Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Subscribe
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 15, 2017, 12:43 PM - Re: Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe) #151

Bryancd said: View Post
    Wait until your staring down the barrel of 50...
    I'm closing on 46.
    From
    San Diego
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 15, 2017, 1:37 PM - Re: Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe) #152

Axlotl said: View Post
    I have very vivid memories from when I was 3.
    But are you sure they are from when you were 3 though? I thought it was scientifically proven that you wouldnt remember stuff, after being 30 years old, from prior to the age of 4-5. Unless youre younger. I remember stuff from when I was 5, but no way 3. Damn.

What do you remember from 3 years old?
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 15, 2017, 2:24 PM - Re: Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe) #153

Snikt said: View Post
    But are you sure they are from when you were 3 though? I thought it was scientifically proven that you wouldnt remember stuff, after being 30 years old, from prior to the age of 4-5. Unless youre younger. I remember stuff from when I was 5, but no way 3. Damn.

I know I was 3 because that's how old I was when we lived in the house I have memories of.
    I remember letting a squirrel in the house, I remember when my sister put her arm through the storm door, I remember calling our neighbor "fatso",
    I remember throwing my new toy airplane down the basement stairs to see if it would fly, I remember I had a white rocking horse, I remember drawing with a red crayon between all the bricks around our fireplace, I remember my Mom taking me to see Superman and Batman serials at the local theater, I remember my bedroom was upstairs at the front of the house and I used to stand at my window and watch the big kids walk home from school, I remember when our dog ran away, I remember sitting in my Mom's sewing room listening to the radio, I remember when my father threw me across the living room into the wall, I remember him laughing when my little sister fell out of a boat at the park and I thought she was going to drown, and I remember yelling at him to stop scaring my Mom when he was chasing her around the house with a knife. Those are just some of my memories of that house - I have many, many more.

Then my Mom left my father and we moved in with her parents and lived in the basement, also when I was 3, and I remember getting chicken pox and being all wrapped up in my Grandfather's wool army blanket and how itchy it was, and I slept on the black leather couch that is now in my living room. It was there that my Mom turned me on to television and we would spend most of our days watching The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and Star Trek. I remember I had a Mr. Spock doll with a cloth shirt, and I remember watching TV with my Grandfather - he died when I was three. His favorite shows were Perry Mason and Iron Sides and Mission Impossible. I got my first bee sting at that house, and my first wheel-barrow ride, and that's where my Mom taught me to make angels in the snow. And many, many more memories.

Like I said - very vivid memories from when I was 3.
    I also remember watching the evacuation of Saigon on the news. That was 1975. I was 3.
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 15, 2017, 2:39 PM - Re: Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe) #154

I also remember watching the evacuation of Saigon on the news. That was 1975. I was 3.
    I remember that..but I was 7.
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 15, 2017, 2:47 PM - Re: Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe) #155

Those sound like some pretty traumatic memories, so it's no surprise that they'd stick with you. I'm sorry it was so rough.

I too have a few memories from back then, and I'm coming to the end of 40. Directly related to the topic, one of my earlier memories was seeing Empire in the theater when I was three.
    Not all of it, or much of the context, mind you. But some of the imagery was burned into my brain, and it was always weird that it looked wrong when I watched ESB on tape.
    It wasn't until the letterboxed VHS set came out that I realized that I was remembering the widescreen version.
    Of course, I guess the question is whether I still remember seeing ESB in theaters when I was 3? Or do I remember remembering that when I was a teen? Is there a difference?
    From
    San Diego
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 15, 2017, 2:50 PM - Re: Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe) #156

@Axlotl Damn man sorry that a lot of those were tough, no wonder you remember them. I guess Im in the minority here. Great, maybe there is something wrong with my brain!
  7. RPF Premium Member Dem Bones's Avatar
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 15, 2017, 3:04 PM - Re: Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe) #157

I know I was 3 because that's how old I was when we lived in the house I have memories of.
    I remember letting a squirrel in the house, I remember when my sister put her arm through the storm door, I remember calling our neighbor "fatso",
    I remember throwing my new toy airplane down the basement stairs to see if it would fly, I remember I had a white rocking horse, I remember drawing with a red crayon between all the bricks around our fireplace, I remember my Mom taking me to see Superman and Batman serials at the local theater, I remember my bedroom was upstairs at the front of the house and I used to stand at my window and watch the big kids walk home from school, I remember when our dog ran away, I remember sitting in my Mom's sewing room listening to the radio, I remember when my father threw me across the living room into the wall, I remember him laughing when my little sister fell out of a boat at the park and I thought she was going to drown, and I remember yelling at him to stop scaring my Mom when he was chasing her around the house with a knife. Those are just some of my memories of that house - I have many, many more.

