Did George Lucas say why he changed Old Anakin Force Ghost to Mid Age Anakin?

I thought it had to do with something along the lines of the younger version of Anakin was pre-Vader, a little more pure (with the exception of the events in ROTS) and that version of him embodied the idea of a Jedi, while the older version represented the evil behind the mask for so many years. I thought I read that somewhere, but it could have been fan conjecture and not Lucas' vision.

I ALWAYS hated this excuse. If that were the case then Obi-wan and Yoda should have been shown in their prime as well...Poor guy who played vader had 10 seconds of screen time across all 3 movies and they bent him over on 7 of them. Lucas just liked to change things for his own reasons, he couldn't have cared any less if it made sense or not.

I ALWAYS hated this excuse. If that were the case then Obi-wan and Yoda should have been shown in their prime as well...Poor guy who played vader had 10 seconds of screen time across all 3 movies and they bent him over on 7 of them. Lucas just liked to change things for his own reasons, he couldn't have cared any less if it made sense or not.

I disagree, I don't think it's because he was necessarily in his "prime" as in powerful, etc, but it's when he embodied the true ideologies of a Jedi. I think Yoda and Obi-Wan never went off-course in their discipline, so they were always true and loyal to Jedi philosophies and thus when they died, there was no need for any other version of themselves.

But as I read some of the comments, I'm starting to think it was just tie-in for the new movies,

Last edited:
When did Qui Gon appear as a ghost? I don't recall that.

Obi wan was able to vocally project himself after a short period - death to the the trench run. I can't say he couldn't appear at that point, but a ghost appearing on front of the ship, while in flight, likely causes luke mental harm and prevents him from blowing up the DS :)

It was in the “master and apprentice” chapter. Quit on pulled himself together and appeared to obi wan for the first time. I can get the exact page later tonight when I get home

I believe in the last season of Clone Wars he appears to Yoda - which is how he knows to tell Obi-Wan about the ability.

This has plagued us for years, we never got a positive answer if that truly was qui gon or that dark side son screwing with anakin’s mind. This knew story says this is qui Gina first time physically appearing so I guess that was the dark side son screwing with anakin.

I didn't think he appeared either. Supposedly Qui Gon only learned part of the power that allows you to do this. So maybe his training in it wasn't complete when he died and he just did a WTH? and tried it and it partly worked.

as for the canon explanation, we got basically what george told filoni.

Anakins purest heart was back then, BEFORE even the scar on his face.

which doesnt make sense, because when old Anakin is dying there in the shuttle hanger... he's back to being in the lightside... i dont get it

Right now we are learning to become a physical force ghost is not a easy task... it took qui gon from his death, to the time obi wan was cleaning up dead jawa's at the sand crawler with the droids, for him to master it and physically present himself.

i think we will learn it took obi wan from the time of his death to the time he appears on hoth to appear... Yoda and Anakin, they learned the trick real quick lol

RE Taking a long time.. how about Obi-Wan force-talking to Luke in ANH? RIGHT after he's become a force Ghost? "Run Luke, Run!" and of course guiding Luke in his X-wing...

- - - Updated - - -

I disagree, I don't think it's because he was necessarily in his "prime" as in powerful, etc, but it's when he embodied the true ideologies of a Jedi. I think Yoda and Obi-Wan never went off-course in their discipline, so they were always true and loyal to Jedi philosophies and thus when they died, there was no need for any other version of themselves.

But as read some of the comments, I'm starting to think it was just tie-in for the new movies,

It was a tie-in for the new movies. It was so the people growing up with the new movies would see "their" Anakin and make the connection...

RE Taking a long time.. how about Obi-Wan force-talking to Luke in ANH? RIGHT after he's become a force Ghost? "Run Luke, Run!" and of course guiding Luke in his X-wing...

So they are using this as a excuse, there is no “time” in the netherworld of the force. Time just doesn’t exist...

So when obiwan gets cut Down to the time obiwan figures out how to talk to Luke, could be instantaneous or as long as it took him to appear in front of like in ESB

The book also covers the netherworld being timeless as well

For the record, qui gon appearing to obiwan for the first time. Is page 82, mind way down the page. In the book “certain point of view”

It’s a great book, I haven’t finished it yet, right now im almost done with the beginning and my only complaint is this is now the 4th Chapter I’ve read in the cantina that is the exact same as the pervious chapters BUT from the eyes of someone else.

