Dark (Netflix)

Oh man, I'm watching that now, and I searched for it on the rpf, and just cam up with that thread with no answers.
I really recommend it, didn't finish it yet, but it's really stranger things like. What I'm really blowed away with is the colors. It's almost annoying because every five minutes I'm turning to my girlfriend to say, I cannot believe how awesome each shot is and clever the colors are...
I'm starting to see great props too. :)

Just finished it, it’s really really great. Cannot recommend it enough ! It’s definitely got that somber, heavy Nordic aesthetic, that propagated throughout European filmmaking, but it serves the story well. And while I read a few reviews saying the characters were not really developed, I disagree. Not all of them were equally developed, sure, but I felt most of them were more humane than your traditional American protagonists (no offense, I love me some good American television as well).
I must admit, I’m also delighted to see such high quality European series. It’s about time. Some of my producers colleagues who have been at it for years tried to put together genre films and shows, to no avail, impossible to get funding by traditional means, as most funding bodies are stuck in their old ways of the “tortured artist” culture and favor social dramas that nobody wants to see. It takes Netflix to show them that people want to be entertained, not suffer the self-psychanalyse of writers-directors. So for that, I applaud Netflix, the creators of the show and the producers. That’s what Europeans can do, and that’s what everyone wants to see.
Anyway, rant over, and can’t wait to for season 2 !

I just can't seem to find anything to like about this show.

Most scenes look like they were filmed under cool dingy flouros. Outdoor scenes somehow manage to look like this too. The cast all look either stone-faced or like they are having the worst time ever. The plot is a crawl and takes forever to get anywhere. The characters mostly seem to range from bad to terrible people.

I've seen comparison to Stranger Things. They are all completely off the mark. Two shows couldn't feel more different. Stranger Things is fun and you care about the characters. Dark is just dreary, everything about it. I probably won't bother finishing out the season.

I finished watching the first season yesterday, and I quite liked it. As a german I'm not particularly interested in most movies or tv shows that were made here, because they tend to be either bad comedies or depressing crime thrillers. Dark war really refreshing and different, because it was a well executed genre piece. That's totally unheard of over here, so yeah... More please! :)

If anyone is like me and read somewhere this is subtitled, that is not correct. The show is dubbed.

I read somewhere that Dark was subtitled & I was a bit leery of wading through German like that (Narcos isnt the easiest show to get through). Based on the good reviews I gave it a shot & realized it is dubbed. The dubbing is off but not to bad Kung Fu movie levels; its no problem to watch. Don't be put off if you got bad info like me.

The show is fantastic lots of Stranger Things elements & for me at least a bit of Robert Holdstock's book The Hollowing. Really enjoying & recommend it highly.

It is both. I tried the dubbed version and hated it. The voices are corny and they change the dialog quite a bit because there are a lot of German words that take a few English words to describe. I only regret that I couldn't enjoy the visual aspect as much because I was constantly looking down and back up.

Just finished it. Great series. I agree about the dubbing. Super lame and I turned it off pretty quickly. Subtitles didn't bother me at all.

So I guess they're planning a second season? They left a lot of stuff open, not to mention that last scene. Total cliffhanger.

Dark needs a little more love here! Some insane props in this show. I can't think of a show that's done
time travel
as well as Dark has. If you haven't seen it, watch it(with subtitles, please) and come over to the Dark replicas thread!:)

I started last night and am now 8 episodes in.

Fantastic.

I can see how the grim grim tone could be a turnoff to some, but I feel it's spot on for how the characters would be acting in a real world situation like a bunch of kids missing.

I was on to the idea of who Michael was pretty quickly, and figured out The Stranger the moment I saw him.

The ONLY issue I have had is that with names that aren't entirely common in English, it took me a couple of episodes to really get down who was who in 1986 and 2019.

Subtitles are definitely the way to go, the dubbing was...in my opinion...awful. My only complaint about subtitles is this...let me choose where I want them. If I'm already not going to be able to see the entirety of the production because I have to keep looking down to read the dialogue, just let me put them right smack in the center of the screen so I can read them while still seeing what's going on.

Overall a great show...can't wait for season 2.

Season 2 is coming!

And we're going to 1921!
gk9ruuxzp3611.jpg

Not a lot of progress. Waiting on Season 2!

I did recently get an upgrade for my geiger counter, it's a near match to Jonas'. Just need a few shiny screws it looks like.

geiger.jpg

Upon further research, it appears there are two different hero props for the geiger counter, based on their serial numbers. The one Jonas unboxes and the one he uses in the cave is different from the one he has laying on his bed.

It also has a small rubber toggle of some kind:
Jonas' Geiger Counters.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back