Blade Runner Blaster Functionality?

How about this one?
maxresdefault.jpg

Maybe the top part is some kind of immobilizer/non-lethal crowd control. A taser of sorts, but fires a pacifying energy burst like what's seen in Star Wars. One has to cock (with that pesky bolt) it to charge it. The front of the Mannlicher receiver does look a bit like some kind of emitter, rather than a traditional barrel.

bladerunner-blaster-thumb-550x377-16159.png

Regarding the capacity, eh, mine's definitely a revolver (that is, once I print mine).

What were some of the other ideas regarding the capacity? :)

If we want to bother going back to original source material "Do Androids Dream..." There was a mention of Deckard having a device that would immobilize any "Andy" within a small vicinity. Sooo, I suppose it's plausible that the receiver could have some kind of tazer-like beam that could temporarily disable a replicant, it would theoretically use the charging handle, second trigger to fire, and ammo housing as battery pack.

Yay. I'm content to the lengths of my curiosity, in 24 hours, everyone helped me figure it out. Thank you to all who helped.

This is here mostly for my own reference, as my mind goes a million miles a minute, I'm libel to forget something:

The Pflager-Katsumada Series D Blaster is available in several civilian models (because as a "Series," wouldn't there be more than one?), and the BR Special, reserved for Law Enforcement.
Chambered for 11mm rounds.
The Civilian versions are also electromagnetically enhanced, but not to the extent as the BR Special, just enough to increase accuracy. (The BR Special's Electromagnets not only increase accuracy, but speed and power as well, not to mention explosive headed rounds.)
The Civilian versions don't have the "Sonic Shock" (taser-esque, borrowing the name from a different idea of someone else's) feature, and the bolt is just to charge the magnetic assist. No battery pack either, just a removable hollow chamber to store more rounds.
Electromagnetic Housing (Rifle Receiver) built by Steyr-Daimler-Puch for PKC (thus explaining those markings).

(But don't stop here, I like to hear everyone's versions/opinions :))

Even updated my poster to accommodate my changes in ideas and perceptions about it.

PKC idea as a company and the appropriate logo shamelessly borrowed from Rick Ross' website. But it's ok, as long as it's all good fun, right? And I don't intend on selling any blasters under the PKC name, I'm not like that.

Brownie points if you figure out what all the Model Names mean. :D

But who knows, I may change this all yet again...

Last edited:
In relation to the gun where any of you guys also disappointed with it's SFX in BR2049? I always loved how powerful but unique the gun sounded in the final cut. But apparently Denis didn't care for it and instead used the sound of a Barrett .50 rifle which made the gun sound like any other movie gun.

Last edited:
I've never personally interpreted the bolt lever as a bolt lever but as some kind of latch lever to access the inside of the gun. Pop it up, and you can pull off the side plates in order to...who knows. Reload? Clean it? Whatever?

If the gun uses a railgun system for accelerating the slugs, the functionality of the bolt handle could be to open a dust cover that gives access to the electromagnetic rails above the barrel. As to the ammo, if its a railgun, you wouldn't need casings and powder, just a disposable magazine that has simple ball bearing slugs, then when spent, the whole magazine is ejected and replaced with a new one. That would account for more than six shots, but given the fact the barrel is a 44, I doubt you'd get more than 10 shots out of a magazine.

If the revolver cylinder is acting more as a magazine for .44spl slugs stacked front to back you could conceivably store more than 10, maybe on the order of 15-20?

I agree with your ddspike22. I wish they had used the original sound fx. It does sound "bigger" in 2049 though.

Last edited:
This is getting curiouser and curiouser.

I must have some kind of deja vu, because I vividly remember seeing a shot of Deckard reloading, but can't think of where I would have seen it, as I don't think I've ever seen the foreign theatrical cut (even though I could, as I've got the big mongo fiver).

I also heard that lack of sleep can cause false memories, so maybe that's it. :p

This is getting curiouser and curiouser.

I must have some kind of deja vu, because I vividly remember seeing a shot of Deckard reloading, but can't think of where I would have seen it, as I don't think I've ever seen the foreign theatrical cut (even though I could, as I've got the big mongo fiver).

I also heard that lack of sleep can cause false memories, so maybe that's it. :p

The first screening in San Diego in 82 attended by Ford I think had some differences in it, my friend was there and he remembered some odd things,
I don't recall what they were right now.

I was in a discussion once with someone that swore without doubt he saw an extra scene at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark showing the numbers painted on the fresh crate burning off like the swastika in the ship. So yeah that happens too.

Except I'm 21, and in no way could have made it to the screening in 82. :unsure

Yeah that would make it unlikely. Unless you have a highly modified DeLorean.

IMDB has this entry..............
In the San Diego sneak preview version of the film, exhibited only once in May 1982, there are three unique shots which are nowhere to be found in any other version, including the "Workprint". One shot is from the introduction of Roy Batty, displaying a full-body shot of him inside the VidPhon booth, another is of Deckard feebly attempting to reload his weapon after Batty has broken his fingers, and the last one is a high-angled shot of Deckard and Rachael's ride into the sunset.
------------

So it seems to exist. Or did exist.
Or is it all just implanted memory?
Perhaps watching a film really is a sort of implanted memory right? ;)

I like to think of it as some kind of shotgun cartridge-like stun round (for those light of heart Blade Runners), with, as many of the people on this thread have said, electric charging system or whatever in the magazine.

Yeah that would make it unlikely. Unless you have a highly modified DeLorean.

IMDB has this entry..............
In the San Diego sneak preview version of the film, exhibited only once in May 1982, another is of Deckard feebly attempting to reload his weapon after Batty has broken his fingers.
------------

So it seems to exist. Or did exist.
Or is it all just implanted memory?
Perhaps watching a film really is a sort of implanted memory right? ;)

I have to go with implant.

1982, was in San Diego and I do remember Decker trying to reload his blaster but oddly I don't remember attending a pre-screening of Blade Runner.

The only movie pre-screening I recall is Big Trouble in Little China.

I think it was mentioned in Future Noir as well. I imagine it would have played either right before or after Deckard resets his mangled digits, there seems to be a bit of a jump cut in that sequence. But, the Propsummit thread seems to put the question to bed. Which is fine, gives us the freedom to invent our own theories.

Last edited:
Well, I just put the first batch of parts in the que at my local 3D printer lab. Should have them in a week and a half or so.

Also made these little diagrams from a manual, for my version of the gun.

"Martian Glass" is jut my little addition to the gun's mythos. A very sturdy and tough material, like plexiglass, but made from materials found in the off-world colonies, namely, Mars, which give it a few advantages over earthly counterparts. One is color, two is that, much like copper, through natural touch it releases chemicals into your body that reduce arthritis in the hands.

Last edited:
Here's a something to fuel the speculation :p

In the shooting script, after Deckard retires Pris, he reloads with a plug-in 'cassette' . Also of note is that the script actually refers to the gun as a blaster, a term I'd assumed had only been applied to it in the wake of prop replicas. It's not in the the early Fancher draft, so I guess Peoples was a Star Wars fan.

Deckard also has a backup blaster strapped to his leg, which is the gun Rachel uses to air Leon.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back