Red 6 Pyro build

DCrowe

Hi All! Diving into the studio scale X-Wing world and did a lot or reading and researching here. I really wanted to build a Red 6 pyro after realizing how unique its design was. I love the put-together look and multi-colored panels. It has the "Rat-Rod" look that I love in the car world. Not a lot of them out there so I decided to tackle it. I acquired the Mark Worley ICONS reworked Pyro and decided to add additional greeblies and details as best I could to replicate the ILM pyro castings that have surfaced. Thanks DaveG, Hopson, Eaton, Droikmilk, and others for the pyro references. I know others posted or reposted references as well so I don't want to offend so thanks to all who have contributed over the years but many of the references have disappeared from the older threads. Additionally, the correct orientation ref pics from kk1 and keiko were immensely helpful! Made it easier to map out the paint work.
I'm guessing it's about a 80%er because the reference material is spars and grainy at best. I hope others can gets some ideas from this build as well. I thoroughly enjoyed the build and painting! Thanks to all for the assistance! Dave

IMG_3385.JPGIMG_3388.JPGIMG_3391.JPG
IMG_3510.JPGIMG_3507.JPGIMG_3506.JPGIMG_3503.JPGIMG_3500.JPGIMG_3497.JPGIMG_3512.JPG

She looks great, one of the most accurate Red 6 paint jobs I've seen. Bonus points for the green pentagon under the upper port wing, my favourite detail!

Cheers,

K.

Nice job. I like the paint work. I didn’t realize there were darker greens on Red 6.

I did a CC x-wing as Red 6 awhile back, but never realized it had the darker green along the droid strip, and the underside. I had always thought it was a pale greenish yellow.

Beautiful ship.

Appreciate the compliments keiko, Jkirkon, and el loco!

Jkirkon, I know some of the colors are subjective but in my minds-eye they looked more pea green in the reference photos. I came across a few threads mentioning green as well so I went with a unpainted primer pea greenish color that you might find on aircraft. Thanks!
Red 6 Green.JPG

Last edited:
Good job. I’d always been confused by the reference for red 6. Probably because some of the reference pics are flipped. This looks like you resolved a lot of the mysteries.

It’s interesting too that the r2unit paint job is nearly identical to the Ladd y-wing.

Scott Graham - Thank you very much! Here are the references I used to come up with the droid paint job. I read through a few threads and sites that suggested the Ladd Y-Wing droid and the Red 6 may have been one in the same or at least had very similar paint schemes. The R5 look-a-like seemed plausible since Porkins had R5-D8 in back.

Red 6 droid.jpg

I just have to post again and double down on my admiration for the accuracy here. I compared your shots against the reference photos and am very impressed with your interpretation of the paint work. I look at your shots and then squint at the references and say, "oh...yeah...he's right".

I saved your pics for an eventual supplement to my references for when I someday do this ship myself. It's the last (relatively) well known X-wing I plan to build from the original movie in 1/72 scale. "

Cheers,

K.

Thanks again for the kind comments Keiko!! Thank you again for posting your ref shots earlier this year. Really helped me out! I did a lot of image manipulation as well to try and see colors and details more clearly. I'd like to think I gave it an honest effort.

- - - Updated - - -

Appreciate it Lee S!!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back