Disney in talks to buy Fox studio assets..

I really dont think the reluctance has anything to do with George Lucas at all. If anything, they already "besmirched his vision" by making TFA and TLJ. You could say at least.

As of now, i'm confident we'll never see OOT ever re-released again.

It sounds like Disney will be acquiring all of Fox's IP rights, their catalogue, and the right to use it's various movie companies as production entities, adding them to their own subdivisions. To avoid anti-trust issues I read that most of Fox's entertainment TV properties (Fox the network, Fox the TV studio, etc.) will basically become sole entities-- likely funded by other third parties.

An overall studio like Disney can own individual mini-studios that are set up as divisions with different charters. For example, that's how they can have Lucasfilm, Disney films, Marvel, and Pixar all operate under their own name with their own mission. The various Fox studio entitites will be classified this way.

But you can't quite do that with a TV. Right now anti-trust laws say that a studio can own ONE network broad cast channel, and some odd number (I don't know what) of cable channels under the same banner. Disney already has ABC on the network side, so owning Fox the network isn't allowed. And by that token, they can't have FX, FXX, etc. either.

So it could get even messier when you have IP shared between TV and movies (like they are currently doing with Gifted and Legion being tied to the X-Men universe (sort of).

No word on who will get the physical studio in Century City which has a ton of history attached to it. It's still weird to me that the classic old golden age MGM studio is now the Sony lot.

Last edited:
Well, earlier this year they voted to allow a single company to control nearly all the media in a city essentially blasting various opinions aside. Same company can own multiple affiliates in one city, why not nationally then?

In this case, i doubt it matters. Disney almost certainly didn't want everything they got. They'll keep it if they can, but if not, they keep what they really wanted and sell the rest.

But i'm with Axlotl - it's funny they don't care about important things, but a movie studio they freak out about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course...
If it's big oil, pharmaceuticals, or food, knock yourselves out.
But a movie monopoly? Oh, hell no, we won't stand for that nonsense!
Oh I'm sure Disney will be looking into those endeavors.

Hell, the Sirius/XM thing took over a year if I recall correctly.

Of course...
If it's big oil, pharmaceuticals, or food, knock yourselves out.
But a movie monopoly? Oh, hell no, we won't stand for that nonsense!

I can only try rationalizing it as it being the first step in possibly cracking down on the others...

... but then again, I gotta try and keep from crawling into the bottle somehow.

I can only try rationalizing it as it being the first step in possibly cracking down on the others...

... but then again, I gotta try and keep from crawling into the bottle somehow.

That's funny. They are definitely not cracking down on them. I'll be stunned beyond belief if that happens. We didn't care when it went from 30+ oil companies to 4-5, why should care if gets smaller? It's not a monopoly, it's just aggressive cost cutting :)

It sounds like Disney will be acquiring all of Fox's IP rights, their catalogue, and the right to use it's various movie companies as production entities, adding them to their own subdivisions. To avoid anti-trust issues I read that most of Fox's entertainment TV properties (Fox the network, Fox the TV studio, etc.) will basically become sole entities-- likely funded by other third parties.

An overall studio like Disney can own individual mini-studios that are set up as divisions with different charters. For example, that's how they can have Lucasfilm, Disney films, Marvel, and Pixar all operate under their own name with their own mission. The various Fox studio entitites will be classified this way.

But you can't quite do that with a TV. Right now anti-trust laws say that a studio can own ONE network broad cast channel, and some odd number (I don't know what) of cable channels under the same banner. Disney already has ABC on the network side, so owning Fox the network isn't allowed. And by that token, they can't have FX, FXX, etc. either.

So it could get even messier when you have IP shared between TV and movies (like they are currently doing with Gifted and Legion being tied to the X-Men universe (sort of).

No word on who will get the physical studio in Century City which has a ton of history attached to it. It's still weird to me that the classic old golden age MGM studio is now the Sony lot.

Who will get "New York Street" and the legendary "Royal Diner"? Also known as the building that Ted demolished in HIMYM, and the place where Henry Morgan's...ward ran his antique shop in Forever.

Since Disney now owns Fox, does that mean X-23 from "Logan" is now a Disney princess?

Dunno about that, but I DO know that the Alien queen AND Frank N. Furter are now Disney Queens!

The original ANH is no less historical than Birth of a Nation, or Citizen Kane, or The Wizard of Oz, or Snow White, or 2001:ASO, or JAWS.

It's just wrong on principle that multiple generations of home movie media are passing by without (an unaltered version of) this thing being made available. It's beyond discussions about George Lucas's opinions or Disney's franchise plans. If this were any other movie besides ANH there wouldn't even be a discussion about whether a new high-quality original version is overdue. It is.

The original ANH is no less historical than Birth of a Nation, or Citizen Kane, or The Wizard of Oz, or Snow White, or 2001:ASO, or JAWS.

It's just wrong on principle that multiple generations of home movie media are passing by without (an unaltered version of) this thing being made available. It's beyond discussions about George Lucas's opinions or Disney's franchise plans. If this were any other movie besides ANH there wouldn't even be a discussion about whether a new high-quality original version is overdue. It is.

Absolutely agree with everything you say and I think that`s exactly why you wont see it from Disney any time soon. Why would they want to expose the failings with their own projects by introducing the benchmark to a new audience. I`m sure the damage control dept would advise strongly against it.

ben.jpg

"These arent the films your looking for"..........

Last edited:
Does this open the door to the American Classic "The Star Wars Holiday Special" finally getting a proper blu Ray release?? It is a sin that this timeless piece of Americana, on par with other holiday fare like "It's a Wonderful Life", has been denied the spotlight it deserves.

Malla and Itchy in 4K? I'm there on launch day at the front of line!

Move over George Bailey and "Merry Christmas Bedford Falls"!! Make room for a VERY stoned Carrie Fisher and "Happy Life Day"!!

Last edited:
Does this open the door to the American Classic "The Star Wars Holiday Special" finally getting a proper blu Ray release?? It is a sin that this timeless piece of Americana, on par with other holiday fare like "It's a Wonderful Life", has been denied the spotlight it deserves.

Malla and Itchy in 4K? I'm there on launch day at the front of line!

Move over George Bailey and "Merry Christmas Bedford Falls"!! Make room for a VERY stoned Carrie Fisher and "Happy Life Day"!!

Even this is available in it's unaltered form :facepalm

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if they will finish out the current Marvel MCU movies and then fire up the reboot machine to include all of the former Fox properties or if they'll phase them into the current MCU.

What would you rather see?

It would feel like a betrayal not having RDJ and Evans as Stark and Rogers in the future... but it would be awesome to see the characters in the comic universe the right way in the films. Not having certain "flagship characters" from each series, in my opinion, is definitely a detractor.

What's cool about it is that Disney can afford to pay multiple upper tier actors to be in one movies as has been very clean in the current MCU.

I wouldn't hold out for crossovers like Wolverine vs. Predator or a Buzz Lightyear / Colonial Marine team-up.

The potential for new theme parks already seems to have exceeded their ability to build. I'm sure Disney World still wants to keep as much of their parks as in the same chuck of real estate so they are probably limited in how many new parks they can build but a full-sized MCU park or a Alien / Predator thing.

Right now it feels like it's mainly driven by the comic book properties because they're such huge cash cows.

I guess time will tell'

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back