boll. I'm not sure I'll rate Rian Johnson as bad as those, but his movies just comes of as kind of pretentious to me.

J

I would say that Marvel's films are a bit easier to mesh together because they aren't all telling the same story. They're telling parallel stories in a shared universe. Even within specific story franchises, the films are still basically telling separate tales with only a few linked details and backstory. For example, take the Thor films. The first one deals with Loki's eventual betrayal and the threat posed by the Destroyer. The second one deals with the Dark World and Malekith's threat. The final one deals with Hela (who, mythologically, should be Loki's daughter, not his long lost sister). There are some shared details, but much of the stuff that's discussed is independent of the rest of the story. Although the 3rd film does turn aspects of the first two on its head and retcons some stuff pretty seriously, while also blowing apart what came before plot-wise.

I don't think TLJ conflicted with the previous plot, so much as it rejected the suggested direction of the previous plot. The two pieces fit together, they just don't go where you think they're going to go. For better or for worse (worse, in my opinion), JJ set up TFA to tell a specific kind of story, laden with "mysteries" for which he really didn't know the answers and didn't care. Johnson said "That's cute, but I'm not interested in that, and it doesn't really serve the story." Then he went and told his own story. But nothing in the story that he told contradicts what came before. It simply rejects the suggested direction. Even so, it's all still just telling a single story, "cliffhangers" included. The Marvel films don't really work like that. At most, you get the "cliffhanger" in the form of the inter- and post-credit sequences that are meant to "seed" the next story, but which don't usually require any real connection to the one you've just seen.

Each time I saw it in the theater (and, I expect, every time I watch it on home video), it wrecks me the way he says "Where's Han". :cry

Yeah, it's a gut punch. He's so good in this role. Part of me wonders how much of this is a result of just general maturation and being more experienced later in life, and part of me wonders if he could always do this sort of thing but never was really given the opportunity to.

The point with marvel is there's a carefully articulated master plan. When <insert director here> gets Iron Man 4 (for example), he doesn't get to anything he wants period. There are points that have to be hit so that fits into the overall master plan.

That's what SW needs. There was one for the OT and even the PT. I think even CW and Rebels had them.

Doing whatever you want per film does not work in the context of trying to create a trilogy.

The point with marvel is there's a carefully articulated master plan. When <insert director here> gets Iron Man 4 (for example), he doesn't get to anything he wants period. There are points that have to be hit so that fits into the overall master plan.

That's what SW needs. There was one for the OT and even the PT. I think even CW and Rebels had them.

Doing whatever you want per film does not work in the context of trying to create a trilogy.

But do they have a master plan? Honest question I’m not familiar with how Feig developed these films. To be it always seemed they were simply cribbing from what has already been done in the comics especially in regards to The Avengers films.

I swear i've seen it quoted to Kevin Feige on multiple occasion that there was an overall plan. How detailed that plan was...who knows.

I'm also not saying the plan has to lay out minute plot points, but it SHOULD feature the broad strokes. It should lay out things like, no you can't kill this guy until part III, the good guys need to win around here, lose around there, or things like, but they end of part whatever, we need to be here. Otherwise it's just like the old classroom game telephone. Teacher tells first student in line a quote and the student has to whisper it down the line. By the time it gets to the last person, it's just gibberish, unrecognizable.

People talked about what if the PT was first. If it was, to end the way it did would mean they knew they'd be doing E4 relatively soon. Otherwise, you don't wanna end on that note. They could end the PT that way because 4-6 already existed end on two happier notes than they hit in the prequels. If E8 were actually E9 and thats how it ended with no 10 in sight, you'd lose a lot of that fanbase you're trying to keep/grow. However, if 10 is going to be coming down the pike in 3-4 years - much easier to do because you know you're continuing the story soon enough.

But do they have a master plan? Honest question I’m not familiar with how Feig developed these films. To be it always seemed they were simply cribbing from what has already been done in the comics especially in regards to The Avengers films.
They put the Tesseract in Thor all the way back in 2011, carried through into Captain America and Avengers 1. You can see Thanos crushing it in the trailer for Infinity War, to remove the infinity stone that's within it. The other stones have also been littered throughout various other films. That's pretty far reaching as far as planning goes.

