Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe)

#1 is Empire yes?
For me too, for sure.

My point was even if The Wook had chosen Star Wars it proves there is always a scale.

Funnily an offshoot of all of your answers readily shows, another (new at the time) director can nail the spirit of Star Wars.

I have an open mind in regard to Rian :)

Anything is better than JJ ( ducks )

Last edited by a moderator:
ESB is probably my favorite, but as a kid I wouldn't say it's perfect. The whole Dagobah sequence, when I was 3 in 1980, was boring to me because I didn't fully understand it. I got that Yoda was training Luke, but I didn't really understand the Vader part and it kind of slowed the movie. As an adult, it works.
Cmon man you dont really remember stuff from when you were 3 do you? Especially from a movie? :rolleyes

I have very vivid memories from when I was 3.
But are you sure they are from when you were 3 though? I thought it was scientifically proven that you wouldnt remember stuff, after being 30 years old, from prior to the age of 4-5. Unless youre younger. I remember stuff from when I was 5, but no way 3. Damn.

What do you remember from 3 years old?

But are you sure they are from when you were 3 though? I thought it was scientifically proven that you wouldnt remember stuff, after being 30 years old, from prior to the age of 4-5. Unless youre younger. I remember stuff from when I was 5, but no way 3. Damn.

I know I was 3 because that's how old I was when we lived in the house I have memories of.
I remember letting a squirrel in the house, I remember when my sister put her arm through the storm door, I remember calling our neighbor "fatso",
I remember throwing my new toy airplane down the basement stairs to see if it would fly, I remember I had a white rocking horse, I remember drawing with a red crayon between all the bricks around our fireplace, I remember my Mom taking me to see Superman and Batman serials at the local theater, I remember my bedroom was upstairs at the front of the house and I used to stand at my window and watch the big kids walk home from school, I remember when our dog ran away, I remember sitting in my Mom's sewing room listening to the radio, I remember when my father threw me across the living room into the wall, I remember him laughing when my little sister fell out of a boat at the park and I thought she was going to drown, and I remember yelling at him to stop scaring my Mom when he was chasing her around the house with a knife. Those are just some of my memories of that house - I have many, many more.

Then my Mom left my father and we moved in with her parents and lived in the basement, also when I was 3, and I remember getting chicken pox and being all wrapped up in my Grandfather's wool army blanket and how itchy it was, and I slept on the black leather couch that is now in my living room. It was there that my Mom turned me on to television and we would spend most of our days watching The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and Star Trek. I remember I had a Mr. Spock doll with a cloth shirt, and I remember watching TV with my Grandfather - he died when I was three. His favorite shows were Perry Mason and Iron Sides and Mission Impossible. I got my first bee sting at that house, and my first wheel-barrow ride, and that's where my Mom taught me to make angels in the snow. And many, many more memories.

Like I said - very vivid memories from when I was 3.
I also remember watching the evacuation of Saigon on the news. That was 1975. I was 3.

Those sound like some pretty traumatic memories, so it's no surprise that they'd stick with you. I'm sorry it was so rough.

I too have a few memories from back then, and I'm coming to the end of 40. Directly related to the topic, one of my earlier memories was seeing Empire in the theater when I was three.
Not all of it, or much of the context, mind you. But some of the imagery was burned into my brain, and it was always weird that it looked wrong when I watched ESB on tape.
It wasn't until the letterboxed VHS set came out that I realized that I was remembering the widescreen version.
Of course, I guess the question is whether I still remember seeing ESB in theaters when I was 3? Or do I remember remembering that when I was a teen? Is there a difference?

Axlotl Damn man sorry that a lot of those were tough, no wonder you remember them. I guess Im in the minority here. Great, maybe there is something wrong with my brain! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I was 3 because that's how old I was when we lived in the house I have memories of.
I remember letting a squirrel in the house, I remember when my sister put her arm through the storm door, I remember calling our neighbor "fatso",
I remember throwing my new toy airplane down the basement stairs to see if it would fly, I remember I had a white rocking horse, I remember drawing with a red crayon between all the bricks around our fireplace, I remember my Mom taking me to see Superman and Batman serials at the local theater, I remember my bedroom was upstairs at the front of the house and I used to stand at my window and watch the big kids walk home from school, I remember when our dog ran away, I remember sitting in my Mom's sewing room listening to the radio, I remember when my father threw me across the living room into the wall, I remember him laughing when my little sister fell out of a boat at the park and I thought she was going to drown, and I remember yelling at him to stop scaring my Mom when he was chasing her around the house with a knife. Those are just some of my memories of that house - I have many, many more.

Then my Mom left my father and we moved in with her parents and lived in the basement, also when I was 3, and I remember getting chicken pox and being all wrapped up in my Grandfather's wool army blanket and how itchy it was, and I slept on the black leather couch that is now in my living room. It was there that my Mom turned me on to television and we would spend most of our days watching The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and Star Trek. I remember I had a Mr. Spock doll with a cloth shirt, and I remember watching TV with my Grandfather - he died when I was three. His favorite shows were Perry Mason and Iron Sides and Mission Impossible. I got my first bee sting at that house, and my first wheel-barrow ride, and that's where my Mom taught me to make angels in the snow. And many, many more memories.

Like I said - very vivid memories from when I was 3.
I also remember watching the evacuation of Saigon on the news. That was 1975. I was 3.

Yeah, that's one hell of a list and considering certain parts of it I'm glad you're still with us.

Star Trek TOS and MASH are some of my earliest pop culture memories, but I was probably around 4 or 5 when I started watching those (I'm 49, practically a geezer like Bryan). Then Star Wars took control of my brain in 1977 and the last 40 years have been a blur!

Really? I have memories going back to one year old and extremely vivid memories from 2 onwards. I remember my first birthday party. It's fragmented, but I definitely remember it. From 2 and 3 I remember being taken to the movies in my pajamas to see Bambi and The Gnome Mobile as a double feature. Getting a fever half way through and leaving early. I remember my mother's pregnancy with my sister, her birth. Going to the hospital. I can tell you what she was wearing when we visited. I've always remembered a great deal. I'm in my 40s, and those memories have never faded. That's interesting.

@Axlotl Damn man sorry that a lot of those were tough, no wonder you remember them. I guess Im in the minority here. Great, maybe there is something wrong with my brain! :(

Yah, I was a pretty screwed up kid for a very long time because of my father. Lots of anger. Lots and lots of anger.
One of the reasons I was never in a hurry to get married or have kids - I was afraid I'd be just like him.
I'm not, but it was a long, hard road to get here.
Remember I told you about my insanely violent older sister? It was the violence in our household at such an early age that made her that way.
She saw a lot more than I did, and suffered a lot more abuse herself. I guess it broke her brain, or something in her psyche.
My blood still boils when I see people mistreating women and children.

Yah, I was a pretty screwed up kid for a very long time because of my father. Lots of anger. Lots and lots of anger.
One of the reasons I was never in a hurry to get married or have kids - I was afraid I'd be just like him.
I'm not, but it was a long, hard road to get here.
Remember I told you about my insanely violent older sister? It was the violence in our household at such an early age that made her that way.
She saw a lot more than I did, and suffered a lot more abuse herself. I guess it broke her brain, or something in her psyche.
My blood still boils when I see people mistreating women and children.
Yes, I definitely remember you talking about that. Its funny how other peoples experience impacts us in different ways. My dad left at a very young age, and here I thought I had it bad, but he was never abusive. Im sorry that you had to deal with that though. My blood boils when I see that too.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back