Disney in talks to buy Fox studio assets..

ocp-1200x1200.png

I'll be honest, the biggest reason I hope this ends up happening is not because of the X-Men. I more or less like the eleven films they've had so far and rebooting the Mutants seems like a bit of a wet slap. But there's so much more that I want to see that's wrapped up with the rights package that hasn't really been touched by Fox and that would dovetail nicely with a lot of what the MCU is evolving. Captain Britain, Merlyn, Roma, Saturnyne, Longshot... All the magical and interdimensional stuff. Limbo, Mephisto, N'astirh, Belasco... And maybe visit some of the unused (or revisit some of the lesser used) mutants -- and be able to use the word. Dazzler, Mr. Sinister... Maybe cold-start an alternate take on the X-Men with the Summers' plane getting messed up by the Shi'ar and a young Scott and Alex being pushed out. Set the stage for stuff to happen after a bit more time has passed for a reboot to be more organic. Especially given the various X-Men timelines, even within their own continuity -- not even getting into the question of Ultimate or not.

--Jonah

Can someone explain to me how fox has kept the original trilogy this whole time?

Does fox own the OT or just ANH?

I know fox backed Lucas for ANH but didn’t know they backed him for the rest of the trilogy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can someone explain to me how fox has kept the original trilogy this whole time?

Does fox own the OT or just ANH?

I know fox backed Lucas for ANH but didn’t know they backed him for the rest of the trilogy

Fox and LF partnered for distribution of the OT.

As I understand it:

Fox: Owns the distribution rights to ANH, lock, stock, and barrel. Holds a license to the distro rights to ESB and ROTJ until 2020, when they revert to LFL/Disney.

Disney: Owns all the actual intellectual property itself (PT, OT, and ST). Meaning that Disney can opt to do a rescan of the OT, if they want, or can do a "Han Shoots First" version, or can do a version where every character is replaced by Jar Jar. Bryancd can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Disney now owns the distro rights to the PT (and obviously the ST). I think the PT reverted a few years ago. Or if it didn't, it's set to do so soon.

Distribution rights are basically exactly what it sounds like: you get to distribute the film. Meaning you get to do all the DVD/Blu-ray releases, you get to control theatrical re-releases in terms of where/what theaters get the film, and you get the money from that (or share it with LFL/Disney). But you don't get any of the rights to things like, say, licensing the material to EA to make Battlefront 2, or to a mobile company to do Star Wars Force Commander or whatever. Those are tied to the IP itself, and LFL/Disney owns that.

Ok, so, basically, all of this ties back to one of the favorite topics on this board: when/if we'll ever get a non-SE version of the OT, at modern resolutions.

And the answer is.......possibly never, but definitely not before 2020. Why? Because Fox owns the distro rights, and LFL/Disney has no real incentive to pay to get them back when they can just wait til 2020 and get them for free. Except that they'll only get ESB and ROTJ. They'll still have to pay for ANH.

The reason why this deal is attractive for Star Wars fans is that it would effectively recapture ALL of those rights in one fell swoop, which would remove one of the impediments for Disney doing the non-SE release on home media.

Whether they'd actually do that afterwards would, at least, be more of a matter of speculation and guesswork at LFL/Disney's desire to do so and the value of doing so, without concern for the legalities involved in doing so.

Last edited by a moderator:
If FOX were smart they would sell the rights now. ANH is a depreciating asset.
I've noticed there are less and less of us left now for whom the OT had such an impact upon its release ,so its inevitable that there will be a reducing section of the fandom market that held it in such high esteem .
The up and coming generations are more likely to mark the newer films as benchmarks, as Disney and Lucasfilm release more and more in the SW series, both closer to and further away from the OT,so its inevitable its scale of importance is going to drop off.
Nothing can replace my admiration and love of the OT, but parts of it are looking creaky, not surprising in a movie thats forty years old .And as much as I felt disappointed by the prequels I know many people didn't and certainly whilst I strongly disliked elements of TFA, I don't believe "The Last Jedi" will fail me in the same manner.
Given the competition amoungst the digital formats for our attention, something has got to give. Most kids seem more interested in social media and on line gaming than the old traditional entertainment formats, which was why I admired KK for at least trying to open the SW universe to a different range of fandom by introducing Rey to increase the audiences.

Thanks for all the great info guys! I understand now, here’s hoping they can make a deal with ANH... and we get the unaltered trilogy sometime soon...

If FOX were smart they would sell the rights now. ANH is a depreciating asset.
I've noticed there are less and less of us left now for whom the OT had such an impact upon its release ,so its inevitable that there will be a reducing section of the fandom market that held it in such high esteem .
The up and coming generations are more likely to mark the newer films as benchmarks, as Disney and Lucasfilm release more and more in the SW series, both closer to and further away from the OT,so its inevitable its scale of importance is going to drop off.
Nothing can replace my admiration and love of the OT, but parts of it are looking creaky, not surprising in a movie thats forty years old .And as much as I felt disappointed by the prequels I know many people didn't and certainly whilst I strongly disliked elements of TFA, I don't believe "The Last Jedi" will fail me in the same manner.
Given the competition amoungst the digital formats for our attention, something has got to give. Most kids seem more interested in social media and on line gaming than the old traditional entertainment formats, which was why I admired KK for at least trying to open the SW universe to a different range of fandom by introducing Rey to increase the audiences.