First chapter was from greedo point of view, second chapter the bar tender, third the cantina band, and now the white fluffy alien that picks his nose... it’s getting kind old hearing the same story of Han shooting greedo... which to me when u read it sounds like han is back to shooting first

It really is a great read though, I enjoy it

I got a couple of Easter eggs if you guys want me to share, let me know

Sebastian Shaw only played unmasked Vader in ROTJ
All the body acting was David Prowse throughout the OT

This is the true Anakin.

young.jpg

Here we go Michaels starting crap again! MOM!!! Michaels doing that again!!!!

;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sebastian Shaw only played unmasked Vader in ROTJ
All the body acting was David Prowse throughout the OT

Except when it was Bob Anderson (most of the ESB/ROTJ fight scenes).

@halliwax, "From A Certain Point of View" is problematic, IMO, in that it comes after LFL saying "all the books will now be as canon as the movies"... except that this one... really doesn't work as such. Yeah, most of them are subjective viewpoints of the characters in question, but I have a really hard time believing that's what's going on inside Boba Fett's head. :facepalm

At any rate, there are problems in the OT. This is not news. Obi-Wan was following a specific arc that George had laid out (even if he changed his mind at the end). From when he was first cut down by Vader, he manifested first as a disembodied voice, then as a hazy and distant static figure, then as a closer and more distinct figure who was able to gesture, then, finally, as a "ghost" fully interactive with his surroundings, able to walk around trees and sit on a log. He was going to step back across the veil into corporeal form at the end to help Luke in his duel with Vader and the Emperor, but Lucas opted not to, as he felt that would undercut Luke's victory.

I can see Yoda taking to the technique faster. But Anakin immediately being able to manifest at at least an ESB-Dagobah level of visibility, clarity, and motion is a bit of a middle finger to Obi-Wan's efforts to get to that point. But then, he is the Chosen One... :rolleyes

--Jonah

George Lucas, on changing films... colorizing old B&W films (presumably so they can be sold again).... to the US Congress no less.

QUOTE "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society."

As for the topic at hand, I am guessing it was purely to tie in with the prequels, it makes no sense to me that Luke would see his father as Hayden. Its the end of his story and he should be reunited with Obi & Yoda as the man he should have grown into. Luke needed to finally meet his Father (and that sure shouldn't have been Hayden).

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole force ghost explaination is BS. It was a retcon after George forgot to have QGJ disappear in TPM. There was a much simpler answer all the way up to the awful explaination scene in ROTS. Obi Wan, Yoda and Anakin all knew they were about to die. They accepted and embraced their fate allowing them to become one with the force. Every Jedi in the PT was cut down in mid fight thus not allowing them that moment needed to join with the force.
Based on George's logic and the theory of new movie tie in, QGJ should have appeared in the line up and if he still owned LFL he probably would have altered it again.
If you watch SW chronologically the PT is just a spoiler for the OT. If watched in the (correct) order of release the question at the end of ROTJ is WTF is that guy with the creepy smirk on his face? Better still, just watch the OT and pop the PT in the bin!

Last edited:
Except when it was Bob Anderson (most of the ESB/ROTJ fight scenes).

@halliwax, "From A Certain Point of View" is problematic, IMO, in that it comes after LFL saying "all the books will now be as canon as the movies"... except that this one... really doesn't work as such. Yeah, most of them are subjective viewpoints of the characters in question, but I have a really hard time believing that's what's going on inside Boba Fett's head. :facepalm

At any rate, there are problems in the OT. This is not news. Obi-Wan was following a specific arc that George had laid out (even if he changed his mind at the end). From when he was first cut down by Vader, he manifested first as a disembodied voice, then as a hazy and distant static figure, then as a closer and more distinct figure who was able to gesture, then, finally, as a "ghost" fully interactive with his surroundings, able to walk around trees and sit on a log. He was going to step back across the veil into corporeal form at the end to help Luke in his duel with Vader and the Emperor, but Lucas opted not to, as he felt that would undercut Luke's victory.

