Apoxie Sculpt on Worbla?

LucaLouise

My project for this and next year will be the Resplendent Set from AION. I already planned some parts through, but I have a question.
0atmK1Q.jpg

For the horns I thought about making a mold of a clay base so I don't have to repeat making horns a million times. I'm thinking about roto-casing them. For the armor I'm going to use Worbla (single layer) and foam. The little gems will be made of clay and molded as well, then cast in resin.

Now here's my question; does Apoxie Sculpt stick to Worbla without glue? That is what I'm planning to use for the details on the armor. Any tips, and also for sculpting tips in general?

Thank you!

Please Note: I have done only a little work with Worbla, so I am NOT speaking from experience, just some thoughts.

Worbla is flexible, so if it flexes or bends wouldn't a solid detail made of Apoxie Sculpt, just pop off the worbla?

When Worbla is formed and cools it is solid, so the flexing wouldn't be a problem. I only sculpted with worbla on worbla but it hurts my hands too much. I also know Apoxie is sticky so it should stick, but for that I'm really not sure because I only made some small gems with it.
Please Note: I have done only a little work with Worbla, so I am NOT speaking from experience, just some thoughts.

Worbla is flexible, so if it flexes or bends wouldn't a solid detail made of Apoxie Sculpt, just pop off the worbla?

I`ve found this, and it explain`s it rather detaild, and there`s no mentioning of gleu ore anything. So apparently it can be aplied instant to the worbla, and it will hold.

http://www.worbla.com/?p=3022

I hope this wi`ll help you, and nice project you`re venturing on, hope you`ll share the progress here.

So I started on the armor, but one of my concern is that if Apoxy bends slightly, will it crack? Because my arm, neck and shoe pieces need to bend.

The right question for me, as I have already done an excessive build with Apoxi sculpt on Worbla. Depending on what amount of surface you want to cover you will need to pay attention to some things. It will generally work pretty.

Very important is sanding the places you want the Apoxi Sculpt to adhere to with rough sandpaper. It will make the AS stick a LOT better.

If you are just going to do some small details on the surface with you construction method, you may have to reglue them as the AS is not going to bend with the slightly flexible Worblas and can come off.

My preferred, but in case of bigger armours a bit on the expensive side, method of armour building with Worblas and AS is to cover the whole part in a layer of AS. That comes with the added benefit of creating, with some wet sanding, an extremely smooth finish and a very high stiffness of the piece. It will also be a lot more resilient and heat resistant and negate the risk of warping Worblas under the sun.
In case of this method you will also have to pay attention to not make the layer to thin, so it will not break under stress or get bubbles as it is hardening. A layer thickness around 2 millimetres is the best from my experience.
Also using to much water will reduce the structural integrity of the AS and can turn it brittle.
I hope this was helpful and here also a example of armour made with this method:
IMG_1625.jpgIMG_1580.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back