Painting Urethane Rubber parts?

Watchmaker92

Hi everyone, was hoping someone might be able to advise me on a new project I've undertaken.

I've recently purchased an unfinished Deathstroke costume, the mask is made of resin which is no real issue. But the armour itself is cast in Urethane Rubber, of which I've had no experience in working with, so I'm not entirely sure on the process of painting it. I've done some research but can't seem to find any conclusive way of actually going about doing it. Some mention of acetone to prep the surface first? but nothing much in regards to brands or specific types of paint, or the method.

So thought I'd best ask here and see if the community could point me in the right direction with this issue? I'd rather not risk ruining the piece by using something like an acrylic based paint and having it crack on me due to flex.

Any assistance or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :)

im bumping this thread because I am also interested in any urethane paint techniques. Im trying to get a nice bright metallic red going and have only succeeded in making it a metallic matte red. Ive had some luck using alclad ii paints... but not all colors are compatible with a rubber surface it seems and seem to remain tacky forever. Im always open to trying new things as Im dying here being that urethane painting seems to be a trade secret as most prop makers seem to shy away with vague answers, ignore your messages(even though you can see the read receipt) or they just tell you flat out that they don't want to share their technique... what a slap in the face and drag on the community spirit. If anyone has any techniques to share, please do!

I will be painting a urethane rubber piece early next year, but it will be display only. I've been told that regular acrylic paints work in a "dry brush" technique. Before I paint anything, I will be testing various matte paints and clear coats and will try to remember to post back here.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back