I can see Yoda taking to the technique faster. But Anakin immediately being able to manifest at at least an ESB-Dagobah level of visibility, clarity, and motion is a bit of a middle finger to Obi-Wan's efforts to get to that point. But then, he is the Chosen One... :rolleyes

--Jonah

Bobas chapter was a total disappointment... it was what 4 pages?

You know my buddy said the same thing, “that’s not Boba Fett”

I️ don’t like Daniel Logan as Boba Fett in the clone wars either

I️ went back because the chapter was so small and reread it imagining Rorschach’s voice and slow tone in watchmen. It helped a little...

What I’m curious about is that female tuskin raider and if that was a green kyber crystal she found

The whole force ghost explaination is BS. It was a retcon after George forgot to have QGJ disappear in TPM. There was a much simpler answer all the way up to the awful explaination scene in ROTS. Obi Wan, Yoda and Anakin all knew they were about to die. They excepted and embraced their fate allowing them to become one with the force. Every Jedi in the PT was cut down in mid fight thus not allowing them that moment needed to join with the force.
Based on George's logic and the theory of new movie tie in, QGJ should have appeared in the line up and if he still owned LFL he probably would have altered it again.
If you watch SW chronologically the PT is just a spoiler for the OT. If watched in the (correct) order of release the question at the end of ROTJ is WTF is that guy with the creepy smirk on his face? Better still, just watch the OT and pop the PT in the bin!

I️ like that force ghost explanation!

@Greenie... The PT has its place, but I still maintain George needed to have a co-writer to hammer his ideas into an actual consistent narrative. We needed to leave the end of Episode III not knowing what Yoda looks like, not knowing Anakin becomes Vader, not knowing Luke has a sibling... A lot of what happens onscreen should have been less, or omitted, and a lot that happened off-screen (like the frikkin' Clone Wars) should have been prominent. If the conceit is that this is an homage to the Saturday morning movie serials writ large, then he can't/shouldn't rely on ancillary material to fill in the blanks. A line or two in Empire establishing that it's been years, not weeks or months, whouldn't have been amiss. Similarly, ROTJ should have been weeks or months at the most after Empire, not a year and a half.

Meanwhile, when Leia refers to the Clone Wars, we really should have been treated to more than the opening battle and the final days with the bulk of the wars (plural, dammit) falling in the gap between.

This is also why Rogue One is picture-perfect as an episode, and should be one, IMO. It ends on a cliffhanger that is resolved in the opening of the (chronologically) following film. How stupidly ironic is it that the standalone, non-Saga film is the most serial of all of them? Ten years between TPM and AotC, three years between AotC and RotS, nineteen years between RotS and ANH, three years between ANH and TESB, a year and a half between TESB and RotJ, thirty years between RotJ and TFA... At least TLJ follows on to the previous episode immediately. It'd be nice to see more of that.

I'm really hoping we see some Force ghosts before the endof Episode IX. One of the things I hated about the EU was that the authors didn't really know what to do with them. Obi-Wan should have appeared to Luke more after RotJ, not less. Him and Yoda advising him on how to train a new generation of Jedi, his father counseling him on how to avoid the mistakes he had made... We still have a twenty-four-year-long blank spot between the Battle of Jakku and Bloodline and I really want to know what Luke went through in there.

Bobas chapter was a total disappointment... it was what 4 pages?

You know my buddy said the same thing, “that’s not Boba Fett”

I️ don’t like Daniel Logan as Boba Fett in the clone wars either

I blame the writers for that, though. Daniel Logan is a great guy, albeit a bit of a partying dude-bro. But he's a good actor, and it's awesome to watch him pull in and adopt the presence of the OT Boba. Kind of chilling to watch his face close down.

From goofing around cuz being in the armor is fun...

bobafett_daniellogan1-jpg.115316

...to Being Boba™...

2b41b4ba818d8cebff5617b46e96b68fbac32b26_hq.jpg

And he's only gotten better at it:

daniel-logan-boba-fett-armor-no-helmet.jpg

daniel-logan-boba-fett-armor-helmet.jpg

Because I've seen Dan like this, that Boba story is so much more jarringly wrong.

What I’m curious about is that female tuskin raider and if that was a green kyber crystal she found

You also thinking Sharad Hett? ;)

--Jonah

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back