Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 14, 2017, 8:25 AM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #101

halliwax said: View Post
    You mean un even? If so thatís how itís suppose to be, the rings were never even
    Inigou said: View Post
    Yes, sorry. The grenade section rings.
    Some appears to be stepped or something?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model - shaded 3.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	773302

Maybe you mean the chamfers on some edges of the grenade section rings.
    I wonder about that too.
    Dan? Why did you add those? Maybe they're unnecessary.

(BTW: I hope you don't mind me posting some more images here.)
    From
    Bilbao, Spain
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 14, 2017, 8:30 AM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #102

Name:	step.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	773303

You mean un even? If so that’s how it’s suppose to be, the rings were never even
    roygilsing said: View Post

Name:	New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model - shaded 3.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	773302

Maybe you mean the chamfers on some edges of the grenade section rings.
    I wonder about that too.
    Dan? Why did you add those? Maybe they're unnecessary.

(BTW: I hope you don't mind me posting some more images here.)
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 14, 2017, 8:40 AM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #103

Name:	step.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	773303
    I have to say I didnít see those! I was curious about the ďSeamĒ line down then but figure that has something to do with 3d modeling
    From
    Bilbao, Spain
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 14, 2017, 8:43 AM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #104

I think he added some kind of bevel there.
    BTW, hope you dont mind Roy or Dan, but iīm preparing some few suggestions or appreciations over the pictures you posted.
    Anyway, your job is excellent, i think.
    Let me finish and i will post them later

I have to say I didn’t see those! I was curious about the “Seam” line down then but figure that has something to do with 3d modeling
  5. RPF Premium Member Pixelpiper's Avatar
    From
    Canada
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 14, 2017, 8:56 AM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #105

scottjua said: View Post
    The entire pommel is ONE piece
    Scott, you're sure the cube section isn't a tight-fitting ring slid over a tube section and then punched (at that "machine mark") to hold it in place, right? That would help explain the mark and the differing oxidation effect on the cubes.
    From
    Bilbao, Spain
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 14, 2017, 9:10 AM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #106

Well. Here are some few things i think can be considered. See the attached image

- First is the height of the emmiter. I think the mid part can be a bit shorter. also the neck part a tiny bit shorter as you can see with the guidelines.
    I have the 2nd run Danīs lightsaber and always though on that.

- The second thing i noticed are the cubes of the pommel. I think can be a bit taller.

- The third one is grenade section related. I marked the exact same distance guides over one of the pictures so perhaps the unevenness we are assuming does not exist or is a lot less pronounced. Maybe can be a lighting effect where the paint is chipped off and giving the illusion of unevenness. Same for the chamfers.

Also inside the grenade section V shapes, iīm hardly doubting about they are flat. Cant definitely judge with just one reference picture, but perhaps is just grime and/ or paint chipped off too and lighting illusion.

Hope that helps. I want the definitive V2!

Attachment 773312
    From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 14, 2017, 11:08 AM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #107

Pixelpiper said: View Post
    Scott, you're sure the cube section isn't a tight-fitting ring slid over a tube section and then punched (at that "machine mark") to hold it in place, right? That would help explain the mark and the differing oxidation effect on the cubes.
    Yes... I'm 100% sure it's not more than one piece. It's a milling mark, nothing more. Also I think you're reading too far into the different surface finishes and levels of oxidation. Remember that got gripped a lot with a black leather glove, and had been very used. The cubes are the part that protrudes and that could explain that.
    From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 14, 2017, 11:12 AM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #108

Well. Here are some few things i think can be considered. See the attached image

- First is the height of the emmiter. I think the mid part can be a bit shorter. also the neck part a tiny bit shorter as you can see with the guidelines.

- The second thing i noticed are the cubes of the pommel. I think can be a bit taller.

- The third one is grenade section related. I marked the exact same distance guides over one of the pictures so perhaps the unevenness we are assuming does not exist or is a lot less pronounced. Maybe can be a lighting effect where the paint is chipped off and giving the illusion of unevenness. Same for the chamfers.

Also inside the grenade section V shapes, iīm hardly doubting about they are flat. Cant definitely judge with just one reference picture, but perhaps is just grime and/ or paint chipped off too and lighting illusion.

Attachment 773312

This.

Anakin, I sent you a more detailed PM answering your questions.

But the grenade plunge cuts were just taken with a larger radius edge cutting tool. So not a sharp point tool like on your previous runs. The SH V2 used a slightly larger radius tip cutter and you can see the difference in those valleys on how they catch the light. Same with the original prop.

I also don't remember seeing those extra edges on the plunge cuts. They simply were cut in haphazardly at different depths. Someone wasn't being too careful or precise when they turned it down.
    From
    NYC
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 14, 2017, 11:48 AM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #109

I've noticed the chamfered edges on a few grenade rings also in more
    than one photo. However, I guess it could be the effect of lighting as well.
  10. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 15, 2017, 11:50 AM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #110

Attachment 773312
    This attachment isn't working. Can you upload it somewhere and provide a link?

