Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 5:23 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #26

that there is gaffer tape

I also would like to see a flat emitter surface, I always thought it was dented from fencing. Since the radius beneath the emitter lip is the same width as the non-dented part of the emitter.
  2. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 5:43 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #27

It's gaffers tape.

Scott, can you tell me what your source for the emitter flatness is?
    From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 5:45 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #28

Anakin Starkiller said: View Post
    It's gaffers tape.

Scott, can you tell me what your source for the emitter flatness is?
    holding the original prop in my hands.

it's certainly all bent up now... but as first made it was flat.
  4. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 5:46 PM - New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #29

The thin walls in certain areas have been mentioned and are being reviewed. I agree and would keep a 1.5 - 2.0mm minimum.
  5. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 6:05 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #30

scottjua said: View Post
    holding the original prop in my hands.

it's certainly all bent up now... but as first made it was flat.
    Thanks. Is there any other info that you can share about the original from observing it? If you'd like to discuss privately, pm me.
    From
    Forest Lake
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 6:24 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #31

Nice Job Anakin... when does the run start? LOL!
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 7:29 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #32

Dang it! Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

Should I just put your name on my "pay to the order of "on my payroll checks

Looks like I am going to have to buy in, AGAIN!,,,,

Atleast I had the practice from your unibody build.

Actually, this sounds like it is going to be the most accurate V2 period. Can't pass this up. Keep us posted.

Just do us a favor and not begin collecting funds until after the new year. Daddys broke for Christmas
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 7:33 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #33

Sym-Cha said: View Post
    http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/z...x.png~original

Nice progress Dan and Roy. Eh . . . do we know
    what this circle is or what it's covering up in the
    pommel section? And is that a tiny black arrow
    seemingly to point to the center?

Chaïm
    Any chance this mill mark can be put on the pommel? That would be outstanding
  9. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 8:00 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #34

That's the plan
  10. RPF Premium Member kevin926's Avatar
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 8:05 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #35

Hope roy is gearing up for completion kits for this run.
  11. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 8:35 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #36

A pre-emptive comment for the eventual run: Interested, interested, interested, interested, INTERESTED!!!
  12. RPF Premium Member kevin926's Avatar
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 8:38 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #37

PoopaPapaPalps said: View Post
    A pre-emptive comment for the eventual run: Interested, interested, interested, interested, INTERESTED!!!
    You don't sound too convincing
  13. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 8:51 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #38

kevin926 said: View Post
    You don't sound too convincing
    Well, to be quite frank, I am a bit bummed that it's going to be multi-piece construction for FX reasons. I'm not interested in FX pieces but I am very pleased with how accurate the new model looks. I was really hoping for something much closer to the original prop: it being a 4 piece construction (so far as we know). I mean, if we're going to have multiple pieces, I'd be much more keen on an almost solid emitter with a separate nipple piece, a single body construction down to the pommel, and a separate pommel piece. I don't think it's all that much crazier.

Considering the model presented, the thinness is being addressed, so I don't have much more to add beyond that. If it's possible, I'd like to see a 360 view of the Mystery Chunk that this model has. I'm 90% positive it's a leather craft stamp I have in mind and wonder if the shapes and scale line up.
    Last edited by PoopaPapaPalps; 4 Weeks Ago at 9:00 PM.
    From
    South Carolina
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 9:03 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #39

Sign me up! ..... when you can
    With this new one being able to hold a blade, I might make this one the ANH Obi-Wan stunt.
  15. RPF Premium Member kevin926's Avatar
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 9:10 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #40

Well, to be quite frank, I am a bit bummed that it's going to be multi-piece construction for FX reasons. I'm not interested in FX pieces but I am very pleased with how accurate the new model looks. I was really hoping for something much closer to the original prop: it being a 4 piece construction (so far as we know). I mean, if we're going to have multiple pieces, I'd be much more keen on an almost solid emitter with a separate nipple piece, a single body construction down to the pommel, and a separate pommel piece. I don't think it's all that much crazier.

