Fallout New Vegas NCR Ranger Helmet Build

MR_Adrian

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey everybody I just wanted to share my current project, which is finishing this Fallout helmet. I've got plenty of other projects I'm working on currently as well, most of them smaller, I will share those later. The goal of this helmet will be to make it as realistic of an interpretation I can, using lights and other various real bits to add details to the helmet. Currently I am just finishing the 3D print, (which has been taking forever), and will soon start working on painting and adding details. Then I will need to figure out the the electronics. So here is where I am at, I will do my best to keep this thread updated. I look forward to being part of the community!

Looking good.
I have a 'started' pepakura one, that fell to the back of the pile, and deserves to be continued at some point. Will watch your build with interest.

I made a little more progress today, I decided I was ok with the finish and that I would start laying on some paint. I started with some silver as a base coat, which scared me a little because it highlighted a lot of imperfections, but those kinda of blended in once I used the dark green. So I masked little areas of the silver with some toothpaste to create a paint chipping effect then I sprayed the whole thing in dark green. I think it came out pretty well, but it still has many layers and layers of painting and weathering to go.

Very cool. I've never heard of using tooth paste as masking before, but it certainly looks like it worked great.

Where did you find the 3D file for download/purchase? Or did you design that helmet yourself? It looks awesome.

The files I found on MyMiniFactory I believe, they did a great job! My 3D modeling skills don't even come close yet!

So I did some more painting/weathering, I'm pretty happy with where the helmet is at, now to start adding all the details and then electronics. I am really happy with how I gave it a dusty, rusted look in some places. It just so happened I also had another project I was doing where I had to weather a wooden bench, and I was going to use a technique where you make your own stain by putting some steel wool in white vinegar, I didn't realize I had to let it sit for a few days and I didn't have that kind of time, so I pulled the steel wool out after about an hour and put it aside. It started rusting and crumbling so I decided to rub it all over the helmet, and, it worked! little bits stuck here and there and it looks quite nice. The pictures don't quite do it justice.

Got a little more done on this thing today! Still need to add some more details, then the electronics and padding inside.

Last edited:
So I got excited so I decided to try on the helmet with the armor, should I start a costume build thread? Or can I change the title for this one? I want to document the rest of the costume build as well.

P.S. I think the reason my head looks a little bigger in the photo because of the way I took the photo.

That thing looks great! How long was the print time? (sorry if that was already mentioned - I didn't see it at a glance)

Thank you! It took about a week and half on and off printing and a failed print

P.S. Just noticed you are a fellow Georgian, hello from Dacula!

Gotcha. One I made had a few layers of tinted plastic film (the stuff live theater uses to change the color of spot lights). But the layered aspect makes it foggy to start with, and breathing in the helmet only makes it worse.

Yea another problem I failed to mention is the fact that the plexiglass itself had a sorta hazy/frosty finish to it to begin with, and I had to clear it up with a torch and I didn't do a perfect job on one of the lenses. How many layers of gels did you use? Also, I will be using a fan to help with the fogging in my helmet.

I think I had to use three layers to get a lens I could still see through, but that wouldn't give someone looking at me a good view of my eyes. I've got a few things planned, like trying some divers mask "wax", to trying to mold some lenses the way they do for storm trooper helmets and such. Mine is just a facemask with elastic bands to hold it on my head, while I use an aircraft carrier helmet as the rest of the get up, so the fan isn't really an option for that one specifically.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back