Disney in talks to buy Fox studio assets..

I don't want one dimensional X-Men villains who are killed off before they use their full potential. Logan, Deadpool, Legion, and New Mutants are going in a new direction that makes the mutants grounded and believeable. I don't want bright costumes and full humor (even if we get accurate costumes). Plus recasting all mutants seems to be a big hurdle, unless they keep the current actors and only intervene in the next 3-5 years or so. I don't like Disney monopolizing and milking every property we can think of, foX-Men is doing fine and has improved over the years, I can't see Disney doing the films with the same tone and gravity they have been doing. Just my thoughts.

At least in terms of SW, you'd think Fox would make more selling it back than in holding onto it. Disney isn't going to authorize anything new for them so it's seems like the only move they have left. Marvel would likely be harder you'd think now the Homecoming was a success and they'll have returns from CW and IW/IW2 as well, not to mention at least 2 more stand alone flicks - if not more. Not to mention their success with X-Men.

Yeah I posted about this in the 'MCU post Infinity War' thread. https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/06/21s...o-sell-most-of-company-to-disney-sources.html

They've been discussing it for a solid hour now on CNBC, not much mention about our interests, its all about global distribution and scale. Fox doesn't think it can grow into the scale to put up a fight against the likes of Netflix so they're considering selling to Disney which can. The fact that its about the nuts and bolts of business and not about IP squabbles is probably the best news for the hopes of bringing content back together.

Fox would keep their sports, news, and local broadcasting affiliates.

Wonder where Uncle George is sunning himself today!

Ya gotta love it!

I know he does!!

That's what it's showing now.

My guess is it isn't dead - but Fox didn't like the price and is either shopping around or thinking it over. If the original article is right, that is. From what it said, you don't shop the whole basic shebang if you think you can make a go of it. It seemed to indicate they wanted to focus on the core of sports/tv and give up the movie biz.

Thanks for this news.
So are you saying that if this deal were to go through, then that could open up the possibility of unaltered releases of the star wars OT? I thought kathleen Kennedy said that LFL is honoring George lucas' wishes to not rerelease the unaltered OT. Did the article mention otherwise? I didn't see the article until now so I'm not aware of any earlier tidbits that may have been edited out.
Also, Disney would prefer to buy a la carte entertainment licenses from Fox, but it looks like Fox wants to unload their entire IP library. Otherwise, Fox would be left trying to sell their less popular IP without the lure of the big name IP.
If that happens then you could see unaltered OT realses. And a shared Avatar/Star Wars film universe. ;)

Thanks for this news.
So are you saying that if this deal were to go through, then that could open up the possibility of unaltered releases of the star wars OT? I thought kathleen Kennedy said that LFL is honoring George lucas' wishes to not rerelease the unaltered OT. Did the article mention otherwise? I didn't see the article until now so I'm not aware of any earlier tidbits that may have been edited out.
Also, Disney would prefer to buy a la carte entertainment licenses from Fox, but it looks like Fox wants to unload their entire IP library. Otherwise, Fox would be left trying to sell their less popular IP without the lure of the big name IP.

KK said that there would be no more alterations to the films.......that doesn't rule out releasing un-altered versions

'
I'd love it if the Marvel characters were under one roof.....Imagine 'Hulk Smash' & 'It's Clobbering Time' in one movie

65770-thing_vs_hulk.jpg

J

Actually, I'm not certain she said that. Kennedy actually said that there would be no further alterations to Lucas' final versions - i.e., LFL wouldn't cut the films back to the original states. The exact quote from Kennedy is as follows with respect to the OT: “I wouldn’t touch those, are you kidding me? [laughs] Those will always remain his.”

That said, Kennedy could change her mind, or a new head of LFL could come into power.

KK said that there would be no more alterations to the films.......that doesn't rule out releasing un-altered versions

'
I'd love it if the Marvel characters were under one roof.....Imagine 'Hulk Smash' & 'It's Clobbering Time' in one movie

https://headsup.boyslife.org/files/2013/02/65770-thing_vs_hulk.jpg

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I'm not certain she said that. Kennedy actually said that there would be no further alterations to Lucas' final versions - i.e., LFL wouldn't cut the films back to the original states. The exact quote from Kennedy is as follows with respect to the OT: “I wouldn’t touch those, are you kidding me? [laughs] Those will always remain his.”

That said, Kennedy could change her mind, or a new head of LFL could come into power.

What they would be doing is a restoration, not an alteration.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think from Kennedy's point of view it's an alteration, because she would be altering Lucas' latest vision. Either way, we're getting into semantics here. There are plenty of articles surmising that Kennedy's current intention is not to alter the last versions of the OT in order to restore the original versions.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04...iginal-version-of-the-first-star-wars-trilogy

If Disney were to purchase Fox Studios, it would allow Disney to release the OT and PT on blu-ray, theaters, etc. before 2020. It would also allow Disney to own ANH outright. However, this potential purchase is a separate matter from restoring the original versions of the OT. It would still be up to LFL and Kennedy to decide if they wanted to restore the original versions.

What they would be doing is a restoration, not an alteration.

- - - Updated - - -

that would be nice. The Roger Corman version was arguably more entertaining than the Josh Trank one.

Guys, we are missing the most important benefit to this...

We can get a Fantastic Four movie to wipe away the stain away from the last travesty.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back