Yes, I have been saying for a while ANH is not an evergreen product, it’s one with diminishing returns.

I agree that Fox should sell ANH right now.

ANH's value probably didn't have a 'peak' so much as a long plateau with some bumps & dips. It still has a lot of value but it probably will go down from here.

What is "Gone with the Wind" worth now? There was a time when it was the same kind of cornerstone of the whole culture.

I don't know how many folks here also frequent reddit, but it's been eye-opening for me with regards to discussions of Star Wars Battlefront 2 (a video game, if you haven't heard of it). Setting aside all the controversy that's surrounded the game, there seems to be a very vocal, fairly large group of people who pretty much are only interested in prequel-era stuff. They view Anakin as the "main character" of the entire Star Wars saga (or at least, Eps. I-VI), they don't really care about the OT or its heroes, and they think the Clone Wars was the Star Warsiest that Star Wars ever Star Warsed.

For me, this has been the clearest example of something that Bryancd has discussed: Star Wars, for many people, isn't the OT. They don't care about whether Han shot first, they may never have even seen the OOT, and they've grown up in a world where Star Wars has always had 6 films to it. Moreover, they grew up with regular episodes of The Clone Wars cartoon, with which they became far more connected than the prequel films themselves. Having watched a bit of the Clone Wars cartoon myself, I have to say that I can sort of understand the appeal. The show's a lot of fun and, to my way of thinking, is much more of what I'd wished the films had been. The films themselves are an afterthought by comparison with the show, at least in terms of defining story and characters. The end result is exactly what Bryan's been saying: as a property, ANH-ROTJ has a value that diminishes over time, and the OOT itself isn't really on the radar screen for a whole lot of people.

There are still plenty of older fans out there, and many who would buy an OOT even at a high price, but Star Wars has grown exponentially beyond the original three films, and is poised to grow even farther. That means that there's a gradually closing window of opportunity for Disney to really capitalize on the OT in a way that will have major impact on the market. Short of format changes for home video that inspire people to "upgrade" their copies of a given film, there may well be a kind of market saturation with the OT. Throughout the early 2000s and 2010s, you had two big home media releases, on DVD (later with a "laserdisc rip" copy of the OOT), and again on Blu-Ray. Those discs are still available today. Disney knows what their sales figures look like. So, unless they rerelease on 4K or 3D or whathaveyou....who's gonna buy 'em? If you already bought a copy of the blu-rays in 2012, or any time since then, are you gonna pony up for the OOT discs? Especially if you're one of these kids who thinks the whole story is about Anakin and he's the "main character"? Maybe, but....maybe not.

Side note: It's been really interesting seeing some of the fan reaction against the new trilogy, too. As much as you see people complaining here that it's just a rehash of ANH, Rey is a Mary Sue, blah blah blah, over there the complaint is much more about how shafted the Clone Wars era stuff has been, and how the market seems to be so heavily catering to the "OG" crowd. There's a real sense of bitterness that I pick up on from time to time, which actually reminds me a lot about how I felt in my misspent youth when the prequels were still relatively new properties, and it seemed like all of Star Wars had suddenly abandoned everything I enjoyed about it. Kinda makes me wonder if this process will be cyclical over time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there is a profound misconception amongst many PT fans that Lucasfilm is trying to marganlize that entire era. It’s simply not true, Disney owns the PT and it has a tremendous amount of IP value.

I think there is a profound misconception amongst many PT fans that Lucasfilm is trying to marganlize that entire era. It’s simply not true, Disney owns the PT and it has a tremendous amount of IP value.
It's not that different from the OT experience when the PT came out. All the ancillary product shifts to the new thing and it's EVERYWHERE. If you don't like it or think "your" era was better, it ruffles your feathers (at a minimum).

The new trilogy also ties directly into the old one, and I get the sense that Disney has opted to target two demographic blocs with it: new young fans, and their parents -- the OT fans. So the PT folks, around whom Star Wars has orbited for their entire lives prior to this, are left feeling as if they don't matter anymore, which is jarring and off putting.

I dunno. I think there's something about the cycle of life and metaphors and such mixed into all of this. I'll post more about that later.

Anyway, I agree that the PT still has great financial value as evidenced by the continued presence of it in Star Wars product. It's just not the focus anymore, and that's fine. One of the things I'm most enjoying about the franchise these days is that it's got a little something for everyone now. It's not a "my era vs your era" thing anymore. Maybe that's just my own experience of it, but it seems like the franchise now caters to a wide and varied audience by offering a range of stories in different times, and with different vibes to em.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If Disney ends up with majority ownership of Hulu, how does that impact their plans for their own streaming services?

It doesn’t change anything. It’s like FaceBook buying Instagram. It gives Disney a major leg up in the over the top DTC media model.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back