New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis

You mean un even? If so that’s how it’s suppose to be, the rings were never even

Yes, sorry. The grenade section rings.
Some appears to be stepped or something?

New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model - shaded 3.jpg

Maybe you mean the chamfers on some edges of the grenade section rings.
I wonder about that too.
Dan? Why did you add those? Maybe they're unnecessary.

(BTW: I hope you don't mind me posting some more images here.)

I think he added some kind of bevel there.
BTW, hope you dont mind Roy or Dan, but i´m preparing some few suggestions or appreciations over the pictures you posted.
Anyway, your job is excellent, i think.
Let me finish and i will post them later

I have to say I didn’t see those! I was curious about the “Seam” line down then but figure that has something to do with 3d modeling

The entire pommel is ONE piece

Scott, you're sure the cube section isn't a tight-fitting ring slid over a tube section and then punched (at that "machine mark") to hold it in place, right? That would help explain the mark and the differing oxidation effect on the cubes.

Well. Here are some few things i think can be considered. See the attached image

- First is the height of the emmiter. I think the mid part can be a bit shorter. also the neck part a tiny bit shorter as you can see with the guidelines.
I have the 2nd run Dan´s lightsaber and always though on that.

- The second thing i noticed are the cubes of the pommel. I think can be a bit taller.

- The third one is grenade section related. I marked the exact same distance guides over one of the pictures so perhaps the unevenness we are assuming does not exist or is a lot less pronounced. Maybe can be a lighting effect where the paint is chipped off and giving the illusion of unevenness. Same for the chamfers.

Also inside the grenade section V shapes, i´m hardly doubting about they are flat. Cant definitely judge with just one reference picture, but perhaps is just grime and/ or paint chipped off too and lighting illusion.

Hope that helps. I want the definitive V2!

View attachment 773312

Scott, you're sure the cube section isn't a tight-fitting ring slid over a tube section and then punched (at that "machine mark") to hold it in place, right? That would help explain the mark and the differing oxidation effect on the cubes.

Yes... I'm 100% sure it's not more than one piece. It's a milling mark, nothing more. Also I think you're reading too far into the different surface finishes and levels of oxidation. Remember that got gripped a lot with a black leather glove, and had been very used. The cubes are the part that protrudes and that could explain that.

Well. Here are some few things i think can be considered. See the attached image

- First is the height of the emmiter. I think the mid part can be a bit shorter. also the neck part a tiny bit shorter as you can see with the guidelines.

- The second thing i noticed are the cubes of the pommel. I think can be a bit taller.

- The third one is grenade section related. I marked the exact same distance guides over one of the pictures so perhaps the unevenness we are assuming does not exist or is a lot less pronounced. Maybe can be a lighting effect where the paint is chipped off and giving the illusion of unevenness. Same for the chamfers.

Also inside the grenade section V shapes, i´m hardly doubting about they are flat. Cant definitely judge with just one reference picture, but perhaps is just grime and/ or paint chipped off too and lighting illusion.

View attachment 773312

This.

Anakin, I sent you a more detailed PM answering your questions.

But the grenade plunge cuts were just taken with a larger radius edge cutting tool. So not a sharp point tool like on your previous runs. The SH V2 used a slightly larger radius tip cutter and you can see the difference in those valleys on how they catch the light. Same with the original prop.

I also don't remember seeing those extra edges on the plunge cuts. They simply were cut in haphazardly at different depths. Someone wasn't being too careful or precise when they turned it down.

I've noticed the chamfered edges on a few grenade rings also in more
than one photo. However, I guess it could be the effect of lighting as well.

View attachment 773312

This attachment isn't working. Can you upload it somewhere and provide a link?

- - - Updated - - -

I have to say I didn’t see those! I was curious about the “Seam” line down then but figure that has something to do with 3d modeling

That's just how solidworks displays the model

just read from start to finish, all this progress is fantastic. great Job's all round. I will be keeping an eye on this one!

Ok. So I officially had an anxiety dream about the design of this saber last night. Don't worry folks, I'm still working ;)
haha I'm sorry and happy you're still working.

I wanted to reiterate, if my concerns overshadowed anything, how impressed and excited I am for this run. You never disappoint.

View attachment 773312

Inigou, I wanted to respond specifically to your posts here.

-I've gone over the emitter dimensions a bunch of times and I think Roy's overlays show that we pretty much have that part nailed down. Please note that the emitter design in this model is totally different than my earlier v2.

-As to the pommel, you might be right, I'm going to play around with this this weekend. Scott has said that my old pommel was almost bang on to the original, but, perhaps a 1% increase in size and a slightly bigger lip, as people have said, my get in perfect.

-As to the grenade section, it has been confirmed that each V recess differs from one another, creating a lack of uniformity in the ring spacing, and that the point of the V is flat, due to the cutting tip that was used. Scott has mentioned this in his remarks from a comparison of my second run v2 to the original.

I have nothing of substance to add except this looks awesome and can’t wait for the eventual run. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a SH V2 but would also sign up for this in a second. Missed out on your Hero run but I don't plan on missing this. And with room for electronics......just take my money! Looking forward to seeing this progress further.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back