- - - Updated - - -

I have to say I didn’t see those! I was curious about the “Seam” line down then but figure that has something to do with 3d modeling
    That's just how solidworks displays the model
    From
    Bilbao, Spain
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 15, 2017, 11:58 AM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #111

Anakin Starkiller said: View Post
    This attachment isn't working. Can you upload it somewhere and provide a link?
    - - - Updated - - -

Name:	mod.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	513.7 KB 
ID:	773600

Now?
    Last edited by Inigou; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:18 PM.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 15, 2017, 12:59 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #112

- - - Updated - - -

Name:	mod.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	513.7 KB 
ID:	773600

Now?
    I can see that now
  13. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 11:49 AM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #113

Ok. So I officially had an anxiety dream about the design of this saber last night. Don't worry folks, I'm still working
  14. RPF Premium Member canister's Avatar
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 2:21 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #114

just read from start to finish, all this progress is fantastic. great Job's all round. I will be keeping an eye on this one!
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 6:17 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #115

Ok. So I officially had an anxiety dream about the design of this saber last night. Don't worry folks, I'm still working
    haha I'm sorry and happy you're still working.

I wanted to reiterate, if my concerns overshadowed anything, how impressed and excited I am for this run. You never disappoint.
  16. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 12:53 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #116

I've made some changes to the model this past week, to experiment with what people have said here. I'm going to spend a lot of time Sunday finalizing the design and then I will send the models back to Roy to play with and see what his comparisons reveal. Stay tuned for that
  17. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 1:22 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #117

Attachment 773312

Inigou, I wanted to respond specifically to your posts here.

-I've gone over the emitter dimensions a bunch of times and I think Roy's overlays show that we pretty much have that part nailed down. Please note that the emitter design in this model is totally different than my earlier v2.

-As to the pommel, you might be right, I'm going to play around with this this weekend. Scott has said that my old pommel was almost bang on to the original, but, perhaps a 1% increase in size and a slightly bigger lip, as people have said, my get in perfect.

-As to the grenade section, it has been confirmed that each V recess differs from one another, creating a lack of uniformity in the ring spacing, and that the point of the V is flat, due to the cutting tip that was used. Scott has mentioned this in his remarks from a comparison of my second run v2 to the original.
  18. RPF Premium Member
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 18, 2017, 8:26 AM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #118

I have nothing of substance to add except this looks awesome and canít wait for the eventual run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    New York
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 6:02 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #119

I have a SH V2 but would also sign up for this in a second. Missed out on your Hero run but I don't plan on missing this. And with room for electronics......just take my money! Looking forward to seeing this progress further.
  20. RPF Premium Member scottjua's Avatar
    From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 10:18 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #120

The cuttee point wasn't flat but had a larger point. So was rounded like all cutters but not a tiny precision point.
  21. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 20, 2017, 2:26 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #121

I've sent a new model off to Roy to do some more comparisons.

The changes I made were.
    - I restored the length of the booster to where is was on my last run, since Scottjua has said that it matched the original quite closely, and since it looked a little short in the comparisons that Roy did.
    - I enlarged the pommel cubes a bit, widening them out and playing with the geometry a bit to get them to match the FB photo.
    -I made the emitter plate flat, and added the second set screw hole.

I played around with a bunch of different grip ridge patterns, but decided not to change the grips, since the comparison photos from Roy show that I have that section pretty much nailed down.

Let's see what Roy come's up with when he overlays my drawings on the available shots and we'll go from there.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 20, 2017, 5:19 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #122

Sounds great dan! Canít wait to see what you and Roy have come up with.

This is one thing I love about this Community, is the team effort!

23. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 20, 2017, 5:25 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #123

Sounds great dan! Canít wait to see what you and Roy have come up with.

This is one thing I love about this Community, is the team effort!

I'll do my best to do it asap. But just to be clear: I'm only Dan's 3D assistant here! I'm not involved in the modeling
    From
    Bilbao, Spain
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 20, 2017, 5:55 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #124

With all respects, In in my opinion and with the comparisons I made time ago, old booster was too long.
    I think you matched better in the current render. Don’t think needs to be shortened.
    Regarding grenade rings, still think that needs to be corrected from the 2nd run, but can live with how they are now ��
    About emitter plate, probably I missed something but why making it flat?
    Thanks for your efforts on improving it.

I've sent a new model off to Roy to do some more comparisons.

The changes I made were.
    - I restored the length of the booster to where is was on my last run, since Scottjua has said that it matched the original quite closely, and since it looked a little short in the comparisons that Roy did.
    - I enlarged the pommel cubes a bit, widening them out and playing with the geometry a bit to get them to match the FB photo.
    -I made the emitter plate flat, and added the second set screw hole.

I played around with a bunch of different grip ridge patterns, but decided not to change the grips, since the comparison photos from Roy show that I have that section pretty much nailed down.

Let's see what Roy come's up with when he overlays my drawings on the available shots and we'll go from there.
  25. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 20, 2017, 6:39 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #125

With all respects, In in my opinion and with the comparisons I made time ago, old booster was too long.
    I think you matched better in the current render. Don’t think needs to be shortened.
    Regarding grenade rings, still think that needs to be corrected from the 2nd run, but can live with how they are now ��
    About emitter plate, probably I missed something but why making it flat?
    Thanks for your efforts on improving it.
    The flat emitter plate and booster length come from Scottjua. He took one of my sabers and compared it side by side to Brandon's. This is what he reported