Amazon's Lord of the Rings (tv series)

Re: Lord of the Rings (tv series)

The rights holders obviously understand that name recognition is valuable. Oh Yeah.

I read that Sean Astin isn't surprised at all. He said hes been saying for years that LOTR would get remade one of these days. But he doubts he'd be recast as Sam.

Personally, I wouldn't want them to do this either. But if it does happen, I wish this time they would use actual little people as the Hobbits and Dwarfs. You can't get much cooler than Peter Dinklage, surely there are others. I've often wondered how much backlash there was from the Little People community with the Jackson movies for not using them for the lead actors instead of just long shots and body doubles.

There are several shots in LOTR where optically shrinking down the actors to Hobbit size just doesn't work for me. Shrinking them screws up the body proportions and a few times it just takes me out of the movie.

But that's what Hobbits are. They are shrunk-down big people (specifically, portly big people). Okay, with big feet. Real-world Little People are not proportioned like Hobbits.

That said, it could be a way to go in a TV series, Save a lot of trouble and expense with effects, and utilize a lot of underused Little talent.

oAE6aWL.gif

No, but seriously. I reread the books again not so long ago, which prompted me to re-watch the movies, extended editions of course, and while I love them to death, there is room for a different, maybe closer to the books adaptation.
Starting with the characters... Very torn on this, but on the off chance it gets a GoT like budget, a terrific production designer to bring Middle Earth back to life with a fresh take, solid writing and good blend of real practical effects mixed with CGI, only when necessary, I'm game. And they'll need one hell of a composer too, because that was all Jackson and Shore, no help from the books there.

But I've read the books a kajillion times....

Well okay, I've only read them about 5 or 6 times, so I'm certainly no expert. But I can't seem to remember any passages saying they didn't have the proportions of Little People. If there are, I concede. I just remember plenty of descriptions of clothes and feet and being kind of fat, but I don't remember any specifically saying their build was just Man shrunken down. Are you sure?

You know what? I am forced to separate a mental picture (influenced by decades of third party sources) from descriptions in the text. I actually don't know of anything that establishes proportions---mostly just height, and shorter legs. Are their skulls smaller than those of Men? Who knows. So your Hobbits are as good as mine!

The description when Bilbo is given the mithril shirt, "wrought for some young elf-prince long ago", might be an indication. Real world Little People are bigger around in the chest than Big Folk children, aren't they? But I can think of no establishment of skull size. The size of the helmet given to him in the same passage is not mentioned.

The Lord of the Rings Extended Edition films are perfect in my opinion. To be fair I did NOT read the books, so I'm going off of my knowledge of the story based on that.

That being said, I couldn't believe how bad the Hobbit films were coming from the very same Director, and they felt SOOOO much longer than the LOTR films.

I can't see this being made into a TV series. I mean I can, but I just can't see watching it after how solid my feelings are toward the LOTR trilogy.

If they do this, I hope that they tell the stories of the first age. I would love to have anacalon the black (he is a giant dragon) star in a season and also would like to see the events leading up to the first war against sauron. Or, they could tell us about the witch king of agmar and the other ringwraiths. They have a big opportunity; lets hope that they don't mess up.

I wouldn't mind a Silmarillion macroseries, with additional material from the LotR Appendices. The rising of the Elves, the raising of the Dwarves, the journey to the Uttermost West and the Elves who stayed behind, Numenor, betrayal, the Numenoreans in exile, Morgoth, Gondolin, the forging of the Rings of Power, the creation of Orcs and Balrogs, the Dragons of the North, the Goblin Wars... First Age into Second, finishing a little before the Last Alliance we saw at the beginning of Extended Fellowship.

That said, other fantasy worlds/stories I want to see done as macroseries: Both of David Eddings' worlds -- the Belgarath/Polgara series and the Sparhawk series (with a personal bias toward the Sparhawk books), Jim Butcher's Codex Alera, Jane Yolen's Dragons Blood series (though we may need to wait a little before another Dragon-focused series), and a non-atrocious Shannara series top my short list.

they could easily start with a young Dumbledor similar to how they are doing Gotham with young Jim gordon

I take it you didn't see Fantastic Beasts...he wasn't in it, but was mentioned. Apparently this is a 5 film series that's going to focus on the time of the villain Grindelwald which is young(ish) Dumbledore :)

That said, other fantasy worlds/stories I want to see done as macroseries: Both of David Eddings' worlds -- the Belgarath/Polgara series and the Sparhawk series (with a personal bias toward the Sparhawk books), Jim Butcher's Codex Alera, Jane Yolen's Dragons Blood series (though we may need to wait a little before another Dragon-focused series), and a non-atrocious Shannara series top my short list.

I would so love to see either one of David Edding's series adapted for TV or film, they'd probably get butchered to hell since they're not as big named as either Harry Potter or LotR are, but it still would be nice to see. Given the relatively little amount of magic and non-humans in either series they should be relatively cheap and easy to adapt. Maybe we should start a "Who would like to see in a Belgariad or Crystal Throne movie/TV series" thread.

Riceball, I got a very strong Elenium vibe from the knights in The Messenger. Mentioned it to my friends I saw the movie with. Turns out they thought the exact same thing.

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:

Middle earth where all your problems can be solved if you just call the Eagles. Need a lift out of fallen tree that is surrounded by orcs..Eagles, stuck on tower waiting to die...eagles, stuff getting too hot on lava rocks..Eagles. Getting your ass handed to you in a massive fight and need to win..Eagles. Could of take 3 movies issues in 30 minutes or less and saving thousands of lives..Eagles could done it. Never get the first call, only when your ass is hanging in the breeze. Give me a show of the Eagles doing TopGun fights,

Middle earth where all your problems can be solved if you just call the Eagles. Need a lift out of fallen tree that is surrounded by orcs..Eagles, stuck on tower waiting to die...eagles, stuff getting too hot on lava rocks..Eagles. Getting your ass handed to you in a massive fight and need to win..Eagles. Could of take 3 movies issues in 30 minutes or less and saving thousands of lives..Eagles could done it. Never get the first call, only when your ass is hanging in the breeze. Give me a show of the Eagles doing TopGun fights,

This sounds like a Shadiversity meme waiting to happen.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back