New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis

Hello !

Very good job you did, once again.
Maybe you can release an accuracy kit (emitter and pommel) for those who already have a v2 (2nd run) and a fx ready for the others since the grenade was already pretty accurate to the original one ?

Patlegrand

I for one love and support this modular piece design setup.

What I like about this multi piece (modular) design is say for some strange reason we discover something new with the pommel or heck even the booster

Now dan could do a run of updated pieces along side of updated full runs.

Granted I don’t think dan can get anymore spot on with this. This new model looks fantastic, big shout out to Roy for helping as well!

As for people concerned about holding out for Brandon’s new book

Idk... I have a gut feeling the new book wouldn’t even cover the V2, and if it does, maybe only give us photos of what we already have

Put yourself in Brandon’s feet, he purchased that saber, which can’t be cheap.

After investing in this prop, would you want someone making 100% accurate replicas?

With today’s technology and all the talented guys on here look how close we have come.. he’ll look at Trent’s stencils, I mean that was so close it’s scary!

So I support starkiller’s new design, and what ever other setups he comes up with in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This new model looks fantastic, big shout out to Roy for helping as well!

Thanks Danny!

After inventing saying 200,000 dollars for this prop, would you want someone making 100% accurate replicas?

No matter how accurate a replica is, there's only one original and he owns it! It doesn't become less valuable if there's more copies. I'd say rather the opposite!

Besides, even with our best efforts, we can never get it to be 100%. I'm sure if you have both a replica and the original in your hands you can spot the differences immediately!

Sorry this is huge, I can't delete and add a smaller version. But here you can see the V2 sand tape, in its original form.

Attachments

• SWMag005.jpg
    SWMag005.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,112
Thanks Scott. It's a great Pic. I think that my model does a good job of matching that shot. But if anyone has any suggestions for emendations I'd love to hear them.

I particularly like that this one shows us the original neck, which the taped pics obscure. I think my model matches pretty well.

I'm interested in hearing what you guys think about the pommel on my model. In the Hammel shot, it seems to match exactly. In the FB shot, it seems a little off. Now one possibility is that the pommel was in a different position. Another is that the cubes vary in their angles and orientation. Another is that this is just due to lens distortion.

I had begun to model a pommel with differentlty angled cubes to try and match the fb picture. But I noticed that the pommel seems to extend farther on the left than the right, which doesn't make sense if the pommel was turned on a lathe. This left me back at square one thinking the camera distortion might just be screwing with me.

Any advise?

it's a tough one. In the vertical image you can see that the central cube is spot on but left and right are off. This much can't be due to lens distortion, but might mean that they are very unevenly spread.

I'm interested in hearing what you guys think about the pommel on my model. In the Hammel shot, it seems to match exactly. In the FB shot, it seems a little off. Now one possibility is that the pommel was in a different position. Another is that the cubes vary in their angles and orientation. Another is that this is just due to lens distortion.

I had begun to model a pommel with differentlty angled cubes to try and match the fb picture. But I noticed that the pommel seems to extend farther on the left than the right, which doesn't make sense if the pommel was turned on a lathe. This left me back at square one thinking the camera distortion might just be screwing with me.

Any advise?

I held your Version 1 multi piece against the real deal in my hands, and your saber from booster down was within 1-3% correct. It was very very close in pommel cubes, dimensions, etc. I wouldn't change much on it. From the clamp up it was small scaling issues and the overall length of the ribbed section was too short. The emitter was too wide, and various other small differences in measurements. But from the clamp down it was pretty dang close. We compared them pretty well.

Really looking forward to this one Dan! The new render should take care of some of the grip and emitter scaling that Scott is talking about.

Damn. I wish I'd been at that party ;)

That's really interesting to hear. I have been told by some people who bought my earlier kits that, after Brandon released the FB pic, they thought the booster section was too long. But maybe it was the opposite, maybe the ribbed grip section was a little bit too short. This is interesting and a bit confusing, but I'm going to mull it over and play around with 3d models and see what I can come up with. If you have any more info that you can share I'd really appreciate hearing it.

Can you tell me if the overall length of my v1 was correct?

Last edited:

Any advise?

Any replica I see of the V2, V3, or Hero almost always looks off with the pommel. Your replicas seem to be the only ones that get that area right, so I'd trust yourself on that one.

I'm getting really excited about this build. I especially appreciate all the info you are getting from those that handled the prop and compared it to yours. I love the fact that you are going all out.

Any replica I see of the V2, V3, or Hero almost always looks off with the pommel. Your replicas seem to be the only ones that get that area right, so I'd trust yourself on that one.

This, I couldn't say it better myself.

It also looks like the space between the pommel cubes is the same thickness from one to the next. Like, if you look at the edge of the cube ring, in between the cubes, the model makes a curve as if it was milled out with a round thing. The original prop looks like it matches the arc of the pommel, making sharp corners with the cubes.

granted, I'm not sure how a machine would make that.

Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 6.23.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-11-08 at 6.23.57 PM.png

I am probably wrong, but what if the the pommel started with being turned on a lathe, then was put on a drill press to clear our the spaces. As in drilling down with the pommel resting on its base. That might account for those rounded parts. After that they'd have to clean them up further.

I am probably wrong, but what if the the pommel started with being turned on a lathe, then was put on a drill press to clear our the spaces. As in drilling down with the pommel resting on its base. That might account for those rounded parts. After that they'd have to clean them up further.

Had a friend do this on some round stock, and it ended up shrinking the bottom corners of the cubes, looked super weird :behave

I always understood why dan's model is slightly swooped, since thats the way its made. The V2 could have been cleaned up even more by hand¿

I always assumed that's how it was done.

We know they started with the wooden lathed master, that was then cast.

shared_stunt_bucks.jpgLukeRealBlank.jpg

The pommel was rounded like that with the angles-- so they slice it, then drill down the holes from the center bit, clean them up, then sandwich it back together and attach it to the rest right?

A wooden lathe and casting seems like a no-brain for the ANY prop department, but CNC and/or milling machines seems to specialized for the slipshod fast-paced work they were doing-- especially since these were stunt rigs never meant to be seen up close.

There's also the chance of clean-up being done on-set for ROTJ.

I always assumed that's how it was done.

We know they started with the wooden lathed master, that was then cast.

View attachment 772062View attachment 772066

The pommel was rounded like that with the angles-- so they slice it, then drill down the holes from the center bit, clean them up, then sandwich it back together and attach it to the rest right?

A wooden lathe and casting seems like a no-brain for the ANY prop department, but CNC and/or milling machines seems to specialized for the slipshod fast-paced work they were doing-- especially since these were stunt rigs never meant to be seen up close.

There's also the chance of clean-up being done on-set for ROTJ.

Pretty sure that last picture is of a fan made replica and not a original blank.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back