New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis

Glued to the screen today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, there won't be any new updates today. The parts are still at the shop. They have to remake the mystery chunk. Then they will send me all the parts. Then I'll do a comparison to the original, then I'll post the sign up thread with the price and all and start collecting names for the list. It's still a process, but it's moving forward.

Sorry, there won't be any new updates today. The parts are still at the shop. They have to remake the mystery chunk. Then they will send me all the parts. Then I'll do a comparison to the original, then I'll post the sign up thread with the price and all and start collecting names for the list. It's still a process, but it's moving forward.

Thanks dan! Otherwise I would be anxiously sitting here refreshing my screen every 5 seconds lol

It looks so good man!

Is that new parts breakdown based on info about the original we now have? Seems a lot more complicated than the first runs. Cant quote figure out how it all goes together.

Anakin Starkiller
Looks very good.
Your next run will be a super accurate FX version.
Will you do one day also a super accurate 3 pieces/static version?
Thanks for making those runs

Envoyé de mon PLK-L01 en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I didnt realize this was being made with fx in mind, which to me kind of takes away from the authenticity of the way the original would breakdown and how previous runs were built. But I suppose aside from the emitter parts, the main difference is that the booster section separates from the grenade, and overall it would be lighter since its not as thick inside?

Just seems like an odd way to go when other people are doing fx hilts and Starkiller's have always been accuracy first, not hampered by features for fx builds :/

I guess I didnt realize this was being made with fx in mind, which to me kind of takes away from the authenticity of the way the original would breakdown and how previous runs were built. But I suppose aside from the emitter parts, the main difference is that the booster section separates from the grenade, and overall it would be lighter since its not as thick inside?

Just seems like an odd way to go when other people are doing fx hilts and Starkiller's have always been accuracy first, not hampered by features for fx builds :/

As I understand it, external accuracy won't be sacrificed for internal fx capability on this build. As someone who has no interest in fx, I can still see why on his fourth go round with this saber he'd go for fx capability. And it'll still be the most accurate V2 replica ever produced. Best of both worlds.

True, though having the pommel AND booster section open up seems more complicated than what the original would have been built to do. Either way you're right, and the outside does look perfect.

I suppose until the original is ever shown opened up we'll never really know exactly how its assembled.

Another thing I love about this design is say, Brandon comes out with this rumored prop book and there is some major new discovery (which I think the V2 is now sewn up, but anyway) now with this V2 in 4 pieces. Dan can do smaller up graded parts runs

If we find something new with the boosters, bang, he can do a run of boosters and we can all swap them out

I’m not saying dan ever said he would do this. I’m just saying with this being in multiple pieces (modular setup) you can now tweak it in the future very easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I understand it, external accuracy won't be sacrificed for internal fx capability on this build. As someone who has no interest in fx, I can still see why on his fourth go round with this saber he'd go for fx capability. And it'll still be the most accurate V2 replica ever produced. Best of both worlds.

I agree having the best of both worlds. If this iconic piece is sitting up on a stand on your shelf, the only thing anyone looking at it will ever see are the external aesthetics which will be as accurate as the movie prop itself as we know today.

Except for the additional parting lines between the pieces that screw together. I’m getting one either way, but I would rather have an accurate prop replica. That’s what I collect.

Dan knows me and what I’m saying. It’s not a jab at him, this project, or anyone who wants an FX saber. I want the representation of the prop that was used on set as accurate and close to real construction as we can get it based on what we know.

I agree, I’m buying one either way, but I would like an accurate replica more than One designed for FX. FX isn’t really my thing either.

Except for the additional parting lines between the pieces that screw together. I’m getting one either way, but I would rather have an accurate prop replica. That’s what I collect.

Dan knows me and what I’m saying. It’s not a jab at him, this project, or anyone who wants an FX saber. I want the representation of the prop that was used on set as accurate and close to real construction as we can get it based on what we know.

I havent gotten the parts in hand yet. So, please be patient and see how things fit together.

The purpose of this run is to get the most accurate design nailed down. And then, to see if I could get an fx setup working that does not sacrifice accuracy. I think Ive done this. Please let me show you all what Ive come up with.

Im not a fx saber guy myself, and accuracy is always number one with me. Buy fx compatible sabers seem to garner more interest and to do cost effective runs, you need to hit your numbers.

Also, as was mentioned above. We dont actually know how the original broke down. If I had some good shots of the internals, I might have replicated the internal setup. But we dont have that, so why not provide room for electronics if people want that. Making the body one or two pieces is arbitrary in terms or accuracy. We dont know either way whats under the clamp.
As to the emitter, it will weigh the same as the original. And again, we really dont know how many pieces went into the construction.

And Halliwax is right. A more modular design allows for single replacement parts if any new info comes to light.

Not to play devil's advocate, but I think with the combined knowledge of the RPF'ers who've been able to not just hold the real thing, but take a look inside, on top of the information Brandon has divulged about the thing, and the photos he's released of the thing along with the knowledge we already have on the prop; I'm more than confident that with all that combined, we could make a fairly close and accurate replica of the actual thing without everyone needed to have had their grubby mitts on the actual prop.

While technically true we'll probably never know the exact manner in how it was put together, I'd put money on it that we can get damn close.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back