My Lifesize 1:1 The Force Awakens X-Wing Pilot

azheat01

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've always been a fan of the X-Wing Pilot outfit. The Luke X-Wing Pilot figure was one of my all-time favorites as a kid and I even remember having those Underoos in the early 80s. I really liked the transformation of the outfit from the OT to TFA. So, I decided to try and put one together on a budget. Won't be screen accurate, but that's not my thing and it would increase my budget anyway.

For the boots, I found these on Amazon for $28.00 and that included shipping. Since the jumpsuit legs go over the boot, I think I can make them work.

boots.jpg

I used my 3D printer and was able to print the belt paddles and a leg flare. I'm going to glue the flare halves together, smooth the surface, and make some resin copies. I also need to clean up the paddles a little.

IMG_5006.JPG

IMG_5005.JPG

I bought a Black Series helmet, a British Army PLCE web belt, roll pin buckles, and some misc webbing for the harness. I'll use DupliColor Vinyl and Fabric paint to spray them grey.

The chest box, chest plate, and gun will also be 3D printed.

Let's see how this goes............

Last edited:
The belt was a Sand Beige color, here's how it looks after using the grey fabric paint. I'll paint the other straps when they come in.

IMG_5007.JPG

Finished 3D printing the chest box, insert, and buttons........love having the ability to finally print odds and ends myself. A little cleanup and I can start painting this.

IMG_5017.JPG

IMG_5019.JPG

IMG_5020.JPG

Slow progress on this, but trying to move forward. These are the 3D printed belt paddles from above. I tried printing the curved versions previously, but didn't like the results. So I found it easier to print them flat and use a heat gun to slightly curve them. Did a little sanding then paint. I'm going to try and finish the entire harness next.

IMG_5040.JPG

IMG_5043.JPG

What 3D printer are you using on these items, I’m just curious. I saw there are paddles and chest boxes available on thingiverse, did you get these from there or did you model your own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What 3D printer are you using on these items, I’m just curious. I saw there are paddles and chest boxes available on thingiverse, did you get these from there or did you model your own?

I have an AnyCubic I3 Mega, here's the thread I started on it when I was researching printers................https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=282716

And yes, the files are from Thingiverse, I'm slowly learning 3D design but not quite there yet.

These were the different strap sizes I bought for the harness. They were green, tan, and white until I painted them with the Duplicolor Grey Vinyl and Fabric Paint.

IMG_5044.JPG

I added roll pins to some small pieces, added the paddles, and tried my hand at sewing since my wife was busy.........my lines were off but they'll do. I also heated up a bolt with my butane torch and made holes for the cylinders.

IMG_5047.JPG

I painted the cylinders and four screws grey. I took two more small pieces of strap, sewed them closed at the bottom, burned holes in them, and used the threaded aluminium cylinders to hold the paddle and roll pin sections to the loops. Then I added the leg straps and put the screws in the paddles. I also sewed a strap in the back to hold the main leg straps up.

IMG_5048.JPG

As far as materials, I have about $60 in this rig. Although not entirely "accurate", I'm pleased with how it turned out.

IMG_5049.JPG

Here's a shot of the mannequin. I'm trying to stay within a budget so I went ahead a bought an X-Wing jumpsuit and flight vest from XCoser. The jumpsuit I can use but I need to modify the vest. I got this last month on sale for $111 (for both pieces) with free shipping.

IMG_5054.JPG

I'll work on the leg straps and leg flares next, then work on a 3D printed blaster.

That looks great! Ive been looking at doing a resistance pilot costume myself (to wear) and I’ve seen the xcoser several times online. I do recall that there was a costume base one but it’s long gone. Doing a lot of searching, I found a thread on the rebel legion forums where one of the individuals was working with costumebase giving them specifics on how to update their flight suit and vest for better screen accuracy. According to one of his posts codtumebase is trying to have their new version out by TLJ next month.

I’ve also read that there is a Nerf Poe Dameron blaster that can easily just be repainted for a good prop too.

That looks great! Ive been looking at doing a resistance pilot costume myself (to wear) and I’ve seen the xcoser several times online. I do recall that there was a costume base one but it’s long gone. Doing a lot of searching, I found a thread on the rebel legion forums where one of the individuals was working with costumebase giving them specifics on how to update their flight suit and vest for better screen accuracy. According to one of his posts codtumebase is trying to have their new version out by TLJ next month.

I’ve also read that there is a Nerf Poe Dameron blaster that can easily just be repainted for a good prop too.

Thanks. Yeah, the vest needs a lot of work. Curios to see what they come up with. There's a few nice ones on Etsy, but no way am I spending $350.00+ just for a vest. I also need to dirty up this mannequin! As for the blaster, I bought the Nerf one but decided it was too big, so I gave it to my son. I'm going with a smaller printed one.

Rather than waste silicon and resin, I decided to just reprint 5 of the leg flares. It also makes them much lighter if I decide to wear this setup. I printed them vertically in one piece this time with supports. I just need to clean off some of the burs and do a little sanding, then paint and weather.

IMG_5055.JPG

I also took two lengths of strapping and sewed a holder. It'll do.........

IMG_5060.JPG

Thanks!

So I put the leg flares on and made the smaller straps that go just below the knee. It drives me nuts how dark these photos look, this looks lighter in person.

IMG_5081.JPG

I still need to do something with the flight vest, looks terrible. I think it will look better once I mount the chest box and plate. Speaking of chest box and plate, here are the final 3D printed pieces I did. I used a little bondo and some sanding and they look fantastic. The buttons / center panel are not permanently installed yet, just loosely fit into place until I finish some other small details. Love that I can 3D print these pieces myself. Most of the print lines that would be visible have been smoothed, the ones behind the buttons won't be seen and the ones in between the tight spaces won't be visible when I add the black.

IMG_5084.JPG

IMG_5085.JPG

Last edited:
Finally finding time to get back to this, completed the chest box and chest plate. I installed one green LED in the chest box (activated with a hidden switch) and dirtied up the mannequin's face a little.

IMG_5201.JPG

IMG_5202.JPG

Next I need to finish the 3D printed blaster. Once that's done, I just need to work on the crappy vest and this will be done.

IMG_5198.JPG

I'm running out of room!

IMG_5205.JPG

I have another figure already lined up though, gonna do an OT Snowtrooper next. One of my all time favorites, can't wait.........

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back