New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis

They made the lightsaber green because the blue blade got lost in the Yuma sun. That is what I’ve read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah there’s no indication they thought about it ahead of time. There’s pics of the Graflex on set for the sandstorm in some pics, and the V2 in others. They realized the mistake then and Lucas made it into a plot point.

Last edited:
The blue blade in the trailer I have never read only whispers of sand dunes etc etc etc. It’s not hard to believe that the special effects dept were not up to date with decisions around colour choice for Luke’s new saber until later on. Unless they changed their mind from the pre production meeting of 1981? But the explanation then was Luke’s new saver design and colour sets him up as his own man rather than something similar to his fathers which he had been using. I really implore you to read this in the book if you have it. I do not believe for one moment that the V2 was thrown in at the last min.

What better way to set Luke up as his own man than give him a beat up old stunt of Obi-Wan's saber. :lol The fact that they just gave him the old beat up V2 (which I love by the way :love calling the V2 old and beat up is actually a compliment) instead of crafting a new saber tells you right there they didn't put much thought into it. More likely they were just covering for Lucas and his almost total disregard for lightsaber continuity. Remember that ROTS behind the scenes vid where he had to be told whose lightsaber was whose. He's totally indifferent about that kind of thing. That lack of attention to detail really bugged me about the prequels.

Last edited:
The blue blade in the trailer I have never read only whispers of sand dunes etc etc etc. It’s not hard to believe that the special effects dept were not up to date with decisions around colour choice for Luke’s new saber until later on. Unless they changed their mind from the pre production meeting of 1981? But the explanation then was Luke’s new saver design and colour sets him up as his own man rather than something similar to his fathers which he had been using. I really implore you to read this in the book if you have it. I do not believe for one moment that the V2 was thrown in at the last min.

I've been meaning to get it for awhile, so I'll check it out. But a lot of people have read it, and the last minute switch out, and the shift from the blue sky have been common knowledge for some time. I'll check out the book, but whether it was planned or spoken of is moot when we know they did just grab an Obi-stunt and hand it off. If there was a plan for Luke's saber, somebody dropped the ball.

Sorry I should have clarified which is my issue. Yes they threw that saber physically together because they clearly forgot. But the intention was always for there to BE a new saber and colour. Why of all the things we find out isn’t there something that tells the story of this prop? Like why the hero was distinctively different? Exactly when did it get made? Was it always made? Did it get made later on?

What he said. It was a cleaned up Yuma made for either the ISYHCANL insert or the cave build scene.

Here's some early concept art for Luke, and they were assuming Graflex.

IMG_5371.jpg

You know what blows my mind? I keep thinking how there's pics of Hamill on the sand storm set showing George the Graflex. They were literally on the floor shooting when they realized they needed a new lightsaber.

Depending on the schedule of set ups, and if they did close-ups first or not, the V2 was basically detailed and handed off as a belt hanger in a short amount of time. It may have been within the day-- it could have been within an hour or so. What was the state of it at the end of ESB production where it was a practice dueling saber and maybe a tool on Echo Base? Was just the clamp card added? Mystery chunk and cone knob? How much paint was already gone?

One of the best props ever could have been refinished to completion in minutes with whatever scrap was handy.

I was just literally just thinking about this earlier today and I actually began to wonder if all the scenes in Jabbas palace where Luke is mysteriously without a lightsaber had to do with them realizing the Graflex was no good and wondered if Luke snuggling the saber in via R2 was a script adjustment because they didn’t have a prop ready yet. None of that is true or doesn’t appear to be after looking up the timeline.

However, I did see again while looking that shot of Luke with his V2 on his belt in the sandstorm - which means they either got that prop same day, or within a day cause they didn’t spent long on that scene.

Yeah Seth , I just double checked: it was definitely same day. People were on set at 8:30am, cameras rolled around 10:15, and then took lunch around 1:45. So presumably, the saber change took place within that two hour time period between 8:30 when they showed up on set and 10:15 when they actually started shooting.

Last edited:
Yeah Seth , I just double checked: it was definitely same day. People were on set at 8:30am, cameras rolled around 10:15, and then took lunch around 1:45. So presumably, the saber change took place within that two hour time period between 8:30 when they showed up on set and 10:15 when they actually started shooting.

Some ones doing their homework!

Where on earth did u find this information?!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back