Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member
    Nov 3, 2017, 12:50 PM - Re: suggestions for beginners! #26

The difference between a master craftsman and a regular craftsman often is how well you fix your mistakes. You are going to make them. Learning to fix them adds to your growing skill set and often yields new techniques that can be applied elsewhere. And sometimes mistakes turn out to be happy accidents because you end up liking the results better than what you were trying to do in the first place.
    Enjoy, the rabbit hole is deep and a lot of fun.
  2. RPF Premium Member jess the pirate's Avatar
    Nov 5, 2017, 5:59 AM - Re: suggestions for beginners! #27

its, I think, a Parmesan grater but I could be wrong. It works like a rasp on wood. Let me see if I can find a pic...
  3. RPF Premium Member jess the pirate's Avatar
    Nov 5, 2017, 6:08 AM - Re: suggestions for beginners! #28

https://www.amazon.com/Microplane-45.../dp/B003RVV2GK
    like that. only I bought mine in the kitchen section of poundland though
  4. Member Since
    Jan 2015
    Nov 5, 2017, 9:40 PM - Re: suggestions for beginners! #29

poundland took me a second haha, you are from the UK! im a canuck. thanks for taking the time to post the link for clarity
    Nov 6, 2017, 12:39 AM - Re: suggestions for beginners! #30

What sorta genres and franchises are you into?
  6. Member Since
    Jan 2015
    Nov 6, 2017, 1:27 PM - Re: suggestions for beginners! #31

thegoodlifeADI said: View Post
    What sorta genres and franchises are you into?
    well, id like to be conservative but that would be a lie. i can only say i love most sci fi, superhero, spy, and fantasy stuff and some videogame worlds. im an open minded fan of creativity at the risk of sounding hokey
    Nov 6, 2017, 1:50 PM - Re: suggestions for beginners! #32

I personally would say start with maybe making some foam Halo weapons? Andrew DFT has soom good tutorials and templates for that, my first foam build was an Iron Man helmet, which is also easy to find files for as well. The biggest thing is just start! Don't be afraid to just attempt something, the worst thing that will happen is you will have learned something.
  8. RPF Contest Coordinator RPF Premium Member Michael Bergeron's Avatar
    From
    Everybody's lost but me!
    Nov 6, 2017, 2:21 PM - Re: suggestions for beginners! #33

Cinsev said: View Post
    I should clarify, imnot officially an apprentice with a prop house or anything i just approach life as a learner. im always an apprentice haha.

sidenote: is anybody going to see adam savages show brain candy? im considering one of the ones here in ontario where you can do a meet and greet. thoughts?
    Where in Ontario are you? We have a pretty good local community that would be happy to welcome you into the "maker" world. We get together every year at the Toronto Prop Expo. You can find us on FB. I'm in Burlington and I frequently have folks over to work on builds.

As for starter projects, I always recommend picking up a resin kit and building it. You'll teach yourself finishing and building techniques. Don't rush it, do LOTS of research, and don't pressure yourself to get it perfect first time. Like any other skill practice makes perfect.
  9. Member Since
    Jan 2015
    Nov 6, 2017, 2:38 PM - Re: suggestions for beginners! #34

thegoodlifeADI said: View Post
    I personally would say start with maybe making some foam Halo weapons? Andrew DFT has soom good tutorials and templates for that, my first foam build was an Iron Man helmet, which is also easy to find files for as well. The biggest thing is just start! Don't be afraid to just attempt something, the worst thing that will happen is you will have learned something.
    this is good advice always! i am moving to a new place in few days that has actual space so ill have room to work, and not drive my lady crazy. haha

Where in Ontario are you? We have a pretty good local community that would be happy to welcome you into the "maker" world. We get together every year at the Toronto Prop Expo. You can find us on FB. I'm in Burlington and I frequently have folks over to work on builds.

As for starter projects, I always recommend picking up a resin kit and building it. You'll teach yourself finishing and building techniques. Don't rush it, do LOTS of research, and don't pressure yourself to get it perfect first time. Like any other skill practice makes perfect.
    I am currently in oakville, 43 years old, been doing art in various ways for years, decided to try and get into more hands on stuff. as of nov 15th ill be in cambridge ontario. still though its nice to know there are some builders nearby!
  10. RPF Contest Coordinator RPF Premium Member Michael Bergeron's Avatar
    From
    Everybody's lost but me!
    Nov 6, 2017, 3:46 PM - Re: suggestions for beginners! #35

I am currently in oakville, 43 years old, been doing art in various ways for years, decided to try and get into more hands on stuff. as of nov 15th ill be in cambridge ontario. still though its nice to know there are some builders nearby!
    Wow, REALLY close. I'm in Burlington.

Cambridge not so much!
  11. Member Since
    Jan 2015
    Nov 6, 2017, 3:48 PM - Re: suggestions for beginners! #36

Michael Bergeron said: View Post

Cambridge not so much!
    its not that bad 30 minute drive! not so bad in the scheme of north american fans of the hobby
  12. Member Since
    Jan 2015
    Nov 9, 2017, 1:41 PM - Re: suggestions for beginners! #37

@Michael Bergeron how often does the group meet and where? pretty interested in learning and talking about this stuff
  13. RPF Contest Coordinator RPF Premium Member Michael Bergeron's Avatar
    From
    Everybody's lost but me!
    Nov 10, 2017, 5:08 PM - Re: suggestions for beginners! #38

@Michael Bergeron how often does the group meet and where? pretty interested in learning and talking about this stuff
    We have one big event a year, usually in August, the Toronto Prop Expo (you can find us on Facebook) but aside from that it's rarely anything official. Sometimes we get a few of us together and work on something.
  14. Member Since
    Jan 2015
    Nov 10, 2017, 7:28 PM - Re: suggestions for beginners! #39

We have one big event a year, usually in August, the Toronto Prop Expo (you can find us on Facebook) but aside from that it's rarely anything official. Sometimes we get a few of us together and work on something.
    sounds neat! maybe shoot me a note next time you are set to meet!
  15. RPF Premium Member Mr Mold Maker's Avatar
    From
    L.A.
    Nov 10, 2017, 10:06 PM - Re: suggestions for beginners! #40

In my industry? The work is very quickly leaving the hands of practical guys and going to the keyboards of digital sculptors and modelers. I can't think of very many big props or costumes recently that weren't designed and often completely executed with growing and CNCing technologies.

My suggestion would be to learn 3D modeling in combination with practical hand skills... favoring the 3D world as it opens more doors IMO.
    Last edited by Mr Mold Maker; Nov 17, 2017 at 5:22 PM. Reason: Spell da wurdz gud
  16. Member Since
    Jan 2015
    Nov 17, 2017, 10:00 AM - Re: suggestions for beginners! #41

We have one big event a year.
    funny, i didnt mean to be a poet there in my last post

My suggestion would be to learn 3D modeling in combination with practical hand skills

i used to be a 3d animator so making that adjustment shouldnt be too challenging, just the need to find a local place that will do 3d printing since im just starting out.
    Jan 14, 2018, 4:26 AM - Re: suggestions for beginners! #42

I'd say, don't get discouraged and give up. Keep trying. It's a learning experience. Also, sand paper and filler is your friend. Lol.