Rank the MCU

SethS

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Because I'm a nerd and have to do things like this-- now that a new MCU movie has come out, I need to adjust my overall rankings!

My list, from BESTEST to WORSTER to WORSTEST

1. Captain America: Civil War
2. Captain America: Winter Soldier
3. Iron Man
4. Spider-Man: Homecoming
5. Thor: Ragnarok
6. Guardians of the Galaxy

7. Avengers
8. Ant-Man
9. Captain America: First Avenger
10. Incredible Hulk
11. Doctor Strange

12. Thor
13. Iron Man 3
14. Thor: Dark World

15. Age of Ultron
16. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
17. Iron Man 2

The top six are great action adventure superhero films. 7-11 are good, but don't hit max potential. 12-14 are the weaker entries that I've only seen once for completion sake, but didn't like them enough to watch again. Pretty indifferent about them. 15-17 are actively BAD movies with serious flaws.

Funny how some of these movies, like Avengers, ranked higher for me at some point, but either didn't hold up as well, or got simply outclassed. Also interesting some of the lesser decent movies are still essential connective tissue to the other movies. Like, you can't really have Civil War without Age of Ultron setting it up.

Clearly, despite thinking Thor is cool, I've never liked his standalone films much until Ragnarok turned out to be one of the best entries in the MCU.

I'm feeling like Black Panther may break the top five based on what we've seen thus far.

Ant-Man was a surprise for me, so if they hit magic again with Ant-Man and The Wasp I'll be thrilled.

Captain Marvel is a personal favorite. Outside of The X-Men and Iron Man she's probably my favorite Marvel character. I think Larson is a great pick, but I'm not sure how I feel about a retconned 90s origin story for her.

Obviously, Infinity War has the potential to take the top slot given that it's all the pieces that made Civil War great AND MORE.

Apologies if this thread exists, I did a rough search and didn't see it.

I’ve looked over your list and Mmmmmmmm
1-6 GOTG, Iron Man, Ant Man, Thor, Avengers, Captain America first avenger.
7-12 Dr Strange, GOTG 2, Iron Man 2, Captain America winter soldier, Captain America Civil war, Age of ultron
13-16 Thor Dark World, Iron Man 3, Spider Man homecoming, Incredible.Hulk,

ive not seen Thor Ragnarok as yet so my list could change, I’ve only seen spider man once (as yet) but the more times I watch it, then it could change position.
i really do like the MCU so it was very difficult to place them, Hulk was a very easy placement,
I’ve seen most of these movies many times and the more I watch them the more I see, soooo !!! really my list would probably change every couple of months, and when new MCU movies are released my head gets more jangled

But is Deadpool not going to be in this category ? He is a marvel character, and he would go straight to the top of the list,
X Men ? Would be bottom ( easy watch ) and got a little silly when days of future past arrived I got bored with them.

2. Iron Man
3.Captain America: Winter Soldier
5. Thor: Ragnarok

6. Avengers
7. Guardians of the Galaxy
8. Doctor Strange
9. Ant-Man
10. Guardians of the Galaxy 2

11. Captain America: First Avenger
12. Thor
13. Iron Man 2
15. Age of Ultron

16. Iron Man 3
17. Incredible Hulk

My list is pretty close with just a few changes. I definitely agree, from what we've seen of Black Panther it could very well be in the top five, no doubt, and I'm sure Infinity War will be.

1. Homecoming/GotG Vol. 2
2. GotG Vol. 2/Homecoming
3. Civil War
4. Doctor Strange
5. Age of Ultron
6. The Winter Soldier
7. Iron Man
8. The Avengers
9. Ragnarok
10. GotG Vol. 1
11. Ant-Man
12. Iron Man 3
13. The First Avenger
14. Iron Man 2
15. The Incredible Hulk
16. The Dark World
17. Thor

My list changes from time to time, but what's consistent so far are the top five. It's a tie between Homecoming and GotG Vol. 2. Homecoming was definitely the best Spider-Man movie yet, and I also think that it's the best MCU film that perfectly balanced comedy and the dark moments in the most realistic way. Not to mention introducing one of the best MCU villains. GotG Vol 2 caught me by surprise because I liked the first movie but didn't love it. I went in the theater with no expectations, and I got out happy, emotional, and very much entertained.

