New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis

When this baby is all together, you’ll never know it’s FX capable
It being FX doesn’t bother me one bit, and I will not be FXing this baby.

Exactly. Seen a few people comment like there are reference images somewhere of what the internals of the prop look like - or that anyone has any semi-accurate information on the internals at all.

News flash: no one has published information about the inside of the prop. But we do know one thing. It's hollow. So consider this much more prop accurate than some non-hollow static build.

I don't care about adding sound effects, but I'd like to have the ability to create a chamber reveal without having to send the hilt out for boring. This is looking to be a great saber.

Exactly. Seen a few people comment like there are reference images somewhere of what the internals of the prop look like - or that anyone has any semi-accurate information on the internals at all.

News flash: no one has published information about the inside of the prop. But we do know one thing. It's hollow. So consider this much more prop accurate than some non-hollow static build.

I don't care about adding sound effects, but I'd like to have the ability to create a chamber reveal without having to send the hilt out for boring. This is looking to be a great saber.

There are a couple of folks out there that have some idea of the construction, and it's how we got to the place we did.

I'm waiting to see how things all fit together before I make the decision for myself. Will it weigh the same? That will be great. will it rattle like the original, or is everything a tight fit?

That's why I have eyes on the replacement solid emitter Dan was/is offering. Swap that out with the modular emitter and denting it up shouldn't be a problem. I plan on modding it further if I can find someone to lathe a nipple piece.

I personally believe it isn't on the real thing. We have a few too many photos of the nipple grub screws not lining up with the grub screws on the emitter (so far as the V2 is concerned), and know a bit too much about the prop's origins with photo evidence to back it up, for me to believe it.

I made this little drawing just to get my ideas down but how appropriate that it can be used here:

SharedStuntTheoretical.jpg

Every word in that post could be describing this latest replica version, which is the point I was making all along. We know it's hollow. We know the outside was machined. We don't have any kind of visual guide to the inside, so it's moot how a particular builder designs theirs. The groans over anakin's choices here with respect to prop accuracy are unfounded.

Exactly. We know the body and pommel are hollow. We’ve known for a long time. The emitter is my only concern. I think it will be difficult to dent it up properly without locking threads or creating gaps where the parts come together.

It's easy. Done it. Multiple times on SH build with threaded parts. Works great. Should be no problem on this version with the thinner lip.

Every word in that post could be describing this latest replica version, which is the point I was making all along. We know it's hollow. We know the outside was machined. We don't have any kind of visual guide to the inside, so it's moot how a particular builder designs theirs. The groans over anakin's choices here with respect to prop accuracy are unfounded.

It's easy. Done it. Multiple times on SH build with threaded parts. Works great. Should be no problem on this version with the thinner lip.

Congrats. It’s good to know it shouldn’t be a problem.

Last edited:
Dan, will either the emitter or the neck have the step down for the groove in the neck? It looks like the design has an internal piece that is a spacer and creates the gap.

I personally believe it isn't on the real thing. We have a few too many photos of the nipple grub screws not lining up with the grub screws on the emitter (so far as the V2 is concerned), and know a bit too much about the prop's origins with photo evidence to back it up, for me to believe it.

I made this little drawing just to get my ideas down but how appropriate that it can be used here:

View attachment 782999

That’s how I see it also. We also know the rod changed position in relation to the paint on the top on the V2 based on the chip on the one side of it.

Attachments

• 1970BA41-B6D5-4298-AEA7-E8E2BB643D8A.png
    1970BA41-B6D5-4298-AEA7-E8E2BB643D8A.png
    194.3 KB · Views: 297
  • 7DE65E14-C917-4098-B4FA-CE78E8F55078.png
    7DE65E14-C917-4098-B4FA-CE78E8F55078.png
    751 KB · Views: 295
My only suggestion based on those prototype machine parts is: the valley between the grenade ribs... should not be flat and squared off. It was just a large radius triangle shaped turning insert on the lathe tool. Not a flat spot... just a more rounded point is all. The light being caught by paint and grime in the photos isn't a flat spot.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back