Disney in talks to buy Fox studio assets..

No, the assumption is only 5% of the age group 30-60. That's hardly the "average person".

Okay, but within that 5% you have to determine who is a big enough fan to want to buy another boxed set, cause if they would buy a new version then they likely already have bought one previous.

Of that five percent, who cares enough about the unaltered OT and also would buy another set. Also consider anyone that obsessed has likely checked out the Adywan or Despecialized fan cuts.

That number of people doesn’t make up enough for cost of doing the restoration work, producing a release, and marketing it— not when they can spend zero money and continue to make money on what is already out there.

If it were viable some bean counter at Fox or Disney with access to better data metrics than us would have made it happen.

Last edited:
I don't expect them to go to the effort for mere bonus material, but I still hope in my heart of hearts for a selectable/programmable "branching" version on one of the discs that lets the viewer pick and choose which original, which cut, and which Special Edition scenes to include or exclude. Bonus points if LFL has some sort of contest to see which version(s) are the most popular.

--Jonah

Most of that demographic likely already own a copy of the film. So now your addressable market isn’t that age group, it’s specifically people in that age group willing to spend money to buy something for all intents and purposes they already have.

I think the only way you'd get enough sales is with a huge advertising campaign explaining the differences. Quite honestly, though, i'm not even that would make a huge difference, plus it'd cost a lot which pushes the cost of issuing them even higher.

I'm not going to argue the changes don't make a difference at all, of course they do. But i think it'd be a huge task to sell enough copies when 95% of the film is identical and only 1% reverts back to the 'original cut'. People don't wanna spend another $50 for something that's 5% different. Not in general.

The cheapest way would be digital distribution only...And i'm not buying digital only.

I think the only way you'd get enough sales is with a huge advertising campaign explaining the differences. Quite honestly, though, i'm not even that would make a huge difference, plus it'd cost a lot which pushes the cost of issuing them even higher.

I'm not going to argue the changes don't make a difference at all, of course they do. But i think it'd be a huge task to sell enough copies when 95% of the film is identical and only 1% reverts back to the 'original cut'. People don't wanna spend another $50 for something that's 5% different. Not in general.

The cheapest way would be digital distribution only...And i'm not buying digital only.

Like I️ said above, digital release just using the laser disc version they already released on DVD and call I‎t a day.

You know what they should do? Make an online store front with every Star Wars asset every available ala cart. Film takes, CGI models, FX shots, sound effects, plates, green screen elements, music-- everything you'd need to make your own movies from scratch. Go iTunes style-- charge a few bucks per element.

As an artist, and a fan of art history and popular culture (and cinema), it's my opinion that Disney/LFL/Fox have a RESPONSIBILITY to restore Star Wars to it's original incarnation, regardless of cost. It's culturally significant, gorrammit!

Maybe they're just waiting 'til Ol' George kicks the bucket, so as not to offend him.
I say to hell with that. He didn't think twice about offending us with those wretched Special Additions...
Heck, some of his additions are obvious thinly veiled middle-fingers to his fans.

@Bryancd @SethS

Except these big fans don't own an official restored HD version, and likely ditched their SDTVs, so they'll buy another. And that 5% is the group likely to repurchase. I literally state that. Because the general audience is a lot larger than just 6 million people 30-60.

TFA did about $936 million domestic. That's over 100,000,000 tickets sold $9 a ticket (a little over average US ticket price). Just for a perspective on possible general audience size in the US alone.

Then there is marketing and advertising for people who don't know they wanted it until they saw it. Disney could easily swoop in and get a lot of general audience purchases there.

And this laserdisc plan still makes no sense. These 4k resto's are cheap enough they can just make one for production people to take notes apparently. According to that Rian Johnson interview.

@Tan Djarka
While the prequels, ESB, and ROTJ revert in 2020, Fox still retains ANH rights forever. That's one of the things at stake here.

Last edited:
@MrSouthpaw you initially posited this was a “billions” dollar opportunity. Then after some quick math you ascribed a $500M windfall
to be realized by reissuing a 40 year old film that has been in circulation almost constantly since 1979 or so and in various iterations and formats. You want a release of a version of the print that no single fan can agree is the “official” original release as I‎t has been changed starting half way through its initial theatrical run. So we have a ubiquitous film product owned by everyone, no consensus as to what constitutes the original release, no consensus on the format or level of restoration, and you expect I‎t to bring in $500M?

