Need advice from fellow replicators

Ramsey

Sr Member
A guy online is asking for me to sell him a large number of one of my prop replicas....I think it sounds like an awful lot for one guy to want...maybe if he were giving them as Christmas presents, but I'm doubting that. Just seems to specific an item for something like that.
I put a lot of work on my replicas...is there a chance this guy is a recaster? I don't mind making several for someone, but not at the expense of having that person not only sell them for a profit, but also to take credit for my work. Any advice?

Maybe im crazy but if he was a re-caster wouldn't he only need one, not a bunch?

Possibly "stocking up on originals" to make molds from, as the old molds wear out, and originals are damaged during mold making?

Having a dozen of the originals lying around could keep him in business for quite a while if that's their plan.

How many are you talking about? Eight? Or, like, 45?

Ok, I may be confused about the term "recaster"....but I just don't like the idea of someone taking something I've put so much time and effort on and turning around to resell them for more than he paid for them..and possibly taking credit for them to begin with.May not be a huge deal to some people, but I take a lot of pride in the quality of what I do and the effort that goes into making them....and it's really not about the money issue at all, it's the idea that he might possibly be planning to sell them as if they are his own. I could be wrong...maybe I'm just being paranoid....but still......
Anyway, he's asking for 20 of them....and he's being very vague about his reasons...just has me suspicious.

Last edited:
Well, can always try putting a makers mark or name on whatever it is you're making, possibly package them in a manner that could have a business card or something in it that he may not be interested in removing/repacking, etc.

If he's got a name or a log on, you can always try googling that along with "RPF" or "Scam", or something like that, see if any threads or articles pop up.

At the end of the day, if I didn't think the person was going to reproduce what I was going to sell him, I'd make the items, earn some dough, and not worry about it unless they show up original works of someone else. Honestly, the things you sell one off can still be sold by any one of your customers as their own original or "unique" work; at least this guy would have the decency to drum you up a lot more business when he does it :p

Just my opinion, of course, but personally, if he pays good money for your wares, what do you care? So maybe he gives them to friends and tells them he made them. Maybe he shoves them up his bum while whistling Dixie. So what? He paid for goods they are his to do what he wishes (recasting notwithstanding, of course though this certainly doesn't appear to be the case). I mean, what's next? You want weekly progress reports on your sold items?:lol

I'm of the opinion that you're concerned that he found a venue where he can sell them for more and you can't. I say good for him. Our world is based on capitalism.

Last edited:
Perhaps if they're a re-seller you could check places like eBay and list your own at your normal price so people are less likely to purchase yours from the re-seller if that's the intent.

Last edited:
Well we already as replicators have to deal with the fact we are selling someone else's creation and design so I would not get too precious about my own stuff unless it's and absolute original. Be happy you are selling 20 and know the recasting police are pretty quick to bring things back to the RPF if they see it happening.

Once you send it to them, it is out of your hands.
If they do something dishonest, it will be very difficult to undo, if that is even possible.
If they set off your danger sense, just don't do it.
I have bought multiple copies of items from RPF creators, they were gifts, it would have stunk to *not* get those items after the seller agreed to sell.

To be honest, I also sometimes buy more than one copy of a certain replica. I have three reasons for this:

1. I can pick the nicest one for myself. Always nice to be able to choose.
2. For some great, fragile props, I like to have a "backup", in case the one on display gets damaged.
3. Sometimes I just buy an extra one as "investment". After all, this is an expensive hobby, and I can sometimes predict that a certain prop replica will only go up in price in the future. So indeed, sometimes I buy a prop, with the intention of selling it with a profit. That profit completely goes back into this hobby by buying other props.

Off course, it's not like I buy 10 copies of a replica to sell of 8 of them again. If the props are quite expensive, I might buy one extra with the purpose of reselling after a few months or even years... It's a bit like trading on the stockmarket, I guess... ;-)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back