No theres more to it than that....How the Thor, Iron Man & Capn Trilogies fit into the Avengers movies....& all the new characters introduced with their own films

The comics are there as a guide for ideas, but the films tell those stories very differently ...Age of Ultron comic for example has two alternate Earths,.....Spidey, She-Hulk, Wolverine, The Fantastic Four, Luke Cage, Ant-Man etc are all involved

J

I don't think TLJ conflicted with the previous plot, so much as it rejected the suggested direction of the previous plot. The two pieces fit together, they just don't go where you think they're going to go. For better or for worse (worse, in my opinion), JJ set up TFA to tell a specific kind of story, laden with "mysteries" for which he really didn't know the answers and didn't care. Johnson said "That's cute, but I'm not interested in that, and it doesn't really serve the story." Then he went and told his own story. But nothing in the story that he told contradicts what came before. It simply rejects the suggested direction. Even so, it's all still just telling a single story, "cliffhangers" included.

#8 was crafted carefully enough to avoid making any literal retcons. But it was still thematically way off.

I would find the difference more excusable if the step from #7 to #8 had been a difference in trilogies. Reboot, whatever. If there had been a number of years (real and/or fictional) between them.

But #7 literally walked into #8 the same way that Rogue One walked into ANH. Imagine if RO had spent the whole movie suggesting that Jane Erso was going to survive & have more of a story, and then ANH unceremoniously killed her off in the first scene for a joke. That's a bad move no matter how well the new script excuses it.

I have no interest whatsoever in Rian Johnson's Star Wars. I didn't much care for Looper - found it to be pompous and not worked out completely. Most of all I found it kinda boring. The same with TJL. I wasn't challenged. I didn't find it to be big and epic. I was bored by the story, the chase that was more like a crawl, by the obnoxious people and the total disregard with what came before. Sure, many of the problems was set up in the ANH remake called TFA, but even that movie's build-ups were not only deflated, they were destroyed.

They feel more like fan films to me.

Both Looper and TLJ feels like they think they are some form of clever great art, when they just feel like splatter on a canvas to me. It feels like snobs trying to sell me a crappy painting for a lot of money because it's supposed to be "high art". Of the two films I've seen of his, I'm not a fan of his style, so have no interest in seeing anything else he does. There are very few directors I just don't want to watch movies from, such as Michael Bay, Zack Snyder (mostly the DCEU), and Uwe Boll. I'm not sure I'll rate Rian Johnson as bad as those, but his movies just comes of as kind of pretentious to me.

Well said, though I think your being generous with the splatter on a canvas analogy, its more akin to splatter on a drop sheet. Its staggering that this YUGO driver, is still being allowed to operate one of cinemas Lamborghinis, apparently. I say apparantly as there is zero depth in the recent announcement and its nothing more, in my opinion, than a scuffed attempt to push the Blu Ray.

Last edited:
They put the Tesseract in Thor all the way back in 2011, carried through into Captain America and Avengers 1. You can see Thanos crushing it in the trailer for Infinity War, to remove the infinity stone that's within it. The other stones have also been littered throughout various other films. That's pretty far reaching as far as planning goes.

No theres more to it than that....How the Thor, Iron Man & Capn Trilogies fit into the Avengers movies....& all the new characters introduced with their own films

The comics are there as a guide for ideas, but the films tell those stories very differently ...Age of Ultron comic for example has two alternate Earths,.....Spidey, She-Hulk, Wolverine, The Fantastic Four, Luke Cage, Ant-Man etc are all involved

J

Going back and considering the content of the films in Marvel's various phases (Phase I: Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk, Cap: 1st Avenger, Thor, Avengers, Iron Man 2; Phase II: Iron Man 3, Cap: Winter Soldier, Thor: Dark World, Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: AoU), I think it's pretty safe to say that within each film, the stories aren't usually that closely connected to each other, or to the overall plot of the Phase finale (Avengers, and Avengers: AoU). There are things which are seeded in the initial films of each Phase that pay off in the final film, and the events of the initial films all are relevant to the final film, but the films are otherwise generally distinct from each other. In other words, if you watch Ant-Man having never seen ANY Marvel film before, the story stands as a single, contained film. You don't really need to see anything else to understand the rest of it. The longer the series runs, the more interconnected the films become and the more references they make to each other, but even so, the films overall do not require that you know what came before.

