New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis

Here was the image before it was edited in the shop.

Only going to leave this up temporarily, then I’m going to remove the image. Shop owner changed it for a reason, so I don’t want to keep it up for long.

Last edited:
They SURE look like they're copied! I compared them and it looks like a scan and some digital (Photoshop) manipulation for the details to look slightly different. But you can clearly see Trent's version as a base.

I don’t know how they were made, but they all should share some similarities since they are attempting to copy the same thing. I see quite a bit that is different. He could have used Trent’s as a starting point, but it’s clearly also new art.

Attachments

• 33E7E896-F56D-409D-B476-C59DC5E15BB5.jpeg
    33E7E896-F56D-409D-B476-C59DC5E15BB5.jpeg
    926.8 KB · Views: 137
  • CC358597-3972-4586-B20E-61DBEA22DF2D.jpeg
    CC358597-3972-4586-B20E-61DBEA22DF2D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 139
  • FCEAF7AE-7071-4F48-92DB-CC505DEE6E03.jpeg
    FCEAF7AE-7071-4F48-92DB-CC505DEE6E03.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 158
  • 1703CEE0-D390-48A7-ADB4-48435B096238.jpeg
    1703CEE0-D390-48A7-ADB4-48435B096238.jpeg
    929.5 KB · Views: 140
cropped.jpg

(cropped from my illustrator file)

I am the shop owner in question. I drew these, partially in illustrator and photoshop. Yes, I used Trooper Trents as inspiration since I have direct access to a printer and plotter at my work place, but these designs are all mine (and will likely be a bit more difficult to work with than TT's). However, I didn't make the post on the fb page, somone came across it and linked it up.

I've approached Dan about adjusting the template to fit the his run when finished.

However, if anyone feels I am overstepping my bounds, I'll respectfully withdraw my project.

I get the feeling Trent is outta the game on these. I don't see how anybody could take issue with yours if you drew them from the ground up. Plenty of people do runs of the same project here, but if it's all original work then who cares.

View attachment 776208

(cropped from my illustrator file)

I am the shop owner in question. I drew these, partially in illustrator and photoshop. Yes, I used Trooper Trents as inspiration since I have direct access to a printer and plotter at my work place, but these designs are all mine (and will likely be a bit more difficult to work with than TT's). However, I didn't make the post on the fb page, somone came across it and linked it up.

I've approached Dan about adjusting the template to fit the his run when finished.

However, if anyone feels I am overstepping my bounds, I'll respectfully withdraw my project.

Not sure how the designs are all yours since all you did was copy mine and make them more jagged.
That's definitely not the purpose of what I sold these for. Did you buy them from me or from someone else?

I had started gathering resources to potentially make a brand new set of files with more accurate stencils since we have much better, clearer images now.
But if these are readily available and that is what you guys would prefer to use, then let me know before I spend too much time on them.

I just figured that with all the hard work going into making this new V2 super crazy insane accurate, you might want some new stencils to go with it.

Screen Shot 11-26-17 at 08.22 PM.PNG

Last edited:
Thanks for popping in Trent! Good to know you’re thinking of doing a new run.

That new image you added looks wonderful!

Last edited:
Trent you know how I feel, I would love for you to do a gen2 stencil!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know there were some changes on the unibody to make it more accurate. How much has changed or has been improved on this newer one when compared to the unibody.

and yes, I'm fully aware of the number of pieces, and also having the abilities for electronics.

I'm talking about the outside appearance only

There were no design changes from the second run to the unibody.
But this model has been completely rebuilt from scratch and should be the most accurate ever. The emitter dimensions, windvaine diameter and shape, grip profile, booster length, and pommel size have all been tweaked.

I'm currently putting the finishing touches on the design using the feedback I've received since Roy's last comparison photo. Then the 3d model goes to the shop for a quote.

I thought the unibody had changes to the grenade to be less uniform

So this new version will not be close to the unibody then.

Reason I ask is because I spent alot of time on my unibody and added all the mods discovered. But if this is way more accurate then, I may really have to go for this

Looks great.
But why booster looks a bit taller where it meets the clamp, ant the last part or the grenade section also taller than reference overlay?
(sorry if are not the correct words in English but hope you can understand what I want to say)

I've thinned out the emitter plate, and shortened the emitter body just a bit. I also lengthened the grip section and shortened the booster. So that all should be dead on at this point.

I made a couple of mods to the pommel and sent it to Roy to see one more comparison of that part.

I thought the unibody had changes to the grenade to be less uniform

So this new version will not be close to the unibody then.

Reason I ask is because I spent alot of time on my unibody and added all the mods discovered. But if this is way more accurate then, I may really have to go for this

I think you're comparing the unibody to the my first run, which had grips that were more or less evenly spaced due to the machine shop setup.

It's hard for me to explain how close it will be. There are a whole lot of changes, and to some this means a big deal. But many of the changes I'm talking about are matters of around a millimeter, so it will be up to the buyer to determine if it is worth purchasing a whole new saber. I think the biggest change is the emitter, and I planned to offer emitter upgrades for anyone who bought my old sabers. But, some people will want to replace the whole thing to get just that more accurate.

I actually plan on buying this new saber and turning the old 1st run into an ANH stunt with bubbles and a toggle switch. redoing the ol paint job too.

Since this saber is going to be insanely close to the wonky prop, I really want this to be THE V2 in my collection, and a testament to Dan's work (and others that helped)

Not sure how the designs are all yours since all you did was copy mine and make them more jagged.
That's definitely not the purpose of what I sold these for. Did you buy them from me or from someone else?

I had started gathering resources to potentially make a brand new set of files with more accurate stencils since we have much better, clearer images now.
But if these are readily available and that is what you guys would prefer to use, then let me know before I spend too much time on them.

I just figured that with all the hard work going into making this new V2 super crazy insane accurate, you might want some new stencils to go with it.

View attachment 776238

New stencils will be greatly appreciated!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back