A question about leather types for distressing

Psmith

I am looking at getting a black leather coat like the one worn by John Hurt as The War Doctor and want to distress it such that it has the brown areas like a distressed leather jacket often does. I have heard various times and in various places that only certain types of leather are able to be distressed like that. Is there a type of leather to look for? Or is it kind of random, how it was made and colored? Thank you for any help or information!

I don't know much about the types of leather but im guessing its down to weigh if its lightweight then any weathering will ruin it if its a decent weight jacket it should take a fair amount of weathering, much like a motorcycle jacket you can buy a stylish one that would offer no protection or a decent one that would actually protect you (had that experience, quality matters)
I would buy a second hand/used one, have a look at this vid for weathering. I have used his method on leather and material it looks extreme at first but the process work with great results.
personally I would get a really cheap second hand jacket and practise various methods till you commit to the jacket you want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DhgTgHMPcY

Vegetable tanned leathers tend to distress easier and achieve the look you're going for. Most contemporary leather is dyed all the way through, so any distressing will only mar the surface, but wont reveal brown under the black. As for the actual type of leather (goat, lamb, horse, ect) each one weathers and takes distressing differently. The reason many old vintage jackets have such great patina is because only the surface of the leather was spray dyed, and as it wears with use and time, that top coat rubs away exposing the original color of the leather.

You could try a similar method by finding a jacket in brown, then over spray it with black leather dye. Then using alcohol or acetone, start lifting the dye until you've achieved the look you're going for. Definitely do some thorough research on the types of leather dye to use, as you want something that wont penetrate all the way down, but only dye the top surface.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back