The Thor movies were always the weakest for me, though they're still okay movies, they could have been better. Even Ragnarok. I didn't like it as much as other people did but I do think that it's way better than the first two installments.

1. Homecoming
2. GotG
3. GotG Vol.2/Ant-Man
4. GotG Vol.2/Ant-Man
5. Civil War
6. Iron Man
7. The First Avenger
8. Doctor Strange
9. Iron Man 3
10. The Avengers
11. The Winter Soldier
12. Iron Man 2
13. The Dark World
14. Thor
15. Age of Ultron

I have yet to see Ragnarok and The Incredible Hulk

But is Deadpool not going to be in this category ? He is a marvel character, and he would go straight to the top of the list,
X Men ? Would be bottom ( easy watch ) and got a little silly when days of future past arrived I got bored with them.

I was just talking about the MCU proper, not all Marvel character movies

1. Avengers
2. Captain America: The First Avenger
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4. Iron Man
5. Guardians Vol1
6. Thor
7. Iron Man 3
8. Age of Ultron
9. Civil War
10. Thor: Ragnarok
11. Incredible Hulk
12. Spiderman Homecoming
13. Iron Man 2
14. Guardians Vol2
15. Ant Man
16. Dr Strange
17. Thor 2

More difficult than I thought to place them. Plenty of them share the exact same level of enjoyment.

Unfortunately the more recent offerings have yet to transcend some of the earlier stuff - not even close in some ways (for me)

1. Cap 2: TWS
2. Iron Man
3. Avengers
4. Iron Man Three
5. GoTG vol. 2
6. Civil War
7. GoTG vol. 1
8. Cap 1
9. Ant Man
10. Homecoming
11. Thor
12. Dr. Strange
13. Iron Man 2
14. Thor 2
15. Incredible Hulk
16. Age of Ultron

Haven't seen Ragnarok yet...

1. A. Winter Soldier
1. B. Civil War
3. GotG
4. Ant-Man
5. Spider-man: Homecoming
6. GotG Vol 2
7. Iron Man
8. Dr Strange
9. First Avenger
10. The Avengers
11. Iron Man 3
12. Iron Man 2
13. Age of Ultron
14. Thor
15. Incredible Hilk
16. Dark World

I haven't seen Ragnarok yet, so my list could easily end up being adjusted.

My top five could easily be rearranged depending on what kind of mood I'm in. If I'm in the mood for something that's got a lot of humor in it, clearly Winter Soldier and Civil War aren't going to be my go-to films. All five of those top ones, to me, are infinitely rewatchable.

Last edited:
1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2. Spider-Man: Homecoming
3. Ant-Man
4. Iron Man
5. Captain America: Civil War
6. Avengers
7. Iron Man 3
8. Iron Man 2
9. Captain America: The First Avenger
10. Thor: Ragnarok
11. Dr. Strange
12. Thor
13. Incredible Hulk
14. Avengers: Age of Ultron
15. Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2
16. Thor: Dark World
17. Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 1

[strike]I haven't seen Thor Ragnarok yet but[/strike] my list as it currently is from most-least enjoyed...

Infinity War
Civil War
Black Panther
The Winter Soldier
Spider Man Homecoming
GOTG 1
Iron Man

The First Avenger
Thor Ragnarok
Dr Strange
Thor
Avengers
Ant Man

GOTG Vol 2
Age of Ultron
Iron Man 2
Thor The Dark World
Iron Man 3

Incredible Hulk

In my opinion, the first five on my list are undeniably great (or good) for numerous reasons, which surprised me since I didn't hold GOTG Vol 1 in high regard when I first saw it at the cinema. It took a while to grow on me. For the next five, I have biases in favor of the phase 1 movies. I understand many aren't fans of Kenneth Branagh's Shakesperean Thor, but I liked it. As for the third set – with the exception of GOTG Vol 2, I don't care for any of those movies. I thought and still think they suck and/or are flawed; weak at best. And Incredible Hulk I have too many biases against. Not against Hulk, just everything else about it.