Considering the model presented, the thinness is being addressed, so I don't have much more to add beyond that. If it's possible, I'd like to see a 360 view of the Mystery Chunk that this model has. I'm 90% positive it's a leather craft stamp I have in mind and wonder if the shapes and scale line up.

Good points. I'm wondering if he can offer the FX version, but also offer the none FX with less pieces.
  16. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 9:26 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #41

Believe me, I wouldn't have sacrificed accuracy for fx. But, when I took a stab at having it both ways, I came up with a solution that allowed for both.
  17. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 9:30 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #42

kevin926 said: View Post
    Good points. I'm wondering if he can offer the FX version, but also offer the none FX with less pieces.
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but what would be the benefit of this to you if it looks the same either way?

Here is a close up of the mystery chunk. The stem will be threaded, although it is not present in the image
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mystery chunk.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	771895
  18. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 9:35 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #43

russellsch said: View Post
    Sign me up! ..... when you can
    With this new one being able to hold a blade, I might make this one the ANH Obi-Wan stunt.
    Yes, it can hold a blade. You could build it with a 7/8 fx blade. Or, if you wanted to build it with a rotating metal rod like the original ANH stunt saber, you could go that route as well.
  19. RPF Premium Member kevin926's Avatar
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 9:45 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #44

Please don't take this the wrong way, but what would be the benefit of this to you if it looks the same either way?

Here is a close up of the mystery chunk. The stem will be threaded, although it is not present in the image
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mystery chunk.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	771895
    None overall as far as looks. Remember, I already have and finished your unibody design. I guess it would use be for having it closer to the original. But I also understand only a few really know what the original actually has ,as far as pieces are concerned.

Also, I didn't and won't take it the wrong way. I didn't mean to offend you if I did
  20. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 9:49 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #45

I can only answer for myself but it would be function. A function that isn't just a surface detail that simulated that of the original but the function of the piece would be a near-perfect facsimile of the actual thing based on the original construcrtion. For me, that is a huge draw. Even though it's illusory, it would be like I was handling the real thing, itself. It's the very reason why I value and was drawn to your previous V2 run over Solo's Hold V2. They're both two great things but serve two different purposes.

It might be petty just to say, "Oh, but this one is built just like the actual, original prop," over "It's made to look and resemble the function of the original," but for someone who isn't going to be fulfilling the FX end of the prop, it'll feel incomplete to me. Like having an RC car but it's missing all its internals. Or, more accurately pertaining to the RPF, Roman's functioning Graflex or TGS' Graflex. I doubt that anyone will use Roman's functioning Graflex on a working 4x5 but the fact that it can is all the sweeter.

Don't get me wrong, you've done a man's job with this and your previous contributions (more than I could), and I'm sure as Shineola going to jump on the run of this.
    Last edited by PoopaPapaPalps; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:02 PM.
  21. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 10:14 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #46

I can only answer for myself but it would be function. A function that isn't just a surface detail that simulated that of the original but the function of the piece would be a near-perfect facsimile of the actual thing based on the original construcrtion. For me, that is a huge draw. Even though it's illusory, it would be like I was handling the real thing, itself. It's the very reason why I value and was drawn to your previous V2 run over Solo's Hold V2. They're both two great things but serve two different purposes.

It might be petty just to say, "Oh, but this one is built just like the actual, original prop," over "It's made to look and resemble the function of the original," but for someone who isn't going to be fulfilling the FX end of the prop, it'll feel incomplete to me. Like having an RC car but it's missing all its internals. Or, more accurately pertaining to the RPF, Roman's functioning Graflex or TGS' Graflex. I doubt that anyone will use Roman's functioning Graflex on a working 4x5 but the fact that it can is all the sweeter.

