Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe)

Cmon man you dont really remember stuff from when you were 3 do you? Especially from a movie? :rolleyes

I remember a lot of stuff from when I was 3. I can't tell you exactly what I was thinking about ESB, just that the Dagobah part was boring. I mean at the least you should remember toys you had or where you lived, something.

This is amazing, I lived in the same house till I had just turned four and I can remember everything about living there, and I mean everything.
The list would be as long but not as traumatic as some here.
I really feel for you as my memories from then are as vivid as any I have gotten since.

Back to the actual topic, there must have been something Rian touches upon in Last Jedi that inspired him to possibly pitch this new trilogy idea to Lucasfilm. I don’t think it will delve into the post ROTJ era or the Old Republic, those have been vetted too heavily to deliver on the promise of all new characters in a corner of the galaxy never explored by SW lore. Perhaps something to do with this tree and books will take us all the way back to the founding of the Jedi Order.

Bryancd Leave it to Bryan to be a wet blanket/party pooper. There isnt really that much else to say regarding the thread topic, god forbid if we talk about something else for a second. :rolleyes

Last edited by a moderator:
@Bryancd Leave it to Bryan to be a wet blanket/party pooper. There isnt really that much else to say regarding the thread topic, god forbid if we talk about something else for a second. :rolleyes

No, I think it’s worth while to speculate what motivated this decision from the perspective of both parties. Did Rian go to KK with a concept or did the story group come up with the idea and pitched it to Rian? Also, how does this impact the Saga films? Daisy, John, Isaac are a perfect age to use for more films over the next decade and are well established. Will Rian’s trilogy delay new Saga films or will they be made concurrently? Lots to discuss.

Back to the actual topic, there must have been something Rian touches upon in Last Jedi that inspired him to possibly pitch this new trilogy idea to Lucasfilm. I don’t think it will delve into the post ROTJ era or the Old Republic, those have been vetted too heavily to deliver on the promise of all new characters in a corner of the galaxy never explored by SW lore. Perhaps something to do with this tree and books will take us all the way back to the founding of the Jedi Order.

Could be. It is pretty early to speculate but I keep coming back to the lines from the first TLJ trailer:

Luke: Reach out... what do you see?

Rey: Light. Darkness. A balance.

Luke (pause): It's so much bigger.

Maybe whatever Luke discovers in TLJ points to a direction Johnson has in mind for the new movies.

The First Jedi.

Which I wouldn't hate.

But I'd personally like to see not another prequel. I'd even hazard to say I'd like to see more Star Wars with less Jedi/force malarky.

UNLESS, he promises me that Braveheart style 1000s of fighters style lightsaber battle I've wanted to see since I was 8, and assumed the PT would have until that damn "only two" line."

I wonder if there are no ideas plot wise but just got golden handcuffs after showing the final cut of TLJ
He finished early, don't think it even had pickups did it? He must be a very very popular guy at Disney if it's also actually a good film....

I wonder if there are no ideas plot wise but just got golden handcuffs after showing the final cut of TLJ
He finished early, don't think it even had pickups did it? He must be a very very popular guy at Disney if it's also actually a good film....

Well you don’t put golden handcuffs on a guy who made a poor product even if he comes in on time and under budget.

Well you don’t put golden handcuffs on a guy who made a poor product even if he comes in on time and under budget.
Like Bryancd ,I think Rian came up with something original enough that Lucasfilm leapt on it. And I would guess thats totally the only reason he's passed on doing IX. He just could not wait to get started on his vision, which will probably shoot straight after.

Remember he is a huge fan of Star Wars and like the rest of us he has probably been mulling around decades of ideas about what he would like to see within that universe, who hasn't? Writing VIII probably solidified those concepts, but he probably felt they wouldn't work as well yet if they were directly connected to Skywalker timelines.

Remember there is this massive "unknown region" that has appeared in the SW galaxy and that leaves the potential for the evolution of many ,many new storylines and characters. Everybody must have dreamed about doing something like this, but freeing it from the old Empire/ New Order/ Jedi/ Sith staples seems the best way to go so that the stories after his trilogy link with the next series.

Personally I am now fairly desparate to know just exactly what he has done with VIII. Happily all the important story elements don't really seem to have leaked at all, though there is a ton of speculation . And the trailer "spoilers" seem to have been kept well under control ,you can guess at a couple of likely outcomes but really the bulk of the mysteries are really well hidden so far. I can usually guess with a reasonable degree of accuracy from what is revealed in the run up but this time I'm pretty much in the dark about most of it.

But Lucasfilm and Disney would NEVER have dared to make the announcement about Rians new trilogy if they were not HUGELY confident "The Last Jedi" was going to be a massive hit with the bulk of the SW audience.

The First Jedi.
Love it!

I'd even hazard to say I'd like to see more Star Wars with less Jedi/force malarky.
GASP! Yoda voice: "Shame you will have brought upon yourself with words like these. A master custom lightsaber builder you cannot be without the Force as your ally!" ;)

I think we got a glimpse of the 1000s of Jedi dueling with lightsabers in Attack Of The Clones when Mace Windu and company came in to rescue Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Padme. And you're correct, seeing them actually dueling against Sith or the like instead of against blaster bolts would be EPIC! They'd wear the "AAHHH!" audio track out in a battle like that for sure!!!

Yeah, I want lightsaber on lightsaber! I know it's in some of the KOTOR games, but meh!

There's so many great classic myths and tropes rolled into Star Wars, I'd love to see more of them explored than just the magical warrior aspect. Rogue One managed to do it I think-- the Force was certainly felt and spoken of, but there were no Jedi. (unless you count Jyn's mother in early drafts).

The First Jedi.

Which I wouldn't hate.

But I'd personally like to see not another prequel. I'd even hazard to say I'd like to see more Star Wars with less Jedi/force malarky.

UNLESS, he promises me that Braveheart style 1000s of fighters style lightsaber battle I've wanted to see since I was 8, and assumed the PT would have until that damn "only two" line."

That would be the KOTOR era. They still had armies of Jedi and Sith. If you go all the way back to the first Jedi, unless they change everything, they were using swords. That's Legends stuff anyway.

I actually have zero problem with more Prequel era stories, but I don't think we'll see it because of all the whiners. That's pretty much locked up any chance, post Lucas, to even get any games or books in that era.

Immediately made me think of the fan trailer made right after Hayden Christiansen was announced to play Anakin in Episode II, using a buncha footage from various other films. Check out 0:48... ;)

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall this, and compared to todays fan trailers it is weak— but there are things implied here I wanted bad. This thing is alwo better than the entirety of AOTC.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back