Then my Mom left my father and we moved in with her parents and lived in the basement, also when I was 3, and I remember getting chicken pox and being all wrapped up in my Grandfather's wool army blanket and how itchy it was, and I slept on the black leather couch that is now in my living room. It was there that my Mom turned me on to television and we would spend most of our days watching The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and Star Trek. I remember I had a Mr. Spock doll with a cloth shirt, and I remember watching TV with my Grandfather - he died when I was three. His favorite shows were Perry Mason and Iron Sides and Mission Impossible. I got my first bee sting at that house, and my first wheel-barrow ride, and that's where my Mom taught me to make angels in the snow. And many, many more memories.

Like I said - very vivid memories from when I was 3.

Yeah, that's one hell of a list and considering certain parts of it I'm glad you're still with us.

Star Trek TOS and MASH are some of my earliest pop culture memories, but I was probably around 4 or 5 when I started watching those (I'm 49, practically a geezer like Bryan). Then Star Wars took control of my brain in 1977 and the last 40 years have been a blur!
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 15, 2017, 3:07 PM - Re: Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe) #158

Really? I have memories going back to one year old and extremely vivid memories from 2 onwards. I remember my first birthday party. It's fragmented, but I definitely remember it. From 2 and 3 I remember being taken to the movies in my pajamas to see Bambi and The Gnome Mobile as a double feature. Getting a fever half way through and leaving early. I remember my mother's pregnancy with my sister, her birth. Going to the hospital. I can tell you what she was wearing when we visited. I've always remembered a great deal. I'm in my 40s, and those memories have never faded. That's interesting.
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 15, 2017, 3:08 PM - Re: Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe) #159

@Axlotl Damn man sorry that a lot of those were tough, no wonder you remember them. I guess Im in the minority here. Great, maybe there is something wrong with my brain!
    Yah, I was a pretty screwed up kid for a very long time because of my father. Lots of anger. Lots and lots of anger.
    One of the reasons I was never in a hurry to get married or have kids - I was afraid I'd be just like him.
    I'm not, but it was a long, hard road to get here.
    Remember I told you about my insanely violent older sister? It was the violence in our household at such an early age that made her that way.
    She saw a lot more than I did, and suffered a lot more abuse herself. I guess it broke her brain, or something in her psyche.
    My blood still boils when I see people mistreating women and children.
    From
    San Diego
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 15, 2017, 3:21 PM - Re: Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe) #160

Yah, I was a pretty screwed up kid for a very long time because of my father. Lots of anger. Lots and lots of anger.
    One of the reasons I was never in a hurry to get married or have kids - I was afraid I'd be just like him.
    I'm not, but it was a long, hard road to get here.
    Remember I told you about my insanely violent older sister? It was the violence in our household at such an early age that made her that way.
    She saw a lot more than I did, and suffered a lot more abuse herself. I guess it broke her brain, or something in her psyche.
    My blood still boils when I see people mistreating women and children.
    Yes, I definitely remember you talking about that. Its funny how other peoples experience impacts us in different ways. My dad left at a very young age, and here I thought I had it bad, but he was never abusive. Im sorry that you had to deal with that though. My blood boils when I see that too.
    From
    Miamisburg, OH (near Dayton)
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 15, 2017, 8:51 PM - Re: Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe) #161

Cmon man you dont really remember stuff from when you were 3 do you? Especially from a movie?
    I remember a lot of stuff from when I was 3. I can't tell you exactly what I was thinking about ESB, just that the Dagobah part was boring. I mean at the least you should remember toys you had or where you lived, something.
    From
    Portchester UK
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 4:54 AM - Re: Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe) #162

This is amazing, I lived in the same house till I had just turned four and I can remember everything about living there, and I mean everything.
    The list would be as long but not as traumatic as some here.
    I really feel for you as my memories from then are as vivid as any I have gotten since.
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 10:14 AM - Re: Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe) #163

Back to the actual topic, there must have been something Rian touches upon in Last Jedi that inspired him to possibly pitch this new trilogy idea to Lucasfilm. I don’t think it will delve into the post ROTJ era or the Old Republic, those have been vetted too heavily to deliver on the promise of all new characters in a corner of the galaxy never explored by SW lore. Perhaps something to do with this tree and books will take us all the way back to the founding of the Jedi Order.
    From
    San Diego
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 12:18 PM - Re: Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe) #164

@Bryancd Leave it to Bryan to be a wet blanket/party pooper. There isnt really that much else to say regarding the thread topic, god forbid if we talk about something else for a second.
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 12:26 PM - Re: Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe) #165

@Bryancd Leave it to Bryan to be a wet blanket/party pooper. There isnt really that much else to say regarding the thread topic, god forbid if we talk about something else for a second.
    No, I think it’s worth while to speculate what motivated this decision from the perspective of both parties. Did Rian go to KK with a concept or did the story group come up with the idea and pitched it to Rian? Also, how does this impact the Saga films? Daisy, John, Isaac are a perfect age to use for more films over the next decade and are well established. Will Rian’s trilogy delay new Saga films or will they be made concurrently? Lots to discuss.
    From
    United Kingdom
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 12:45 PM - Re: Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe) #166