This is clearly one of those internet “I will never admit I was wrong about any thing ever” arguments, plus it’s moot because the talks have actually been dead for months... so I’m out!

This is clearly one of those internet “I will never admit I was wrong about any thing ever” arguments, plus it’s moot because the talks have actually been dead for months... so I’m out!

Actually, I think there's a chance it may still happen. It would increase the amount of content they could have for their streaming service.

Last edited:
@MrSouthpaw you initially posited this was a “billions” dollar opportunity. Then after some quick math you ascribed a $500M windfall
to be realized by reissuing a 40 year old film that has been in circulation almost constantly since 1979 or so and in various iterations and formats. You want a release of a version of the print that no single fan can agree is the “official” original release as I‎t has been changed starting half way through its initial theatrical run. So we have a ubiquitous film product owned by everyone, no consensus as to what constitutes the original release, no consensus on the format or level of restoration, and you expect I‎t to bring in $500M?

It clearly states "And this is just the US." concerning those figures. Did you know the Earth is populated by some 6.2 billion other people who aren't living in the US?

BTW, is there some reason you aren't addressing the fact that they already whipped up a 4k version of ANH for production to notes according to Rian Johnson? You know, the guy who just got a deal for 3 Star Wars movies. Is it because it counters the notion that these are expensive or troublesome to make?

@SethS
Implying the other party lost the argument on your way out......:rolleyes

It clearly states "And this is just the US." concerning those figures. Did you know the Earth is populated by some 6.2 billion other people who aren't living in the US?

BTW, is there some reason you aren't addressing the fact that they already whipped up a 4k version of ANH for production to notes according to Rian Johnson? You know, the guy who just got a deal for 3 Star Wars movies. Is it because it counters the notion that these are expensive or troublesome to make?

@SethS
Implying the other party lost the argument on your way out......:rolleyes

See post at top of page please, this has already been vetted. It's the SE that was upgraded to 4K. Anything else?

Member SinceMar 2017FromNYCMessages175
sm_album.png

1 Day Ago Nov 8, 2017, 8:52 PM - Re: Disney in talks to buy Fox studio assets..
I remember seeing an article several months ago confirming that the 4k scan was of the later special editions, and not the OOT. So, have these articles been debunked?

EDIT.
Actually, BryanCD posted these two links early this year:
http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my...5QL20.facebook

http://furiousfanboys.com/2017/02/23...ibly-debunked/

and then there's Pablo Hidalgo's tweet (take from i​

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish I could insert the popcorn eating gif right about now.

I for one totally think this deal is NOT going to happen. It would be cool.. and sure, it would open up a lot of hypothetical options but right now they are just that... hypothetical. Don't get the arguments over what is at this point just a rumor.. and a rumor of a DEAD deal at that..

Yes, it would make sense to have ready the version they can legally sell this year. And your article says Disney has all the material for the OOT. That would be even easier to put back together since they don't need to deal with all the additions.

The point being. They don't need to copy a LD to DVD.

And OOPS. I meant Gareth Edwards. Gareth Edwards confirmed seeing a 4k ANH, not Johnson...lol. I keep thinking about that weird deal. A whole trilogy.

On the subject of Gareth Edwards seeing a new 4K scan:

Disney is big on archiving/restoring/preserving all their stuff. In the long term they probably plan to 4k scan everything they got in the Lucasfilm deal. The fact that they scanned ANH in the last year or two doesn't necessarily signal any new commercial release plans at all.

On the subject of Gareth Edwards seeing a new 4K scan:

Disney is big on archiving/restoring/preserving all their stuff. In the long term they probably plan to 4k scan everything they got in the Lucasfilm deal. The fact that they scanned ANH in the last year or two doesn't necessarily signal any new commercial release plans at all.

There was a scan done in 2012 at 4K, while Lucas was still there, probably done for the intended 3D release

J

It seems like if Fox wants to unload it's film and TV stuff it would be a no-brainer to sell Disney their share of ANH's rights. They could name their price. Disney doesn't have to buy the lion's share, just that one.

Then again, if Fox is counting on that and saying it's all or nothing, and somebody else comes in interested, that could make for a bidding war.

In a decade there's going to be three companies that own everything.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back