I have to say that Thor Ragnarok, despite the positive things I've heard about it, I'm still not excited to see it. Black Panther, however...it looks fun.

Updated. Haven't seen Ant Man & The Wasp.

Last edited:
Captain America: Civil War
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Captain America: First Avenger
Ant-Man
Iron Man 2
Guardians of the Galaxy
Doctor Strange
Avengers
Iron Man
Age of Ultron
Thor: Dark World
Thor: Ragnarok
Incredible Hulk
Thor
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Iron Man 3

Mine works out like this -

Level 1
Was interested enough to go see it in theaters -and was Happy I did

2. Iron Man
3.Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Level 2 - Did not see it in theaters waited till DVD/Netflix in order of enjoyment

6. Avengers
7. Iron Man 2
8. Doctor Strange
9. Captain America: Winter Soldier
10. Thor
11. Captain America: First Avenger

Level 3 -Had no drive to see it in theaters or once it was released and still have not seen them.

12. Iron Man 3
13. Ant-Man
15. Age of Ultron
16. Incredible Hulk

Level 4 Have not seen but want to in theaters

17. Thor: Ragnarok
18. Black Panther
19. Avengers: Infinity War

Level 5 - undecided but still interested

20: Captain Marvel
21: Spiderman sequel

Level 6 Still don't care about probably never will

22. Ant-Man and the Wasp

I must say, I don't get why Civil War is so high on most people's list. It's far from bad of course, but I found it a bit disappointing after Winter Soldier, the best Marvel to date IMO. I put WS up there with the Dark Knight honestly, the holy grail of superhero movies in my book. It's a good, somewhat intimate story, character focused, suspenseful, with incredible visceral action scenes.
Just for the exercise :

Winter Soldier
Iron Man
Avengers
GOTG
Thor Ragnarok
Dr Strange
Ant-Man
GOTG 2
Civil War
IM3
Captain America 1
Spider-Man Homecoming
Thor 1
IM2
Thor 2
Age of Ultron
Hulk

I wouldn't say they're from best to worse, more like favorite and memorable to completely forgettable. But short of Incredible Hulk, even the bottom of the list is entertaining on some level.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

All other movies are just fluff. GOTGV2 is my all time favorite movie.

heh.

I finally got around to watching "Homecoming" tonight and had to add it into my list. It's easily Top 5 for me...I slot it slightly behind "Ant-Man" simply because I really like Paul Rudd, and the "caper film" feel of "Ant-Man" adds a dimension to it that I really enjoy.

Based on enjoyment, not quality.

Avengers: Infinity War
Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 1 & 2
The Avengers

Black Panther
Iron Man
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Ant-Man
Ant-Man and the Wasp

The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 3
Iron Man 2
Thor
Thor: The Dark World
Captain America: The First Avenger

I enjoy them all. I don't have anything against The First Avengers, it was just the most constantly decent, as opposed to Iron Man 2 for example, which had low lows, but some pretty high highs.

I'm surprised Civil War is ranked high by so many, too. It was, for me, a big miss. I was really into comics during the first Civil War run. The movie was good, but not as any sort of Civil War storyline. It was more like Captain America: A Coworker Disagreement.

I'm not going to rank them, since I'm posting from my phone and it'll just be a PITA. But the ones I have liked the least have been

Age of Ultron
Civil War
Iron Man 2 & 3
And some will hate me for this but, Black Panther. After all the hype, I felt it could have been soooooo much better. For being one of the most successful movies in history, not just MCU, I felt the story was a bit weak and uninspired. Almost like I'd seen it done before, but haven't been able to pin point where.

It's really tough to rank the Top 10 because I love a lot of those films almost equally, but I did my best to try and put them in a coherent order.

Avengers: Infinity War
The Avengers
Iron Man
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Black Panther
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Doctor Strange
Ant-Man
Captain America: The First Avenger
Iron Man 2
Thor
Iron Man 3
The Incredible Hulk
Thor: The Dark World

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back