Whoever had the idea, it was obviously a more enticing prospect than episode IX.
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 12:50 PM - Re: Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe) #167

Greenie said: View Post
    Whoever had the idea, it was obviously a more enticing prospect than episode IX.
    But that just it, the announcement in no way precludes them making Ep.X (I assume that’s what you meant as IX is already in the works).
    From
    United Kingdom
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 1:26 PM - Re: Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe) #168

No, I mean he wrote VIII but turned then down the chance to take that story to its conclusion with IX.
  19. RPF Premium Member Dem Bones's Avatar
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 1:29 PM - Re: Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe) #169

Back to the actual topic, there must have been something Rian touches upon in Last Jedi that inspired him to possibly pitch this new trilogy idea to Lucasfilm. I don’t think it will delve into the post ROTJ era or the Old Republic, those have been vetted too heavily to deliver on the promise of all new characters in a corner of the galaxy never explored by SW lore. Perhaps something to do with this tree and books will take us all the way back to the founding of the Jedi Order.
    Could be. It is pretty early to speculate but I keep coming back to the lines from the first TLJ trailer:

Luke: Reach out... what do you see?

Rey: Light. Darkness. A balance.

Luke (pause): It's so much bigger.

Maybe whatever Luke discovers in TLJ points to a direction Johnson has in mind for the new movies.
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 1:36 PM - Re: Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe) #170

Greenie said: View Post
    No, I mean he wrote VIII but turned then down the chance to take that story to its conclusion with IX.
    It’s possible he may of already committed to this trilogy deal prior to Treverrow being fired.
    From
    Los Angeles
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 2:16 PM - Re: Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe) #171

The First Jedi.

Which I wouldn't hate.

But I'd personally like to see not another prequel. I'd even hazard to say I'd like to see more Star Wars with less Jedi/force malarky.

UNLESS, he promises me that Braveheart style 1000s of fighters style lightsaber battle I've wanted to see since I was 8, and assumed the PT would have until that damn "only two" line."
    From
    Portchester UK
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 2:43 PM - Re: Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe) #172

I wonder if there are no ideas plot wise but just got golden handcuffs after showing the final cut of TLJ
    He finished early, don't think it even had pickups did it? He must be a very very popular guy at Disney if it's also actually a good film....
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 4:17 PM - Re: Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe) #173

spacebob said: View Post
    I wonder if there are no ideas plot wise but just got golden handcuffs after showing the final cut of TLJ
    He finished early, don't think it even had pickups did it? He must be a very very popular guy at Disney if it's also actually a good film....
    Well you don’t put golden handcuffs on a guy who made a poor product even if he comes in on time and under budget.
  24. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Northern England,UK
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 5:04 PM - Re: Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe) #174

Well you donít put golden handcuffs on a guy who made a poor product even if he comes in on time and under budget.
    Like Bryancd ,I think Rian came up with something original enough that Lucasfilm leapt on it. And I would guess thats totally the only reason he's passed on doing IX. He just could not wait to get started on his vision, which will probably shoot straight after.

Remember he is a huge fan of Star Wars and like the rest of us he has probably been mulling around decades of ideas about what he would like to see within that universe, who hasn't? Writing VIII probably solidified those concepts, but he probably felt they wouldn't work as well yet if they were directly connected to Skywalker timelines.

Remember there is this massive "unknown region" that has appeared in the SW galaxy and that leaves the potential for the evolution of many ,many new storylines and characters. Everybody must have dreamed about doing something like this, but freeing it from the old Empire/ New Order/ Jedi/ Sith staples seems the best way to go so that the stories after his trilogy link with the next series.

Personally I am now fairly desparate to know just exactly what he has done with VIII. Happily all the important story elements don't really seem to have leaked at all, though there is a ton of speculation . And the trailer "spoilers" seem to have been kept well under control ,you can guess at a couple of likely outcomes but really the bulk of the mysteries are really well hidden so far. I can usually guess with a reasonable degree of accuracy from what is revealed in the run up but this time I'm pretty much in the dark about most of it.

But Lucasfilm and Disney would NEVER have dared to make the announcement about Rians new trilogy if they were not HUGELY confident "The Last Jedi" was going to be a massive hit with the bulk of the SW audience.
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 5:11 PM - Re: Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe) #175

CutThumb said: View Post
    But Lucasfilm and Disney would NEVER have dared to make the announcement about Rians new trilogy if they were not HUGELY confident "The Last Jedi" was going to be a massive hit with the bulk of the SW audience.
    You got that right!