The Star Wars films are different. They are serial in nature. Each story does not merely build upon the previous story -- each story is "required reading" to know what's going on to inform the overall tale. The initial chapter of the OT stands fine on its own. The final chapter stands...ok-ish on its own. But the middle chapters? It's really difficult to watch those as standalone films, disconnected from the greater whole. They still work as films in the sense of telling a contained story, but that story is so obviously part of a larger tale that it becomes impossible to really appreciate the film as a separate animal. That's different from Marvel's phases.

My point in all of this is that Marvel's phases are constructed more like a mix of an outline and a desire to leverage individual IPs than as a single, coherent tale where each film is like a chapter in a book. When people say "But I want it to work like Marvel movies do," my answer is "No, you don't. And that's not how Star Wars has ever worked or works." People seem to believe that there's no plan whatsoever, because Rian was free to move in a direction other than what JJ heavily implied would happen. I think that there is a plan, but it's nowhere near as detailed as people think, and that the same is true for the Marvel films.

I think what people really want is what they perceive existing at Marvel as a kind of restriction on where you can take characters and what you can have them do within your films. In this regard, they likely think that Edgar Wright's take on Ant-Man proves that Marvel forces not only a "house style" but also tighter controls on directors -- which is something they think is absent in the new Star Wars films.

I think they're wrong.

I think that Disney absolutely is controlling the direction of Star Wars, it's just not taking that franchise in a direction that these people like. That's not to say "There's no plan" or "Directors are allowed to do whatever the hell they want." Clearly, that's not the case. Nor is it the case with the Marvel films. I would bet it's a very similar level of control. Towards this end, I think there are four good examples. On the one hand, Ant-Man and Solo. On the other, Thor: Ragnarok and The Last Jedi. The former films were taken away from their original directors and given to someone else who could handle the project the way the studio wanted. the latter required the directors to color within the lines, but otherwise let them go nuts with the crayon box. And the latter films are both VERY different from what came before. No argument there. I think what folks want from Star Wars (well, some folks, anyway) is for the studio to be saying "No, you have to use THIS color of red, and you have to be sure you use the following specific colors, too..." And that's not how either LFL or Marvel handles their properties. People can take issue with that, but I think the comparisons to Marvel being better than LFL have more to do with just people's baseline enjoyment of the Marvel films than with any overarching plan that Marvel uses and which LFL does not. They both have plans, although Marvel advertises the concept of its plan (as "Phases") more clearly as a marketing tool. They both also have house styles and such, but again, Marvel is more obvious about it and LFL isn't.

#8 was crafted carefully enough to avoid making any literal retcons. But it was still thematically way off.

I would find the difference more excusable if the step from #7 to #8 had been a difference in trilogies. Reboot, whatever. If there had been a number of years (real and/or fictional) between them.

But #7 literally walked into #8 the same way that Rogue One walked into ANH. Imagine if RO had spent the whole movie suggesting that Jane Erso was going to survive & have more of a story, and then ANH unceremoniously killed her off in the first scene for a joke. That's a bad move no matter how well the new script excuses it.

