POTA inspired ape head

GoodToBeDad

This is my second attempt working with latex. I'm pleased with how this turned out. I'm having a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to whatever I create next.

ape-front.jpgape-side.jpg

I love the mottling and the sculpt itself looks great! I'd say you're off to a great start if this is your second time working with latex.

Are you keeping the mouth static or do you have plans in mind? I imagine you've seen it already, but if not you should check out Adam's Moonwatcher for ideas on animating the mouth. The way the lips pull back is really amazing and could work well for you.

I love the mottling and the sculpt itself looks great! I'd say you're off to a great start if this is your second time working with latex.

Are you keeping the mouth static or do you have plans in mind? I imagine you've seen it already, but if not you should check out Adam's Moonwatcher for ideas on animating the mouth. The way the lips pull back is really amazing and could work well for you.

Thanks for the link - I hadn't seen that video. That is very similar to how Stan Winston controlled the lips in Planet of the Apes. My mask is made of latex. It doesn't flex like silicone does. I'm going to have to step up soon so that I can do cool things like that.

Thanks for the link - I hadn't seen that video. That is very similar to how Stan Winston controlled the lips in Planet of the Apes. My mask is made of latex. It doesn't flex like silicone does. I'm going to have to step up soon so that I can do cool things like that.

You're most welcome for the link! Unless I'm way off my mark though, I don't think Winston was attached to the PotA movies in any way. You're likely thinking of John Chambers. In fact that's what got Chambers his award in '68, which is the same year Stuart Freeborn was responsible for same ape snarl effect in 2001: A Space Odyssey... Which brings us full circle!

I look forward to seeing you stepping it up to silicone and playing with animatronics, definitely share what you come up with.

I think Stan Winston was doing some pre-production work for an Oliver Stone PoTA that never ended up being filmed. There is a Stan Winston documentary in which he talks about the lip snarl thing that he thought of while lying in bed one night. It's too bad that his apes never made it on film. I really like the way they looked.

I think Stan Winston was doing some pre-production work for an Oliver Stone PoTA that never ended up being filmed. There is a Stan Winston documentary in which he talks about the lip snarl thing that he thought of while lying in bed one night. It's too bad that his apes never made it on film. I really like the way they looked.

Aha, interesting story there. One of the many things I love about the RPF is that you learn new industry tidbits all the time.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back