Don't get me wrong, you've done a man's job with this and your previous contributions (more than I could), and I'm sure as Shineola going to jump on the run of this.
    Right, but this design will still allow for the spinning emitter. It can be set up to keep the spinning emitter function, even with the fx installed.
    And actually, if you wanted to assemble it just like my old design, forgoing fx all together, you could do that too.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 10:17 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #47

Just remember who told u about that leather stamp
    From
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 10:29 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #48

Right, but this design will still allow for the spinning emitter. It can be set up to keep the spinning emitter function, even with the fx installed.
    And actually, if you wanted to assemble it just like my old design, forgoing fx all together, you could do that too.
    Here's a question - would it spin from the break in the neck like both surviving sabers? That side-cutaway made me think the big section of the emitter spun and the last step/neck stayed put.

That idea might just be a difference of feel of the hobby. I enjoy the heft/internal construction too, even though you can't see it on the outside, which I can see as being a bit irrational. Most replicas made do not take into account original engineering, as long as the outside is identical, it serves a purpose.

Anyway, the mystery chunk, I'm going by memory, but did it have a pattern or something on it? as opposed to just homogenous knurls
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 10:35 PM - New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #49

So maybe it’s time for me to share some of my research about the mystery chunk.

I spent a lot of time examining the pictures we have. Some of our best mystery chunk pictures is from “pop culture quest” with mark and Brandon.

I was thinking at first it was just a piece of metal like Brandon said, but a very reliable source told me it’s a found part

So I began digging and digging... I swear in the picture with Hamill Brandon that chunk has lettering on it (which I was proven wrong, but this helped me find what I think is the real chunk)

So first thing I thought was a X,8, or even M or N on the top of the chunk.
    With my dad building race cars I grew up around many steel work tools, and I remember some alphabet stamps and numbers he had to stamp them into the steel. And sure enough the end of the stamps have that same “bevel”

I dug and dug for vintage stamps, that’s when I came across some vintage stamps on a old eBay listing... same color brown too. I don’t have that picture with me now, but I took that listing which had the name of the original company, and googled. It was a German leather tool company, so I googled that. This company has been around since WWI and has been sold to a company in China and they now produce the same tools but in a chrome-y finish

Check these photos out

And here is what I believe is the mystery chunk

Since there was a lot of leather work done in production... I can imagine this sitting on a bench some where... they need to plug the hole in the V2, here snap this off and jam it in that hole

I don’t mean for this to derail starkiller’s thread. I just figure I would share this here, and see what dan and ever other V2 nut thinks about the curvature of the chunk
    From
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 10:45 PM - Re: New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis #50

halliwax said: View Post
    So maybe it’s time for me to share some of my research about the mystery chunk.

I spent a lot of time examining the pictures we have. Some of our best mystery chunk pictures is from “pop culture quest” with mark and Brandon.

I was thinking at first it was just a piece of metal like Brandon said, but a very reliable source told me it’s a found part

So I began digging and digging... I swear in the picture with Hamill Brandon that chunk has lettering on it (which I was proven wrong, but this helped me find what I think is the real chunk)

So first thing I thought was a X,8, or even M or N on the top of the chunk.
    With my dad building race cars I grew up around many steel work tools, and I remember some alphabet stamps and numbers he had to stamp them into the steel. And sure enough the end of the stamps have that same “bevel”

I dug and dug for vintage stamps, that’s when I came across some vintage stamps on a old eBay listing... same color brown too. I don’t have that picture with me now, but I took that listing which had the name of the original company, and googled. It was a German leather tool company, so I googled that. This company has been around since WWI and has been sold to a company in China and they now produce the same tools but in a chrome-y finish

Check these photos out

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...cbb3003a10.jpg

And here is what I believe is the mystery chunk

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1a2c91e197.jpg

Since there was a lot of leather work done in production... I can imagine this sitting on a bench some where... they need to plug the hole in the V2, here snap this off and jam it in that hole

I don’t mean for this to derail starkiller’s thread. I just figure I would share this here, and see what dan and ever other V2 nut thinks about the curvature of the chunk
    Excellent work man! We all thought the chunk was beveled or round or not and this interesting shape would explain the drama.

browninsh metal?