Again, I think this is more of an issue of a failure of the franchise to manage expectations. People expected essentially a continuation of JJ's approach to the film, which involves a bunch of BIIIIIIIIIG IMPORTANT MYSTERIES to hook your interest, which may or may not have any actual satisfying resolution to them, while otherwise basically just doing exactly what Lucas did, only louder, faster, and with quicker cuts and more action sequences. Case in point: Rey's parentage. Who here thinks that Rian Johnson saw that Rey was Obi-Wan Kenobi's granddaughter and said "That's dumb. I'm gonna make her a nobody instead." Anyone? Bueller? I think that the real answer is simply that Rey was always a nobody, but JJ wanted to hook you with a tantalizing sense that there might be some biiiiiiiig important story there, only he was never going to deliver on it. He'd probably have dragged it out through the next film, and only revealed it in the penultimate act of the final film that, in fact, her parents were drunken traders who ditched her for a case of hooch. (P.S. That still might not end up being the case, and what we may have is that for Rey's story in the second film, what was important was that she believed she was nobody. We'll see if that ever changes. I hope it doesn't.) Remember, JJ thinks that the sense of anticipation and speculation, the sense of mystery, is more important than the resolution. This is his "mystery box" approach to storytelling, and it's garbage. It almost never pays off effectively, because he's always more interested in the question than the answer, which is usually either stupidly obvious (in which case, why build it up as a big mystery?) or anticlimactic (in which case....why build it up as a big mystery?). I think what Rian likely did was decided to simply dispense with the mystery and get on to telling the actual story of the characters and their experiences, which is much more interesting than analyzing breadcrumbs that lead to a mostly-eaten stale chunk of bread.

@Solo4114 Yeah Dan and I would add the flexibility given to Rian would have bumped up against the story group had he well and turly left the reservation so to speak (with the understanding that some of you feel he did just that). LF is trying to maintain creative freedom and flexibility as it’s the only way to attract the kind of talent they want Making Star Wars. On the flip side the Solo and Ep. IX director shake ups clearly show there is a plan that supersedes any one persons vision. Bottom line regarding TLJ, they loved the script, JJ loved the script as an Executive Producer, an Rian delivered on time and on budget. That’s why this thread exists and why these new films from Rian are being made.

@Solo4114 Yeah Dan and I would add the flexibility given to Rian would have bumped up against the story group had he well and turly left the reservation so to speak (with the understanding that some of you feel he did just that). LF is trying to maintain creative freedom and flexibility as it’s the only way to attract the kind of talent they want Making Star Wars. On the flip side the Solo and Ep. IX director shake ups clearly show there is a plan that supersedes any one persons vision. Bottom line regarding TLJ, they loved the script, JJ loved the script as an Executive Producer, an Rian delivered on time and on budget. That’s why this thread exists and why these new films from Rian are being made.

Exactly. And they gave him a trilogy of his own because they like what he's doing. You don't give another movie to a director you think sucks or did your IP a disservice. You definitely don't give them three more movies. Anyone here think Josh Trank is on tap to direct any more superhero movies? If so, I have a lovely bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. And the trilogy deal came after TLJ's release, so don't try to tell me that Disney isn't paying attention to what he did. They like it, they think he's on the right track, and they think it's going to make Star Wars more popular and more of a moneymaker.

One other note: I think it's difficult to evaluate TLJ fully until we see Ep. IX and what happens with the story overall (or, perhaps, even beyond if they don't actually wrap it all up in a bow with Ep. IX, which I could very easily see being the case). It's entirely possible that Rian's trilogy is going to be Eps. X-XII. I wouldn't be surprised if it was, although I also wouldn't be surprised if it was a spinoff trilogy.

What many here see as a bug, Disney sees as a feature that is working exactly the way they want. You disagree? Ok. There'll be other Star Wars for you. But from my perspective, TLJ did the franchise a favor long-term by breaking the mold and showing that you don't just have to ape the past to do a Star Wars film.

@Solo4114 Rian’s new trilogy was actually announced in Nov. prior to TLJ’s release. Fan reaction didn’t play a role, it was a decision that speaks volumes of KK belief in Rian, a belief that continues today.

@Solo4114 Rian’s new trilogy was actually announced in Nov. prior to TLJ’s release. Fan reaction didn’t play a role, it was a decision that speaks volumes of KK belief in Rian, a belief that continues today.

I stand corrected. Although I assume that Disney had actually watched the finished or nearly finished product by that point and knew what they were getting.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back