New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis

I've sent a new model off to Roy to do some more comparisons.

The changes I made were.
- I restored the length of the booster to where is was on my last run, since Scottjua has said that it matched the original quite closely, and since it looked a little short in the comparisons that Roy did.
- I enlarged the pommel cubes a bit, widening them out and playing with the geometry a bit to get them to match the FB photo.
-I made the emitter plate flat, and added the second set screw hole.

I played around with a bunch of different grip ridge patterns, but decided not to change the grips, since the comparison photos from Roy show that I have that section pretty much nailed down.

Let's see what Roy come's up with when he overlays my drawings on the available shots and we'll go from there.

Sounds great dan! Can’t wait to see what you and Roy have come up with.

This is one thing I love about this Community, is the team effort!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all respects, In in my opinion and with the comparisons I made time ago, old booster was too long.
I think you matched better in the current render. Don’t think needs to be shortened.
Regarding grenade rings, still think that needs to be corrected from the 2nd run, but can live with how they are now ��
About emitter plate, probably I missed something but why making it flat?
Thanks for your efforts on improving it.

I've sent a new model off to Roy to do some more comparisons.

The changes I made were.
- I restored the length of the booster to where is was on my last run, since Scottjua has said that it matched the original quite closely, and since it looked a little short in the comparisons that Roy did.
- I enlarged the pommel cubes a bit, widening them out and playing with the geometry a bit to get them to match the FB photo.
-I made the emitter plate flat, and added the second set screw hole.

I played around with a bunch of different grip ridge patterns, but decided not to change the grips, since the comparison photos from Roy show that I have that section pretty much nailed down.

Let's see what Roy come's up with when he overlays my drawings on the available shots and we'll go from there.

With all respects, In in my opinion and with the comparisons I made time ago, old booster was too long.
I think you matched better in the current render. Don’t think needs to be shortened.
Regarding grenade rings, still think that needs to be corrected from the 2nd run, but can live with how they are now ��
About emitter plate, probably I missed something but why making it flat?
Thanks for your efforts on improving it.

The flat emitter plate and booster length come from Scottjua. He took one of my sabers and compared it side by side to Brandon's. This is what he reported

I know this isn't a sign up thread.. but that looks phenomenal. I missed your last ones so I'm definitely eagerly awaiting this!

One thing to note. Indigo and Scott have raised questions about the flat bottoms of some of the Vs in the grips.
I just wanted to note that what you're seeing in the blueprint blow us gets exaggerated, vs when you hold the prop in real life. I had an early model 3d printed to compare with my earlier sabers. Here you can see how the grip profile looks when the saber is actualized
20171121_203408.jpg
Same profile. But you don't notice the flatness of the bottom v as much when it's not laid out in 2d

Can you verify/double-check the spacing on the stepped sections between the pommel and booster? Also the amount of reveal between the leading edge of the clamp before reaching the rings. In the various renders both look like they might be wider than on the prop.

Is there a small chamfer on the ring directly below the windvane portion? IMO, if there is, it shouldn't be there. It can probably have a very small round-over, but again, the rendered image makes it look like a very pronounced angle.

I agree with the first statement above about the pommel and booster. To me, it looks either too long or the step above the pommel cubes are a smidge too short. It looks like it actually runs beneath the mystery chunk.

Also, I just saw it now but the cone knob on the booster looks to be sat a bit higher than it is on the actual thing.

attachment.php

Last edited:
A lot of this has already been tweaked. Let's see when the new renders looks like and go from there.

On another note. I was in the shop last night and machined a new emitter based of these new dimensions and fitted it to one of my unibody sabers. It made a world of difference to my eyes. (I'll take some pictures tomorrow if we can get a little sunlight.) So, I think that in addition to doing a new run. I also will offer emitter upgrades for people who bought any of my older sabers, in case you want a bit more accuracy, but don't have the cash to get a whole new saber.

-best
Dan

A lot of this has already been tweaked. Let's see when the new renders looks like and go from there.

On another note. I was in the shop last night and machined a new emitter based of these new dimensions and fitted it to one of my unibody sabers. It made a world of difference to my eyes. (I'll take some pictures tomorrow if we can get a little sunlight.) So, I think that in addition to doing a new run. I also will offer emitter upgrades for people who bought any of my older sabers, in case you want a bit more accuracy, but don't have the cash to get a whole new saber.

-best
Dan

Dan this is wicked news!! Very excited about the V2 emitter upgrade and the pics!!

Depending on how many people were interested, I could probably do emitters for $30-$40

This is actually one fitted to a unibody. Which wasn't that hard. It could be done with a power drill and a hack saw. And it actually rotates too ;)

i imagine it would be simple to add to a 3 piece design? just swap the tops?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back